• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
High quality has nothing to do that it is still redundant.

You also can write high qualitive code without the usage of other systems/scripts, therefor the entrants had more then a month time (like TRD allready stated).
Wrong, f.e. blizzard fucked up with spell events and eventvariables. To fix you could use such a library.

If you really make a spell that shouldn't use an opensource library you may have done something wrong or the code just isn't worth it.

If you can't allow DAMAGE DETECTION, there's something wrong.

So, let's say you have a spell like this:

Spell
Impenetrable Shield

The hero collects energies from the air, that will grant them a superior shield, which will prevent further harm.
So, this uses a damage detection system. If the only actions of yours are a timer and the healing, won't the Damage Detection system do most of the job for you?

But still, damage detection systems can be used in huge codings too. Maybe it depends on the nature of the spell? :p

Level 16
Table/Logarithm/ArmorUtils are fine, like TRD said. IDDS and AutoIndex also are okay to use. UnitStatus is something I can't classify.

@TRD the link to UnitStatus http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=108202

For all other systems I can say they are free to use ... I wait for TRD to reply on UnitStatus.
UnitStatus just seems to be a wrapper for dummy casting abilities like stun/silence etc.
Let's wait for TRD but I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't allow it....

Edit: BonusMod should be fine

Level 22
Okay, since IDDS and AutoIndex isn't bigger than knockback systems (which are allowed) and they're pretty simple I'll take that back :D

About the unit status thing, you can just make a simple stun library. I think I got one I made on my computer, not sure if I'm allowed to help the participants in such a manner though.

Level 22
We haven't changed the rules, only answered someone's questions.
The rules say you must ask if you can use a certain system if you're unsure and Kingz did, and we answered.

Level 11
I think i have no chances on this contest, but i'll give a shot. So this is my WIP

My hero is Frost Archer, and from the name you can figure that it is a archer-typed hero, with slowing spells. Here's the spells:

1) Volley; Shoots an arrow to each unit in targeted area.
2) Frost arrows; Slows target, dealing bonus damage.
3) Accuracy Aura; Increases damage of all nearby ranged units.
4)Crystal Arrow; Shoots an massive arrow that stuns and damages first target it runs it to.

I have 3 spells ready, so only ulti left now. I will give entry tomorrow!

Level 11
So here's few screen shots:

Attachments

• Screen 1.jpg
    Screen 1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen 2.jpg
    Screen 2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 77
Level 11
I just love it how I asked if I could use UnitStatus not once, not twice, 3 TIMES, and no judges ever said anything... so I decided to believe Kingz was right and it was allowed...

All right, I can remake the code without using it but... yeah... I'm pretty pissed off. ¬¬

Edit: Oh, and it may seem a bit off-topic (well, at least for this post) but... IT WORKS! FINALLY GOT MY PASSIVE TO WORK! :D

So yeah... ummm... not that pissed anymore.

Last edited:
Level 10
The Archangel Project (late submission)

I had some free time on my hands so I decided to make a hero. I doubt i'll be able to match the heros people have been working weeks on but here is my current WIP:

Concept
The idea behind the Archangel project is to combine an epic supportive hero with spectacular and beautiful spell effects. Although I have only used the GUI for this Hero, I think my spells turned out alright and i'll most likely submit them to the resource section even if I do not place in the contest.

Abilities

Divine Guidance - An aura of magic emanates from the Archangel, increasing the armor of nearby friendly units. Additionally, whenever a nearby friendly unit dies there is a chance that a guardian angel will revitalize the lifeforce within its corpse and bring it back to life. Revived units will have enhanced protection from the Archangel and become invulnerable for 5 seconds.

182112-albums3189-picture27228.bmp

Consecrate - The Archangel begins to channel holy energies into the earth, causing the ground around him to become consecrated. Units on consecrated ground will be healed or dealt damage depending on whether they are friends or enemies. While channeling, the Archangel cannot move, cast spells, or attack, but is also invulnerable to damage. Lasts 8 seconds.

182112-albums3189-picture27227.bmp

Righteous Storm - Unleashes an unprecedented amount of force in the form of an energy beam that devastates those unfortunate enough to be caught in its unrelenting wake.

182112-albums3189-picture27229.bmp

Credits
JetFangInferno: Divine Guidance Aura (Brilliance), Righteous Storm Effect (Shimmering Portal)

Expresso/Tranquil: Archangel Model (Angel/Tyrael)

Paraslayer: Archangel Icon (Angel/Tyrael Icon)

CRAZYRUSSIAN: Abilities Icon (Holy Book)

You can play as the Archangel in this map:
View attachment The Archangel Project.w3x

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :0

Last edited:
Level 37
@N1ghthawk

You don't remove this:
  • Set Consecrate_CastPos = (Position of Consecrate_Caster)
Leaks:
  • Set RighteousStorm_Pos = ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 75.00 towards (Angle from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to (Target point of...)
  • Set RighteousStorm_Angle = (Angle from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to (Target point of...))
Is your Consecration similar to the one in WoW?

The biggest problem is that the spells are not MUI.

Level 10
QUESTION FOR JUDGES/MODERATORS: Am I allowed to post my spells in the spell section in order to get feedback on their efficiency or to get reports on any leaks I may have missed?

Set Consecrate_CastPos = (Position of Consecrate_Caster)

I remove it in the next trigger after the periodical is done. Or did you mean I shouldn't remove it?

