• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #4 - Animalistic Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
One of reasons that Integer A sucks (sorry, thats truth):
- it's default war3 global integer variable and if used within loops and differend functions can cause bugs, or ruin given instance.
Why? Because if you do so, functions share the same global, changing it's value dynamicaly thus, given loops/whatever can end/mess instances that it is currently executing, or cause other wierd things that shouldn't have happened. It's esspecialy unsave if you want to make MUI spells - one index change - ruins whole spell.

One of reasons that Integer A sucks (sorry, thats truth):
- it's default war3 global integer variable and if used within loops and differend functions can cause bugs, or ruin given instance.
Why? Because if you do so, functions share the same global, changing it's value dynamicaly thus, given loops/whatever can end/mess instances that it is currently executing, or cause other wierd things that shouldn't have happened. It's esspecialy unsave if you want to make MUI spells - one index change - ruins whole spell

Thanks for that Spinnaker :)

what an argument!

Dude, everything that Spinnaker just posted is what you should already know..
I didn't need an argument when anything I was going to tell you is common knowledge..

The thing is, using a global as a loop index is bizzare..

Dude, everything that Spinnaker just posted is what you should already know..
I didn't need an argument when anything I was going to tell you is common knowledge..
you're wrong.
- first, im more of a modelfag so this isn't in my field of knowledge.
- second, you will judge, so it should be in your common knowledge that you should justify your judgements.
- and as a thinking individual, that I assume you are, you should know that the only way to justify something is with logical arguments.

The thing is, using a global as a loop index is bizzare..
something quite like this would've worked...
(you could still mention why does it come to be bizarre, saying that the global value might be changed in the process by other function in conflict and cause errors... as Spinnaker did)

Level 5
- and as a thinking individual, that I assume you are, you should know that the only way to justify something is with logical arguments.
Becareful with that word. Especially when using it in the way you are using it. There are three types of arguments. Having all three is the best argument. Just having one is a poor argument.

you're wrong.
- first, im more of a modelfag so this isn't in my field of knowledge.
- second, you will judge, so it should be in your common knowledge that you should justify your judgements.

Well, I wasn't trying to prove or justify anything :/

:ogre_hurrhurr:

InfinateAnswers, I will reply here, since I don't want to double post on the other thread.
a) Don't make a check every 0.03 seconds to see whether a unit has learned an ability. Use the event "Unit - A unit learns a skill", Conditions: Hero learned skill equal to X

b) You are using a trigger that removes the dummy once it casts the ability (Bloodlust), that's why it didn't work. Delete that trigger (Fury Dummy one) and use this expiration action in the Fury trigger:
  • Actions
    • Set Fury_Unit = (Killing unit)
    • Set Fury_Point = (Position of (Killing unit))
    • Unit - Create 1 Fury Dummy for (Owner of Fury_Unit) at Fury_Point facing Default building facing degrees
    • Set Fury_Dummy = (Last created unit)
    • Custom script: call IssueTargetOrder(udg_Fury_Dummy, "bloodlust", udg_Fury_Unit)
    • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to Fury_Dummy
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Fury_Point)
P.S.: Re-enable the VM, please. I am tired of this.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Used correctly Integer A causes no problems. Like my Motto Simplicity is my Specialty, i keep it simple, and when its simple integer A likes to follow the rules =)
Thats great that you are making 1 spell maps! Hope you know what I meant.

@HappyCockroach
Be Happy

@Magtheridon96
Be Maggy

And guys please don't argue more, it's pointless. I would said the same, looking on Happy's accont you could never tell that he doesn't know why Integer A isn't save, although it's always nice to explain that further especially if it's someone like Maggy who runs through vjass.

@Garfield1337 It can bug if you got few triggers that run on the same event.

@Magtheridon96
Be Maggy

:ogre_hurrhurr:

Even Nestharus calls me Maggy sometimes ^^

Sorry HC I should've explained why Integer A was bad before 'almost'-flaming you :/

Oh and Integer A can also when you use ExecuteFunc on a function that also uses Integer A :p

edit
Listen guys, you have 26 hours left, so here's some advice that might help you with the "Balance" field.
To make sure your hero is balanced, try using him in a melee map and see how easy/hard it is to win/lose :p
To do that, you'd have to edit an existing hero, but that shouldn't be much of a problem :p (Considering it's mostly CnP)

And one question:
Is anyone here using cJass?

Level 17
things like that get a bad rep, its like hash tables, they are useful but most people hate them. W/E ill change the integer A then.

Oh and thanks Pharaoh, im done with this hero and im not going to open Weditor for a few weeks.... its been giving me a headache so now just awaiting the judging and poll

Last edited:
Level 4
HELLZ YEAH! XD I have the COOLEST idea! Has nothing to do with transforming or werewolves or any animals you can think of XD COUNT ME IN!

Level 30
Update:
- Enabled Map visibility to reveal the map template
- Moved "Cenarius" in a specific position
- Added Triggers:
[-reset] for mana and skill cooldown
[-reset2] dropping a "Tome of Retraining" in front of the hero to reveal skill speculations and skill tooltip descriptions
- Fixed Grammar in "Gloom" Description
- Added Instructions in the Loading Screen

On the IntA matter, I actually had some problems before with successive integer A loops... the trigger bugged but when I changed one of the IntA into a custom one, the trigger worked... haha...

