• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Ghastly Realm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
3.png

ShadowIsles.png
Ghastly Realm
Contestants are to create a map that has to deal with ghosts/spirits/souls and the like.
The entire map can for example take place in the realm of the dead.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline in the contest thread. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission should be mostly bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited. You may make new models, icons, etc specifically for the contest.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • Finished entry and judges: 5 reputation points

judges.png

• Rex.
  • Judge #2
Contact me if you want to be a judge in this contest!

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

ThemeDoes the entry comform the contest theme "Ghastly Realms"?20%

Gameplay
The fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player?
e.g. Are the spell effects satisfying, is there replayability, is the plot compelling, ...?
40%
AestheticsIs it good looking terrain-wise? How polished are the details such as preview pictures, title, in-game texts and icons?30%
TriggersDoes the map run well performance-wise?
Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, etc.
10%
  • 65% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on November 1st, and conclude on December 31st, 23:59 GMT, GMT

Level 13
Oooooooo, good choice!

I wonder how far the theme will be stretched. I think it's quite easy to make a ghastly backstory for any type of map and to then incorporate ghastly realm elements into it, e.g. a melee map in the spirit realm, a TD defense against waves of ghost-type monsters, a survival against spirits, an adventure through a graveyard...

The deadline is quite generous, gives plenty of time to materialize a simple idea yet also enough time to build something more complicated.

I think i'll brainstorm some things for myself and see if i can conjure a good idea to make.

Good luck all!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
f8f19272fa8bf1243e7aa88df831d4e3.png

by Chaosy
Damnation is a Single Player, melee themed suvival map.

Goal

Survive for 15 (might change) minutes and then defeat the final boss to win.
Achieve this through normal melee map gameplay.

What if different?

In General
  • Creep camps respawn (done)
  • The AI's part of the map contains many OP towers, forcing the player to be on the defense all the time. (done)
For the player
  • Increased gold from mining / harvesting (done)
  • Reduced construction time / training time (done)
  • For every five heroes the player kills his units/heroes gain some sort of bonus.
For the AI
  • The AI does not have to train troops, they are periodically spawned in waves. (System done, setting up the waves not done)
  • All hero abilities are improved, more damage, longer duration, less manacost, stronger summons, AoE instead of single target etc (depends on the spell) (done)
  • Creep camps occasionally join the AI team and assault the player.
  • The AI summons a huge boss after 15 minutes, until it is summoned it will cast spells from the void to help the AI. (Such as flame striking random locations)

86b9edb2f0b19cb7a01144d0a964527e.jpg

6baabb1613f19be152888558c89124ab.jpg

520d121cb589fb4d6989b2dca890e7a9.jpg

3b3ccc96ce535824db5ebb0f34a6741f.jpg
cd2a8bf077a0cc70f64621451e232711.jpg

eaf22b04a960c211b7f6a2d67004316f.jpg

40c6b5af5dcc17fd4fbe5cf46b2796c7.gif

99624df271f572e016de78690d9d91e4.jpg

Imported some stuff, nothing else done.
Already facing issues with invisible models.

Oh well, Imma sleep and hope for it to fix itself magically overnight.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

What's the definition of mini-mapping? Is it just referring to the small development time?

Level 26
Actually the rules state nothing about the matter. I guess that generally, maps of those contests doesn't get very big, because of the deadline, and therefore they become "mini".
It might aswell just be called mapping contest actually...

A tiny map game might be fun to make again! Hope I will find an idea.

About this "mini map" discussion-- me personaly see "mini maps" as maps which are fairly easy to play and have a high learning curve.
The goal should be a pretty clear and easy to understand, and the gameplay should not include too complex mechanics in it's main theme.

Of course pretty much all custom maps are kind of minigames, but the "Minigame" contest should probably underline the simplicity as a goal.

Level 25
Still waiting for Tickles to come and rob the prize
That fool is busy working on Lizard Gaiden II right now :prazz: Definitely following the contest, though.

Still working on making the textures grayscale.
I cannot seem to find the textures for some water/fire stuff ;p
Have you tried exporting the models from the MPQ and checking their texture paths or particle emitter textures from there? Water is a pain in the boo-tay since it uses so many different textures, but it's under ReplaceableTextures/Water. Your map sounds like it's going to be interesting.

Level 13
Liking the greyscale feel, very ghastly :p. Reminds me of being dead in WoW. I think i'll be going for something more cold to convey ghastliness though...

I'm going to have a stab at making a hero survival (since that's the only real type of map i have experience in).

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Small RPG? if you pull a decent one, consider me impressed.

edit:
I am done for today. Hopping to bed.
520d121cb589fb4d6989b2dca890e7a9.jpg

Tomorrow I will see if I can find a better sky, and after that I will probably implement some old systems of mine into the map.
After that I will probably write up a presentation of the map. I got the brainstorming done in pastebin already I just need to structure it up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Rex., Judge #2, have I ever told you how beautiful you look like?

Also, mini game it is then, just to be safe! Although I might not finish it in time, it should be fun to at least give it a shot.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Warcraft 3 water has 40 textures that play in order, I doubt it would be worth it to grayscale it.
Tickles kindly offered me a water model he made himself, it only uses one texture.

Right now I only changed the tinting which makes it dark-grey-ish, which is no ideal but it's a okay placeholder.

What is Mini-Map? I do not know! Is it like a terrain map?
A map with smaller scale.
No RPG with 256x256 etc.

Not a terrain map. This one has to have some kind of gameplay aswell.
There are terraing contests if that's what you are looking for. :)
In theory yes. It might be hard to make a mini-game like AOS though. Icemanbo also wrote what he considered to be a mini-map, you may wanna give that a look.
Hmmm, ok!

Spent some time working on the AI side of the map, you're not supposed to play there but since you can take a scout unit and invade the location I still have to terrain it ;P

3b3ccc96ce535824db5ebb0f34a6741f.jpg
cd2a8bf077a0cc70f64621451e232711.jpg
Do you want to use triggers for this Mini-Map or you want to finish it according to use just terraining, Chaosy??

Status
Not open for further replies.