• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Life of a Settler

Should the map be protected or not?

• The map should be protected (Yes)

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • The map shouldn't be protected (No)

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • It dosn't matter if the map is protected or not (I don't know)

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Thanks, I really like hearing that ;)
It make me feel that I do something that is worth sharing it.

The map is being slow to make, I know.
But I take the time to make it as best as I can, so you guys, have the most enjoyable experience on warcraft 3.

I got a lot of projects. But this one is a priority for me.

Thanks again guys for all your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Level 5
Sorry guys, but due to some problems I need to stop working on the map for now.
I'll try to continue it when I can, but as I said, there will be no updates until I get my problems done.

I'm really sorry.

Level 5
Update!

I've been asked by a friend to make a project. We (me and my friend.) make a game. I'm sorry but this map won't be updated as much that I was.

There's the schedule I have right now so you understand what I mean...

Week:
Sunday - Working on my friend's project.
Monday to Friday - Working at my job. At night I'm working on my friend's project and working a bit on the map when I have time.
Saturday - Working on the map as much I can handle for this day. (Which means about 4-5 hours.)

When I'm getting back home after work, I have about 3 hours until I need to go sleep to work the next day, so I have only about 30 minutes or about 1 hour to work on the map. (Since my friend want our project done really quickly, I need to work on it.)

I'll try to make a better schedule once I can. But for now it will stay like that. (I have about 6 more weeks until I'm done with my job. Not that I quit, but this job will be over... Summer job ;) )

Anyway, thanks again for all your support and comments guys, I hope I'll be able to bring up an update really soon. I've been working on the terrain a bit and since last week I'm working on the units and items. This week I've been working a bit on triggers too.
In the next weeks I'll be working in those mostly.

Thanks again for all the support.

Cordially, Avarthar.

(Little spoil: ;) The map is on a good way to be protected until I hit a specific version ;) )
(Little spoil 2: Few versions of this map will be unprotected with maybe a tutorial with it, so it's easy to use as a starter kit.)

Last edited:
Level 5
@Leo, if you want to help, you're welcome.
An easy way of helping would be making a map with all the things you want to add, then I'd add them back in the main project.
For the terrain, I've already made an update on my version. I'm still fixing few things on it before releasing it. (I'm working area by area, so it's kinda long to make...)

As soon I'm done with the terrain I'll be accepting units/items. (Much faster and easier to add than a terrain ;) )

Thanks tho for offering your help.

@Arad MNK, Yea, I'm sorry of not being able to keep you guys updated.
I'm aware that this project is interesting.
When I started making this map I wasn't even sure of finishing it... But when I posted it here and saw all the comments, I thought that it could be great to have another map like FOTN.

Once again, I'm accepting all the help!
A single unit can make the map done much faster.

As of the screenshots, I know... They are mostly outdated. Since last weeks I've started working at a summer job.

I'm working on few older projects that made me come to this map. So I want to make these before Life of a Settler.

But as I probably said (Sorry if I didn't), Life of a Settler is one of my first priorities.

The schedule I posted earlier is the current one I have. I've not included all the projects I'm working on, so you guys don't think I'm not keeping time for LoaS.

Here's what I do on the map right now:
I'm working on the story mostly.
The story is an important part of the rpg.
A rpg with no story means nothing and will get no attention.
I got a short story right now, but I'm working on a much longer one.
Once I finish the story I'll start implementing back some FOTN features and some custom ones too.

I'm also working on a video that may come useful for that map. (Maybe few... Tutorials and suchs ;) )

Thanks again for supporting me. I really appreciate it.
I'll keep the thread updated as much as I can.
I'm still sorry if I can't update it as I should be... (I have a lot of things happening here that prevent me of continueing the map as I'd want to.)

Cordially, Avarthar.

Level 6
Protection of the map is meant to avoid fake versions of a famous map, to compress the size down of a map, or to disallow cheating of maps which are using those long annoying save codes.

