• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icecrown Citadel - Lich King V3.2

Odd17

Icecrown Citadel - Lich King
Created by Odd17 & Aniria

Map Info:

The Lich King is the final boss encounter in the Icecrown Citadel. If you defeated him on World of Warcraft then you know how to play this map as the fight is Blizzlike. You can play this map single player but your chances of wining are not that great.

Features:

- Blizzlike fight (tactics are the same as WoW Lich King boss fight)
- Heroes that have roles (tanks, healers, and damage dealers)
- Original sounds
- Decent ending

Screenshots and Videos:

Tna7pXX.png

vzdg5gq.png

KGIGhOw.png

Changes:
- Map more challenging and also more blizzlike (lich king's minions), since everyone plays single player with AI.
- AI healers will no longer try to heal heroes that are in Frostmourne chamber (really fixed now)

Changes:
- AI healers will no longer try to heal heroes that are in Frostmourne chamber
- Tweaked phase 3 timers

Changes:
- New Lich King Model
- Raging Spirits implemented
- Lich King spells more blizzlike
- Ability to have two or three healers. Player 10 (light blue) can either be Paladin (damage) or Priest (healer), if the player is computer controlled then a random human player will be able to choose.
- Replaced Consecration with Righteous Defense for Paladin (tank)
- Many other fixes/changes that I don't remember. Try this map again if you did before :)

This is the last update. I will annoy you guys with this map no more :D

Credits:
Credits goes to respective model owners and icons owners.
Special Thanks:
  • Aniria for the terrain

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Lich King Icecrown Citadel fight blizzlike
Contents

Icecrown Citadel - Lich King V3.2 (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet [19:44, Nov/30/2012] "Approved"
Level 1
I added ending cinematic (if you beat the map) but I don't think its worth it to update it here plus, I needed to remove the introduction inorder to make enough space. So if you want it download from http://www.epicwar.com/maps/234674/
v2.1CM has ending cinematic and I'm aware CPU sometimes dozes off suddenly for no reason it depends on your luck :p
you do know that every single update counts plus ending is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Level 1
All is good, but i want to have some choise. I want to play as a... hm-m... arms warrior. I want to see different parties. Can you make a taverns with heroes? It will be very nice.
And increase the difficulty of boss, till 20% it is too easy.

Last edited:
Level 5
Ill test it ;),if i could have killen him in wow i should be able to kill him in wc3 o.o?
i just understand,the platform where lk is,thats a wow model?
Isnt that versus the rules?

Thanks. Yes its same as in WoW, you should be able to kill him, there are no raging spirits during transaction phase.

All is good, but i want to have some choise. I want to play as a... hm-m... arms warrior. I want to see different parties. Can you make a taverns with heroes? It will be very nice.
And increase the difficulty of boss, till 20% it is too easy.

Its harder and better now than the previous version you played, even harder the more you play with players, because AI does good damage and plays according to the tactics (not perfect though), you can also remove some AI from the damage dealers.

Level 10
Yeah,its reallly but really good,though i noticed you didin't add tirion's speech before the fight,and also i didin't kill him -_- noob healers :D but i love it <3 its really good and + you get a C00kie
Time for my special review so:

Terrain-nothing much to say here since you used the frozen platform from wow,but what i do like its that its not buggy when units walk on it 5/5 here.
Triggers and spells-this is what i liked the mostly and im not just aiming for the spell casted spell's from the players,i really like how the Lich kings are done and how you did the notifying text when he casts the spells or kills player/comp.5/5 also.

Why dont you add tirion fordrig wow model icc armor since your already using their models?
I like how the speeches are timed,i really like that.
Btw could you answer me this question too,i mean people often speak as World of Warcaft models are not allowed,and as i see there's no modorator complaining about them,so are they allowed or not?
Oh and my final rating is 5/5 and a c00kie ;).
and dude if you could do the crimson hall raid,i would love that ;)

Level 5
Yeah,its reallly but really good,though i noticed you didin't add tirion's speech before the fight,and also i didin't kill him -_- noob healers :D but i love it <3 its really good and + you get a C00kie
Time for my special review so:

Terrain-nothing much to say here since you used the frozen platform from wow,but what i do like its that its not buggy when units walk on it 5/5 here.
Triggers and spells-this is what i liked the mostly and im not just aiming for the spell casted spell's from the players,i really like how the Lich kings are done and how you did the notifying text when he casts the spells or kills player/comp.5/5 also.

Why dont you add tirion fordrig wow model icc armor since your already using their models?
I like how the speeches are timed,i really like that.
Btw could you answer me this question too,i mean people often speak as World of Warcaft models are not allowed,and as i see there's no modorator complaining about them,so are they allowed or not?
Oh and my final rating is 5/5 and a c00kie ;).
and dude if you could do the crimson hall raid,i would love that ;)

Thanks for the review :goblin_good_job:
Yea I removed the long introduction sounds so I removed it completely to make enough space for the music I added (its maximum 8 MB map file size to be multiplayer map), I don't know about the model rules but a mod reviewed the map so I guess its ok.

Thanks for the cookies they are delicious ^.^

Level 1
Awesome map ! 5/5

But please can you put all the names in credits ? It's kind of empty :s cuz I really want to know who made this terrain :3

Last edited:
Level 3
Some quick suggestions:
1. Add Raging Spirits to give melee (and tanks) something to do during Remorseless Winter (if you can free up enough space, that is).
2. Mana for non-healers does not serve any purpose at the moment. See 4. for an example of how to fix this.
3. This plays into 2.: Some classes are GCD-capped (Mage, Warlock), others are not (Hunter, healers). The latter is better, as it allows for more flexibility, makes movement less taxing and does not feel as "spammy". Also the Mage seems to be dealing too much damage (~3300K (Mage) compared to ~2400K (Hunter, Warlock) if all are played by AI).