Oh, Maggy will judge, nice! and good luck to all... (I'm a bit frustrated that I wasn't able to join...)

Just a question, Am I qualified to be a judge? If yes, I would like to try judging this one... ^_^

the leaks are bad thing. I once created a trigger with periodic event with leaks that caused my computer to lag. But Casting unit function is there for a reason. in campaign blizzard uses this option too. i know it leaks, but that leak is only one handle which leaks. on the other hand creating globals would slow map load exactly like one handle would. The one handle like casting unit is just one number. even calculator would have no problem with that. So clearing all those "leaks" would not improve map quality. Also handles like casting unit are rewritten every time unit triggers an event so it is just a symptom of O.C.D. to clear all leaks. And for the Integer A it is very simple function which does not leak, desync or causes problems when used properly. I have never had problem with using constant integers and neither did anyone who has clear sense of triggering and programming. I have made all my spells with GUI and JASS and they are MUI and leakless(by any normal standards). I utilized handels Casting unit and Targeted unit of ability being cast. Those "leaks" could not possibly cause lags and leakless is all about avoiding lags. I saw that coding section said "Coding: Is the hero bug and lag free? How well was the coding executed ?" So I would ask judges to act according to rules and to remember that this is not a spell contest.

On the IntA matter, I actually had some problems before with successive integer A loops... the trigger bugged but when I changed one of the IntA into a custom one, the trigger worked... haha...

Tell please for the sake of this site why did you comment that ?
Your trigger was not working. Many other triggers do. that is not the reason to torture us participants for slightly POSSIBLE problems. I say if it does not cause lags(on anything that is worthy of being called computer) and if it works then 10 points.

P.S. sorry for double post.

Oh, Maggy will judge, nice! and good luck to all... (I'm a bit frustrated that I wasn't able to join...)

Just a question, Am I qualified to be a judge? If yes, I would like to try judging this one... ^_^

Confirmed.

Level 17
This is my final entry :

Garruk
Primeval Hunter

Abilities

Charge
Charge

The Primeval Hunter charges towards a target enemy unit, stunning it on impact and damaging it.

Level 1 - Stuns the unit for 2 seconds and deals 100 damage.
Level 2 - Stuns the unit for 4 seconds and deals 200 damage.
Level 3 - Stuns the unit for 6 seconds and deals 300 damage.

Causes a Heavy hit if the Primeval Hunter has rage counters.

Heavy Hit reduces a targets armor by 2 points for every rage counter, lasts for 6 seconds.
Cleave
A visious swipe that strikes all enemies infront of the Primeval Hunter.

Level 1 - Deals 100 damage.
Level 2 - Deals 200 damage.
Level 3 - Deals 300 damage.

Consumes all rage counters to apply an enrage power, causing the Primeval Hunters attacks to hit all nearby targets for the next 5 seconds.

Cleave attacks deals 20% of normal damage per rage counter consumed.
Heart of Rage
Each attack has a chance to aqumilate a rage counter. Rage counters are used to increase the effect of the heroes abilities.

Rage counters lasts for 10 seconds and stacks up to 5 counters.

Level 1 - 20% Chance.
Level 2 - 40% Chance.
Level 3 - 60% Chance.

Adds 10% increased damage and 1 armor for each rage counter.
Inner Beast
Unleashes the power of the beast. While in Beast form the Primeval Hunter always gains 5 rage counters when Heart of Rage procs and has a 2x critical multiplier.

Consumes all rage counters to increase the damage of nearby friendly units by 5 points, armor by 1 and live regeniration by 0.2 for each rage counter consumed.

Lasts 10 seconds.

Attachments

• Xiliger Entry.w3x
    152.5 KB · Views: 203
Level 17
Ket has a point with a 60% chance of getting a range counter after 10 attacks u will have 5. Using ur abillity thats 1hp Regen 25 dmg and 5 armour increase. Now sorry but surely if i just spammed peons then used his abil. I would have 100 peons hitting 32 dmg. o.o coup that with the speed item - scroll of speed. I would have an imba army of the workers

%Would be better :( as its relative

Otherwise looks good
Apart from the 300 dmg to al;l units infront o fhero. Should be nerfed to become more like the carrion swarm stats or shockwave max 250

Also a 6 second stun is stupid o.o

So, if your hero was just major object editor work you'd get a 10/10 for coding as it's done with as little code as possible (none) which makes it very clean (in fact nearly non-existent) and is certainly leak-free.

I mentioned it here ;)

This is a rule from an older Hero Contest:

Entries with zero coding will neither get disqualified nor receive 0/10 points. They will be judged for the detail of work within the Object Editor. However, don't expect any impressive score either.

Level 17
Well im at GMT+1 And it says 00:37
now im confused

My time zone

(GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Real GMT Is 11:38
GMT due to daylight saving times is 00:38

But due to everything being based of Real GMT it just says GMT+1
To stop confusion :O

As GMT doesnt change Just our clocks go forward and back during summer

Level 17
So pyrite is alot more relaxed than pharoh about time ?

btw nice sig--Procrastination ftw

Edit: 3mins left n counting o.o

Wonder if anyone is gonna post an entry at 11:59

Status
Not open for further replies.