Right now at its stage, your maps is WAYYYYYYYY too basic to even need at all protection. And I doubt there is anything to be compressed at all.

Level 5
@Arad MNK, sorry but I didn't have time this week to work on the map. (I got a job to pay for a better computer, to make this map even better...)

@Metalbear, "Your maps is WAYYYYYYYY too basic to even need at all protection."
The version here isn't the last one. I've been working on an update that should greatly increase the map quality. (I'm not talking of the graphics tho... Warcraft III graphics are pretty limited...)

The protection also protect the map from being stolen... If this map was completly unprotected, my work would be taken and then the stealer would change everything to make it not work and then say I did it... (I don't want things like that happen to this map.)

For now the map will stay unprotected, since some don't matter about it being unprotected or being protected.

As soon the poll get its majority in the "Yes" answer, it will be protected.

Sorry if I can't give as much information as in the last post, but I'm a bit tired of today... I just came back from work and I need to rest a bit.

I'll try to work on the map tomorrow if there's nothing that requires me.

Tho, as I said on the last post (sry If I didn't), me and my friend are starting a game project, I'm the one that will code, make the models and musics, He's doing the story... So I might not have a lot of time for this map anymore...

(Sorry if it takes more time than I thought it would...)
The map creation is being slowed a bit, but I really want it done as soon as I can.

If you guys have any questions concerning the map, just post it here, I should be answering not long after.

I will post the latest version as soon I've done my "copyright" text.

The copyright must be read and accepted before editing the map tho. (As for now, just try to not break everything... or not steal everything from the current versions...)
The copyright should be done soon. (I'll be working on it before posting any other releases...)

Level 5
Quick update!
I've decided to go sleep a bit later tonight, so I'll be working on the map for the next hour or so.

I've added a new screenshot that shows the new cities.
The bottom left city is a naga one, (will be an enemy of everyone.)
The top right one is the west area city.

You can now have only one wife!
I've added the huntress wife!

For the next hour I'll be adding few triggers, tomorrow I should be working on the copyright text so I can release an update as soon as I can.

Level 5
@leo, yea thats a great idea, I might implement it ;)
I've already thought to make the players being able to build specific buildings in naga's water. (It would require the building to be in that specific region to be built.)

For the curse, I'll make it so only few naga units can go out of the water.

I might add a naga wife tho, it would require the player to be friendly with the naga's which could be a really long quest.

@hip, thanks for this comment, I've already noticed it, but it confirms what I taught.
(I've released the screenshot to show where I was with the map for now.)

For now I'm working on the trigger mostly, but the terrain is getting few improvments when I have time for it.

Thanks again guys for your comments, it really helps me with the map.
Every comments are important, so if there's anything that dosn't fit what you want, just tell me and I'll make sure it fits everyone's :)

Level 5
@directive255, for the orc civilization, I had already planed to add them ;) But it makes me want to add it even more since some other people want it ;)

@Leo Akastenix, it could be good to have classes like death knights.

@hiphop4eva, yea, I'll probably make classes that can be obtained by doing a specific quest. (Tho, choosing a certain class will lock and unlock some other classes and subclasses.)

For the Death Knights I'd make this:
1. Need to be a Paladin.
2. Need to be corrupted by a specific undead monster.
3. To be a paladin you must be an adult, not have any wife and have at least 20k golds.
4. Need to do a big quest (or multiple ones.)

Tho, all the ideas that I take of your comments will make the authors added to the credits for sure. ;)

Thanks again for posting comments.

Little update, tomorrow I'll be able to update the map for about 1-2 hour or maybe more, since I need to wait my friend... (We got a little event here...)

Anyway I'm going to sleep while I can ;)
Have a great day/night, I'll try to keep the thread updated a bit more if I can.

