• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Long time no see, a little texturing fun I had

Level 20
Preview.png

So I've finally gotten around to getting my first fully custom unit released!

Baby Gryphon Courier

Now it's missing effects and all that jazz because well, it's taking me a good time to figure this out, crashes and corrupt files all over! But it's slowly getting there.

Level 20
Hey guys! So I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC, almost completely rebuilding it so I'm a little blocked as of now!

However once that's done I now have a proper work license for 3Ds Max 2016 which supposedly works better with NeoDex according to good old Tauer, so hopefully things might start going my way again soon!

Level 11
Hey guys! So I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC, almost completely rebuilding it so I'm a little blocked as of now!

However once that's done I now have a proper work license for 3Ds Max 2016 which supposedly works better with NeoDex according to good old Tauer, so hopefully things might start going my way again soon!

Really looking forward to the release of all textures/models in this thread.

Amiright

Level 50
I really like your models so far. From the pictures you've shown everything looks nice. But, considering texturing I don't think the models will blend with in game ones. It's not something bad, but I think your texturing is way HQ for warcraft. Don't get me wrong, if you look at Tauer's textures you'll see what I was talking about.
I already noticed this with your uploaded gryphon model, everthing looks perfect, mesh, animations, just texture worries me a little.

Level 50
Cheers Stefan, yeah that's sort of my goal. I want to take the graphical specs from WC3, same low polycounts, same small textures. And really push it to the max. I want to prove that the game can look much better than it does :3
Indeed it can look better. We modelers are here to prove that, with, or without custom textures. I can't wait to see animations now. From the gryphon model you uploaded and it's animations it seems this is gonna be one hell of a model(in a good way, ofc).

Level 50
Mannn, you did it. Great job, very warcraft-y look. I hope the shield isn't finished yet.
I think when you start uploading your models you will have them all moderated with DC. Well, you would get DC, not we dont have that kind of moderation.
Edit: just saw your comment. I'm looking forward to see it released.

Level 20
@Eat_Bacon_Daily Thanks man! Yeah the engine can absolutely support it, it's all in the texture. The face I'm using for this guy is way lower in polycount than the original WC3 model.

@Arowanna I'll try to do a breakdown sometime, been meaning to do it for a while anyway. No real magic happening here, 3D texture painting in 3Dcoat, so I model first, UV map and then throw the mesh into 3Dcoat.

From there on I work just like in photoshop, paint with my tablet, paint paint paint.

Level 50
Here's a lil' snap of the face mesh it looks a little odd without the helmet on since there's so much shadow being cast form it onto his face, but its should give you a general idea of how it works :3
View attachment 272236
Just make sure to look how warcraft portrait models work. You'll need to make the inside of the mouth. Just look at some portrait models in game.

Level 20
Ain't nothing really finished untill Neodex starts working as it should or someone can give me a crash course on how to work other tools to create the same results.

Tauer's back now though and NeoDex seems to be running better with Max 2016, so I'm back to working on finishing up Thrall.

Level 20
Hey guys, sorry for being completely dead for quite a while now, in a bit of a rough spot in life atm!

Neodex is still completely non-functional when it comes to exporting the models and I've no access to older versions of max that it might be supporting.

It got to a point where it was driving me mad, I've thus decided that I don't mind sharing my texture and mesh work with anyone who may want them, however until a proper way to do this with modern tools surfaces I will not be able to finalize the assets myself.