Leaks:

Set RighteousStorm_Pos = ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 75.00 towards (Angle from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to (Target point of...)

Set RighteousStorm_Angle = (Angle from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to (Target point of...))

Ah yes, quite right. Thanks for the extra set of eyes. I'll patch em' up right now.

Is your Consecration similar to the one in WoW?

No its a completely different spell, just has the same name.

The biggest problem is that the spells are not MUI.

Working on this. Righteous Storm is now MUI and I think I can make Divine Guidance MPI, I have no idea how i'm going to do consecrate though.

BTW ty for feedback and +rep

Level 16
QUESTION FOR JUDGES/MODERATORS: Am I allowed to post my spells in the spell section in order to get feedback on their efficiency or to get reports on any leaks I may have missed?

Actually I see no problem in uploading your spell, but you should be aware if this also is your submission and you edit the uploaded spell after the deadline, you will disqualified...

Level 25
Actually I see no problem in uploading your spell, but you should be aware if this also is your submission and you edit the uploaded spell after the deadline, you will disqualified...

Strange for me it looks like this:

Upload spell => Get comments => find out improvements in code => improve code => get better rating => have more chance to win => people help you therefore isn't that teamwork?

That is my point of view about it anyway.

Level 10
The Archangel Project (WIP)

My second WIP posting, I revamped the spells and solved a few leaks. The Righteous Storm and Divine Guidance abilities should now be MUI and the Consecrate ability should be MPI:

Concept
The idea behind the Archangel project is to combine an epic supportive hero with spectacular and beautiful spell effects. Although I have only used the GUI for this Hero, I think my spells turned out alright and i'll most likely submit them to the resource section even if I do not place in the contest.

Abilities

Divine Guidance - An aura of magic emanates from the Archangel, increasing the armor of nearby friendly units. Additionally, whenever a nearby friendly unit dies there is a chance that a guardian angel will revitalize the lifeforce within its corpse and bring it back to life. Revived units will have enhanced protection from the Archangel and become invulnerable for 5 seconds.

182112-albums3189-picture27228.bmp

Consecrate - The Archangel begins to channel holy energies into the earth, causing the ground around him to become consecrated. Units on consecrated ground will be healed or dealt damage depending on whether they are friends or enemies. While channeling, the Archangel cannot move, cast spells, or attack, but is also invulnerable to damage. Lasts 8 seconds.

182112-albums3189-picture27227.bmp

Righteous Storm - Unleashes an unprecedented amount of force in the form of an energy beam that devastates those unfortunate enough to be caught in its unrelenting wake.

182112-albums3189-picture27229.bmp

Credits
JetFangInferno: Divine Guidance Aura (Brilliance), Righteous Storm Effect (Shimmering Portal)

Expresso/Tranquil: Archangel Model (Angel/Tyrael)

Paraslayer: Archangel Icon (Angel/Tyrael Icon)

You can play as the Archangel in this map:
View attachment The Archangel Project.w3x

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :0

Thanks for answering my question mate, but I think i'll just stick with whatever feedback I might get on this thread from here on out.

Oh and ty Kingz for bringing it up in the first place. I'd rather it be questioned now than have my submission be disqualified later.

Level 16
Strange for me it looks like this:

Upload spell => Get comments => find out improvements in code => improve code => get better rating => have more chance to win => people help you therefore isn't that teamwork?

That is my point of view about it anyway.

you should see it differently ... people also post code here to get improvement tips, why shouldn't it be allowed to upload a spell to get help? But for a final decision we should wait for TRD to answer ;)

Level 10
N1ghthawk, I played your hero, but, after some casts, he would not respond to my orders, except for the cast of Concecrate. I guess it's a matter of Unit - Pause unit action you have there. Here is a replay to show you (it's towards the ending):
Guardian Angel.w3g

I just tested my map and spammed the consecrate spell and it happened. Definitely a problem with the pause-unit command. I'm working on a solution ATM, thanks for the help mate.

I had the same issue in my map, so, with the help of The_Rebor_Devil, I managed to used Stun instead (Stun the unit). The con is that the unit will lose the buff once it gets purged, but from having this glitch, this is a better solution. You can also check when Purge is used to your unit and if it is in the unit group (that is related to the spell), clear every values and dummies and lightnings.

Level 22
To answer the question whether you can upload the spell to the spells section or not:
I'm pretty sure the host said you couldn't, and when you post it in the spells section you get a lot of reviews and way more comments than you get here. Also, in the meantime your spell can get moderated (there are two of us :D), which is basically a thorough review of your spell. I guess you can do it as long as you don't make changes to your submission here based on your comments/reviews in the spells section though.
Besides, it's only two days left so you can delay the upload till then ^^

And Anachron, like xD.Schurke said, no.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS AND YOU DON'T GET ANSWERS YOU CAN ALWAYS PM/VM xD.Schurke OR me

Hope that clarifies some things :D

Level 10
Just create a dummy and order it to Human Mountain King - Strom Bolt your unit. Of course, you need to base the dummy ability on Mountain King's Storm Bolt and set Targets Allowed to Friend.

Oh no, I meant i'm having trouble fixing it WITHOUT using a stun.

After further testing i've actually discovered that delayed command reactions and total loss of control of the unit will occur regardless of if you even have any of the abilities. I have also discovered that it only happens after you have revived.

:0, the answer is out there :(

EDIT - fixed :)! some problem with the revive system, I'm not quite sure what it was exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.