Level 8
Okay, I got a great idea, promotion! Its just like evolving, you need to do quests or different stuff to get promoted. Basically there is this meter;

Hero's Path Founder's Path
<----------------Mixed---------------->

The hero's path is the path where your main focus is the hero. You will still have buildings but not as much as founder or mixed people do.

The founder's path is more about your empire than your hero. You will have more variety of buildings than mixed or hero people.

Mixed is, well, mixed.

The promotion line goes like this; You first start as a settler. You can, then, become a better settler to unlock more buildings and units, and you can buy more stuff from shops. After that, your path splits into two, you can be a footman, which goes to the hero's path, or be a builder, which goes to the founder's path.

If you become a footman, then you unlock more shop buildings and abilities. Then you can become a captain to unlock the barracks building to train more footmen. You also unlock more abilities. Then you can either be a paladin, or a knight.

Paladin gets holy abilities and such. They can also train priests. After that, you can choose either death knight, or archpaladin. Death knight later on can become death champion and archpaladins can become lightbringers.

If you choose knight then you can use weapons more efficiently. (You dont need to ride horses to be a knight) Then you can become a crusader.

If you choose to be a builder, you can become a king and you can become a good one or a tyrannical one and blablabla.

If you die in the game, you become undead and kill people. Yay. But please dont mistake corrupted humans with undead, death knights and necromancers are corrupted humans while ghouls or wraiths are undead. You cannot be a corrupted human after you die, and you can only be undead after you die. (Or maybe a special event?) Undead is similiar to the human path, you can either be an undead warrior or an undead ruler.

Of course, these promotions are not just pushing one button and upgrading yourself, you need to do some quests and get money or get items to get promoted. And there will be more promotions, like bandits and bandit lords, or maybe after a naga's curse event you become naga and can become naga royal guards and similiar naga units.

I cant wait to play this map after its fully released and make my kingdom of Landania! (Yes, literally land and a ''nia'' put into its end.)

E: Red starts with two settlers.

E2: Btw, currently forests doesnt look like forests, there is very low amounts of trees. I recommend you check out Werewolf Transylvania's (Or Fotn's, you are more similiar with that I guess) forests, they have a lot of trees, but those trees are not placed randomly, they are only in groups and shapes. This way, the wilderness will look like forests while opening up some space for you to build.

Yeah, when I try the map as red, I have two settlers?

Also, I don't know how to unlock more stuffs in your game... I built tons of tents, train slaves, built guard towers and attacked Player 11... but still I am limited to tents and crops...

EDIT: Terrain can be improved. I suggest replacing the Summer Trees with Ashenvale Trees, they look more ancient and forestish. Also, you can add more tile variations to the forest area. Add more non-collision doodads such as the Ashenvale mushrooms, shrubs, Lordaeron rocks, etc,

EDIT 2: Perhaps you should give the three premade NPC kingdoms a name? Like Kingdom of Strazura?

Level 5
@hiphop, "But please dont mistake corrupted humans with undead"
Thanks, I didn't really knew how to really explain what I meant, but you did with your text ;)
For the kingdoms, yea I'll name them, I'll make a strawpoll soon to see which name should be used for the three kingdoms (I'll make 3 different ones so it's easier to choose them ;) )

For your kingdom, yes you'll be able to name it, you'll even be able to choose if the villagers can build and where they can build (depending on where you'r at. )

I'd make this:
1. You find a good spot.
2. You need to build a lot of houses and suchs so the villagers can live there.
3. A random event occuring every weeks or so will make villagers come to your kingdom.
4. Once a player started building in an area you won't be able to build there anymore. (since you can't really build in other's kingdom.)(The kingdoms need be destroyed to allow you to build there again.)
5. Once you've hit a specific (or random) amount of villagers, you'll be able to make a kingdom.
6. Once you can make your kingdom, you'll need to put a command (for now.) "-name X"
7. Once you named your kingdom you'll be able to put it a description or something like, that we'll be able to see on a panel when entering your kingdom.
8. Your kingdom grows each half a month (in-game time ;) )
9. Your villagers will build houses randomly but if you tell them to not build to certain spots. (Like roads and suchs.)
10. Roads will increase the speed you walk at.
11. If your main character dies, if your a king, your kingdom will elect a new king to replace yours. (but if there's no villagers...)
12. You'll be able to dispatch some guards groups to specific spots.
13. To be able to send guard you need specific buildings that you need to ask your villagers to build it for you.
14. You'll be able to choose the amount of villagers that builds the building.
15. There will be a limit of villagers you can have in your kingdom. (depending on how much the game can take :p. I'd make like a thousand or so... )