4. Example (Warlock rework): Choose an arbitrary number, let's call it n. Give Warlocks a MP regeneration of n MP/s, a MP pool of ~25n. So in your map n is ~1000 atm.
Abilities:
(a) Incinerate as an auto-attack (~10k damage; you could also make it an ability but it's more comfortable that way, imo)
(b) Immolate (DoT without cooldown, no mana cost, ~40k damage over ~15 seconds)
(c) Chaos Bolt (mana cost ~7n, ~60k damage)
(d) Ember Tap (mana cost ~3n, ~10k self-healing)
(e) Burning Rush (sprint ability, do what you want with it)

I roughly balanced this against a Mage's DPS.

Other than that, good job. You created a really fun map.

Last edited:
Level 2
LK's spells are.....almost similar to WOW and that makes me jealous plus it makes me wonder on how did you make the triggers for the spells cuz I really love SPELLS but something's off about it. HOW IN THE DID THEY ALLOW YOU TO USE WOW MODELS!!!? Not that I'm mad or angry about it and I also know that you have no idea so I admire you as one of the best map makers man CONGRATULATIONS. If I were to rank you, I would give an 9/5 but that can't possible so its 5/5

Level 2
Oh, I forgot can I have the triggers for some of your spells maybe the triggers for Defile, Remorseless Winter, Necrotic Plague, Infest and Pain and Suffering so that I could add it in my downloaded melee map, the Ice Crown Glacier BETA (if you dont know you can find it in the Maps > Melee selection area) cuz I want to have a reminder for my graduation which is few months for now, PLEEEEESE?

THANK YOU IF YOU ACCEPTED IT!!!

Level 3
OK. Wall of text incoming.

(1) Some quality-of-life improvements:
Give Val'kyr Grab a 100% chance to work. Also make Val'kyrs slightly stronger. The 50% chance is mostly pointless RNG-stuff.
The damage done shown at the end atm only counts boss damage. If you could include Val'kyrs and the Frostmourne Guardian it would be nice (as that is also useful damage).
Change the "race" of Ice Spheres and Val'kyrs to something non-undead to make them targetable by Chaos Bolt.
The target priority of the phase 1 adds seems to be higher than that of the boss, which makes Hunters and Paladins (try to) hit them with their auto-attacks. This slight annoyance can presumably be fixed by making all priorities equal.
What does Ice Barrier do? Is there even any damage that is reduced by armor (and that doesn't outright kill you, like the melee swings)?
(2) Protection Paladin: Most of his toolkit doesn't make much sense (I get that it's intended to resemble the original). It would probably be better if he had some defensive abilities. Example:
Holy Shield (armor bonus), Shield of Righteousness (damage), Lay on Hands (emergency selfhealing), Hand of Reckoning (taunt), Consecrate (AoE taunt).
(3) Give (some) players the ability to do controlled burst damage (like the Warlock, see my previous post). That makes it easier to balance the damage, as the players aren't all doing the same thing, except some do more than others.
(4) The Mage is a little bit OP. You can cast a Frostbolt while Ice Lance is still being cast which allows cramming Frostbolts into a full Ice Lance rotation. Using this (and tunneling the boss) I was able to reach 4598K damage in a single player (full AI) game. I'm not even good at doing damage, mind you.
Reduce the damage of Frostbolt and make Ice Lance be cast at-will as the only mana spender. This way the Mage and the Warlock are the ones to do controlled burst damage and thus the preferred players to kill Val'kyrs.

Level 5
Thank you all, if I will update the map I will use your suggestions :)

And sorry Whitedevil21, its not like I have triggers for certain spells, I didn't care for readability and that stuff when making them, the spells are integrated in other triggers that are not related to the spell, in other words, there will be a lot of triggers not related to the spell directly.

Level 3
I'm looking forward to your next update. If you want any help in (re)designing some heroes you can PM me. I can also do a little napkin math for you and give you rough starting points for balance.

Oh, and another small trick: you can remove most passive abilities by "baking" them in (e.g. Devotion Aura). Some triggers are also expendable, for instance: The extra damage of Incinerate while Immolate affects the target (Why? You still want to keep Immolate up anyway. Make Immolate a little bit stronger if you are unsure). Tricks like these might be able to free up just enough space for some extra stuff.

PS: At the moment, I'm not rating this map, as it is between 4/5 and 5/5 for me. If it gets improved, however, I'm going to rate it 5/5. The atmosphere is really impressive and it works (almost) flawlessly. Dare I say it, you're but small gameplay improvements away from a really great map.

Level 5
I'm looking forward to your next update. If you want any help in (re)designing some heroes you can PM me. I can also do a little napkin math for you and give you rough starting points for balance.

Oh, and another small trick: you can remove most passive abilities by "baking" them in (e.g. Devotion Aura). Some triggers are also expendable, for instance: The extra damage of Incinerate while Immolate affects the target (Why? You still want to keep Immolate up anyway. Make Immolate a little bit stronger if you are unsure). Tricks like these might be able to free up just enough space for some extra stuff.

PS: At the moment, I'm not rating this map, as it is between 4/5 and 5/5 for me. If it gets improved, however, I'm going to rate it 5/5. The atmosphere is really impressive and it works (almost) flawlessly. Dare I say it, you're but small gameplay improvements away from a really great map.

Well I did start modifying the map long ago, added priest and forgot what else I did. But I stopped and the map is pretty much done, I mean, its just a single fight if you win that's it, not to be played over and over again lol :goblin_cry: