• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Ghastly Realm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Ghost murlocs!
99624df271f572e016de78690d9d91e4.jpg

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I have made some parts spectral. I don't wanna overdo it though

edit:

The Night Elven druids try to summon the spirit of Malorne to aid them.
However, things to not go as planned and they manage to summon his evil counterpart.
Ralle incarnate.

4c2d7fdc3707c54b8227b38227a57e54.jpg

Why the WoW model?
Because it has a dance animation I can play when I do the summon cinematic.

Last edited:
Level 13
I have the story line for mine planned out. It definitely takes place in a ghastly realm, though this realm isn't parallel or overlapping to the mortal plane (if that makes sense). As such, i wont be making main characters appear like ghosts as this realm of the dead has its own separate existence (well, technically it exists within a shard of a sword :p).

Bonus cookie if you can guess where i'm going with the lore!

Here are the unique gameplay features i have so far:

• Randomized waves: the order waves appear in is not fixed (and you will not see every wave, every game). Wave difficulty dynamically scales with both player count and current level.
  • Affixes: the first 5 waves gain 1 "skill" affix, currently these include:
    • Raging: mobs enrage when below health
    • Regenerating: mobs steadily recover lost health
    • Veiled: evades all physical attacks whilst at high health
    • Exploding: detonates upon death
    • Reviving: spawns a spirit upon death that turns into a new mob if not killed within 10 sec
The plan is to add a different set of affixes for waves 6-10 (where each wave has 1 of the old affixes, and 1 of the new affixes) and for waves 11-15 (1 of the first, second and third set of affixes for 3 affixes). Basically to make the game increasingly complicated.

Currently i'm working a reward system where you are given a choice of 3 random rewards (via dialog box) after each wave and you can choose what's best. Heroes are non-existent but i plan to use a similar design in one of my other works where things scale by attributes.

wip1-jpg.251982

wip2-jpg.251983

Level 10
I have made some parts spectral. I don't wanna overdo it though

edit:

The Night Elven druids try to summon the spirit of Malorne to aid them.
However, things to not go as planned and they manage to summon his evil counterpart.
Ralle incarnate.

4c2d7fdc3707c54b8227b38227a57e54.jpg

Why the WoW model?
Because it has a dance animation I can play when I do the summon cinematic.

I'm really loving your map!!

Level 22
This will be interesting contest. This must be the same as terraining contest.. hmm...
EDIT:
Is there a map size requirement?
Except that this is a mini-mapping contest which means the submission must be playable just like any other normal map. I don't think there is but if the size is too big, it won't be very convenient to download and may even increase the loading time if I'm correct.

Level 24
I am a huge fan of having the map and the resources separated.
The map only contains the code and the terrain.
The models and such are in a separate folder that comes with the map that you have to place in your warcraft 3 folder.
This way, I can have the map only contain some essential data and have high quality models and textures, sounds, music, icons all outside of the map. (Especially with models/textures and music, this is a savior for Battle.net.)
Battle.net requires the map to not be larger than 8MB, but that does not include the local files. So I can play maps with the largest filesize resources on battle.net without problem.

There are a few exceptions of resources that cannot be loaded by local files such as tilesets, scripts, configurations, etc which I import to the map with the Import Manager.

The only downside of it is, that you have to download that folder as well and have to place it in your WC3 folder.

So, in essence, the map will be between 1 and 4 MB and therefor playable.

Level 26
Well, this time, the rules is already set, and changing rules in the middle of a contest is never good. I forgot about the 8mb rule in this contest, which is why answered as I did in my last post.

This means, that in this contest, a submission like the one you described can not be accepted. However, since there is a way around the 8mb rule that may not have been used when the rule was written for the first contest, it may be removed for the next contest (I think it should anyway), but for this contest, no.

Level 24
The rules state that a map must be below 8MB so it can be played in Battle.net.
My map, using local files, is completely legit according to that rule.

There are ways around the 8MB limit, but this is not one of them.

If i wanted to change the rules, then i would make a request of a rule change.
In this case, i am asking for clarity over a subject that is not described by the rules.

Level 13
Done some changes:
Map1.jpg
Map2.jpg

the invisible floor is so cool, how come i've never seen it done before? :eek:

The rules state that a map must be below 8MB so it can be played in Battle.net.
My map, using local files, is completely legit according to that rule.

There are ways around the 8MB limit, but this is not one of them.

If i wanted to change the rules, then i would make a request of a rule change.
In this case, i am asking for clarity over a subject that is not described by the rules.

if a map uses another folder, isn't it more than just a map? that's my two cents :p

Level 8
There are some nice terrains and WIPs in here. Very nice indeed.

Not sure whether I should join or not. I am at best, a novice, at creating terrain. :/

Level 21
Terraining itself is a very minor part of the scoring. As long as it fits the theme and style of your map and isn't a jumbled mess, you should be fine. In fact, all you might need is a unique gameplay mechanic to DESTROY THE COMPETITION! :mwahaha:Terrain is probably the easiest thing to go back and improve later if you feel the need to.

Level 15
Terraining itself is a very minor part of the scoring. As long as it fits the theme and style of your map and isn't a jumbled mess, you should be fine. In fact, all you might need is a unique gameplay mechanic to DESTROY THE COMPETITION! :mwahaha:Terrain is probably the easiest thing to go back and improve later if you feel the need to.

The man is right.

Level 19

The man is wrong. Terrain for the win!

No seriously, if you sum up going for the theme (20%) and having a nice terrain (30%), terrain itself makes up for 50%, 10% over the 40% too gameplay. Of course that is not that much, as actually good gameplay almost imply good triggers, making it an overall 50% vs 50%. So yeah. Focus on terrain is actually a viable strategy.

Level 10
Well he's not completely wrong/right
Almost everything in the map must be according to the theme, so that includes good terrain, good gameplay, a feeling according to the theme, and something else that fits the theme that will probably stand out, or be unique from the different maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.