(That's mostly how your kingdom would start...)

For the forests, yea I'll make some spots of trees incase of random ones.

@directive255, for the tree's, yea that's a great idea to take ashenvale ones. I hadn't really worked on the tree placement yet, I only put some so it's playable.

For the second npc, I was testing and I forgot to remove it... (sorry for that. When I uploaded I saw the mistake and it was too late...)

Today I'll be working on it a bit.

Thanks for commenting and giving ideas. :)

Level 5
I've added a screenshot for the new tree template.
(I might need to modify the world editor doodads limit...)

I've also made a new signature! (May change soon. I'm working on a really custom one.)
attachment.php

For those who prefer seeing it here:
attachment.php

Level 5
@directive, yea I think I'll use jngp.

For the naga's it's already planned that they do that. ;)

I got few hours so I'll work on it in a sec. (I'm working on the kingdom creation. (So you guys can create your kingdoms ;) )

Tho, for the tree's does it looks better now?

Level 5
@hiphop4eva, thanks for the infos, I didn't saw Game of Thrones enough to know that...
I'll change the names tho ;)

For the doodads, I'll be adding some more nature doodads so it looks more realistic.

Edit1:
I've added some more fantasy names to the poll choices.

Edit2:
I'll be adding a new screenshot soon. (I've mostly done the naga area)
There will also be a new area in the bottom right of the map that is not in the current screenshots ;) (I'm not telling until I upload the screenshot.)

Level 5
@directive255, yea I think I could make it like that, originally I wanted to make the tree's like that (I don't talk of the first version of the placements ;) ), so I can put the sorcerer (for cataclysm's) in the forest. Which could make it more realistic than a bunch of tree's here and there.

Don't worry tho, I don't say your idea isn't worth. I'll probably make some zones like that. (Like the naga area.)

Tho, I'll still make the tree's less compact. (I want the map to be loved in anyway by everyone ;) Or most people...)

Thanks tho for telling me that.
The poll is still up for the western name.

I'll be choosing the name at the end of the week. (Which means, on the 24'th it should be chosen.)

If you guys need anything else on this map, just tell me. (Don't come with some, update more!... :p I'm trying as much as I can to keep the thread updated, I had some troubles with some friends of me "A server project..." that was preventing me from posting. I was still updating the map tho.)

Level 5
I've been working on the new civilization! ;) (I'm still not going to give any news of that race. Which was not sure to be added at the beginning ;) )

I'll be posting screenshots of the new map placements soon! (I mean doodads and suchs.)
*Not of the secret civilization I'm working on tho ;)*

Level 5
The western part name will now be "Strazura"! Thanks to Directive255 for the great name! :)

I'll be able to work on the map this week end, got 3 days free ;)

Level 5
New update!

I'm working on a new title screen, so it explain the whole project on a screenshot. (For the RPG story lovers too ;P )

The new civilization being added to the map is in the story! ;) (I let you read it)
I'm adding it right now to the thread. (WARNING: It's not completely done and yes, I did it all!)
attachment.php

Last edited:
Level 5
@AradMNK, thanks, I'll modify it so it is more readable ;) (I'll probably make it bigger. Should be easier like that.)

EDIT:
Ok, it should be better now. Just updated the screenshot ;)

Level 5
@arad mnk, yea sry for the double post...
I had forgot directive one. (I hadn't see it...) :p

Anyway, I'll try to not double post ;)

Thanks again tho ;P

Level 5
@arad mnk, I can't delete it, but I can edit it. I just didn't think about writting it in the same one ;)

I'll try to not double post... I'm not used to this forum so... Still sorry for that.

I'll modify the title screen font soon. I'm trying to find a good one that would be easy to see with the same effects ;)
(I got few ones, but I get some more to be sure ;P)

Level 4
Super cool , I loved FOTN .
Personally I don't see the need to protect the map as warcraft 3 mapping is on the down hill so there isn't much to gain or loose , but it's your work so you choose .

Level 5
Super cool , I loved FOTN .
Personally I don't see the need to protect the map as warcraft 3 mapping is on the down hill so there isn't much to gain or loose , but it's your work so you choose .

True, but as you said it's work that I put in. This work is not hard, but when someone do it all but get nothing to tell him thank you, he don't want to share it...

I mean that I did all the work, but if I share it unprotected, few players(or a lot), may take this map, change the author name and suchs, then say they did the whole map. (You know, stealers...)

I'm not going to protect it for now, but if I see someone steal all the work in it, then say he did that, I protect.

Sorry for those who wouldn't want it to be protected ever.
But someday I'm pretty sure I'll need to.

Level 8
True, but as you said it's work that I put in. This work is not hard, but when someone do it all but get nothing to tell him thank you, he don't want to share it...

I mean that I did all the work, but if I share it unprotected, few players(or a lot), may take this map, change the author name and suchs, then say they did the whole map. (You know, stealers...)

I'm not going to protect it for now, but if I see someone steal all the work in it, then say he did that, I protect.

Sorry for those who wouldn't want it to be protected ever.
But someday I'm pretty sure I'll need to.

When I was young I used to open maps such as Tree Tag, change its tileset, and say I made that map just because I changed its tileset. (My logic sucked) I didnt even bother to change the author name lol.

Level 5
Changing tilesets and suchs dosn't really make think it's so much of a steal, because the author name still appear as it was on the original ;)

But some people just take the whole map, change the texts where it says the authors name, then just say they did the whole map. (That situation *****...)

Tho, that's why I didn't protected the map yet. (Only a demo, because I was testing it :p, but it has no updates that worth unprotecting it right now. I got a much higher version that should be ready once I get a bit more time...)

As of the map.
I got a clan war this week-end on a game. (A game called CrossFire, for those who wonder ;P) My clan mates want me to participate in it... So I won't be able to update the map as I do everytime I can.

My Clan war is tonight, so I should be able after it. But I wanted to tell you that I still work on the map, but that I won't be able to for few hours tonight. ;)

Level 5
Little update!
I'll maybe stream the making of the map!

I'm currently making some tests to see if my internet allows me to stream.
If I can, I'll make a few hours long stream.
(Sorry for the mic, I can't open it right now, got few people at my home right now and they don't allow me to open it. Same for the cam... Still sorry for that.)

Also, I got two free days.
I'll be working on the map the two days.
(I'm leaving my friend's project. I was doing all the job... and didn't got anything from that.)

EDIT:
The stream is working without any frame lost! (I'll be streaming for the next hours!)
I'm just getting a music then I stream.

EDIT 2:
I'm going to eat in a sec, so I'll be streaming after I ate ;)
Should take about 30 minutes

Last edited:
Level 5
The stream is alive!
Welcome to everyone who want to watch me doing this map!
You can even give ideas and suchs in the stream!

Link:
TWITCH

Level 5
The stream is over for today, sorry.
I've been streaming for 1 hour, I need to go work, so see you soon ;)

Level 5
@hiphop4eva, I should be streaming again today ;)
Just need to figure out how to make my whole editor load in. I try not to put all my desktop ;P

(But I guess I'll need to.)

I'll send a reply on the thread if I stream today.

Status
Not open for further replies.