• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #5 - Science Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
with love from Ukraine :D This is my hero !
Techno dwarf
pGic68es.jpg
[TD][/TD]
Gloin, Techno dwarf
[TD][/TD]

Agility:11 (+1.60 per lvl)
Strength:24 (+2.80 per lvl)
Intelligence:15 (+1.50 per lvl)
Attack Range:128
Affiliation:Alliance

8C07HWY2.jpg
Electric chargeAn electric bolt that deals damage any unit it encounters. The damage is reduced 10% with each affected unit.
uyZ0aEd2.jpg
Force fieldTechno-dwarf creates force field around himself. All covered allied units get less damage from range and magic attacks. And every 3 seconds it purges all positive buffs from enemies, pause them for 1 second and deals damage to summoned units.
niij2M74.jpg
OverloadDwarf's suit stores energy charges after 6/5/4 his attacks or after using "Electric charge" or "Mechanical dispersal", that dealing damage to every ground unit and slow them, on small area with his next attack.
XcyqpirW.jpg
Mechanical dispersalDwarf overheats his suit and chases enemy target, ignoring any obstacles on his way. When dwarf reaches his target, he uses energy from overheating, to gain ultra fast attack speed for next 5 hits. Buff dispel if hero change target.

The little dwarf chained in a very stable and reliable metal suit that makes him unbeatable in single combat. Can learn the ability "Electric charge", ''Force field'', ''Overload'' and ''Mechanical dispersal''.
nice the first submission. :D
i'm not familiar with the indexing but what i do not like though is the spamming of the third ability when i use stop attack. just uses jolts a lot of times but nyway. GL. ^_^

I don't think WIP isn't that important though. ny1 can fake a good WIP if they were to cheat of submitting. but hey i don't make rules so just follow them. XD

But since we're posting WIPS here are mine. :D
WC3ScrnShot_120611_024712_01.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_120611_024752_05.jpg

Level 22
Rules are rules. They are meant to be followed - not disobeyed.

Anyway Arti3DPlayer, you need to put more time on your work. Get a better indexing system as yours doesnt allow more than 12 instances. Also get a Damage detection system. There are 2 of them in the spells section, you might check them out.

nerovesper, that's a cool idea with the ultimate! The switch ability though should have a longer trail, a bit short now - more eyecandy!

Level 2
Rules are rules. They are meant to be followed - not disobeyed.

Anyway Arti3DPlayer, you need to put more time on your work. Get a better indexing system as yours doesnt allow more than 12 instances. Also get a Damage detection system. There are 2 of them in the spells section, you might check them out.

nerovesper, that's a cool idea with the ultimate! The switch ability though should have a longer trail, a bit short now - more eyecandy!

12 players 12 index system, why more? Or have I misunderstood something, just google does not translate everything is beautiful, all abilities are MUI and without bugs.You can use it unlimited times. Yes 3 ability does not look nice if during the attack to press stop. I do not know if I'll fix it. Because I so would like to get rid of the hero. He approved to the the contest?

Level 20
I have a "Theorical" weep, I just need to code most of it.

Name: Bioch
Type: Intelligence
History: A mad engineer scientist who goes over ethical barriers with human experimentation decides to transform himself into his most advanced robotic model, improving the most advanced features of "nature" with technology.

Skills:
1- Charge (Active) - It imbues the next hit with lightning power, releasing a chain lightning which bounces through enemy targets. It has a chance to electrify the target, paralizying it. (Throws a Cone of Fire that leaves a DOT buff on targets while in Tank Form)
2- Static Field (Active) - Creates a field of 2/4/6/8 mines wich deals damage, and ministun targets. They last 30 seconds and become invisible after 10 secs. Has 10 secs cooldown. (Merges all the mines into a big one while in Tank Form)
3- Threat Detector (Passive) - Bioch activates a radar wich detects when he has been targeted by some ability. It gives a speed boost for a small duration and leaves some small mines behind his trail.
4 Overpower (Ultimate): He rushes forward with high speed while transforming into a Battle tank with improved armor and HP, he stuns and bashes units in contact during the rush. Attacks become ranged and deals Splash Damage and modifies some skill effects. Lasts 20 seconds. 1 Min Cooldown.

Level 2
12 instances aren't MUI, 2^13 are (obviously 4k as well lol).MUI is meant that several units of the same player can use the spells over and over again. And applies to all players. Of course he's approved. But as said, improvements can be made.

lol You do not understand anything! ! ! You can test to take the 5 - 10 or 100 heroes and at the same time force them to use the spell, it will work fine.

Level 30
@nerovesper,
I would cry if there were two more abilities, and if I was forced to read them. Please, but please, write something... normal. You just spam information without any chances for lore.
Your tooltip:
Channels a very powerful force field around it. Normally, enemy units that are inside the force field will take damage and those who enter or exit the field will take damage to their mana then slowed, and silenced for a short period. But if Polarity Switch is turned on it burns their mana when inside the field instead and whenever they enter or exit they take damage and have their positive buffs removed then slowed for a short time.

Example of proper tooltip:
Subtracts the electricity charges upon the Millennium Force, resulting in creation of a Static Field around him. Enemies inside the Static Field will take continuous damage, and upon leaving or entering it, they will suffer mana loss, become slowed and silenced for a short duration.
If Polarity Switch is turned on, the field will burn mana instead of health, and leaving or entering the field will result in health loss, slow and destruction of any positive buffs.

Level 2
Ok, here is a short preview of my hero:

(Nameless) Combat engineer

Story: Will be added when i'm finished D:

Role: This hero is a supporter for mechanical units and is perfectly made to distrub the enemy troops completely and forcing him to destroy his own mechanical units. His counter is simple: He has a melle casting range, so keep him far away from your machines, or use no mechanical units.

Abilitys:

Take-Over (Active):
The engineer goes into the targeted mechanical unit, controling it while being able to enchance the targed while occupied.
Stage 1 - Grants control of the target, add the "deboard"-ability.
Stage 2 - Add aditional a health regeneration of 2 per second to the target.
Stage 3 - Enables "nanite field", when learned.
Range: 200
Duration: Infinitive or until "unboard" is cast or the target dies
Cooldown: 80 seconds
Targets mechanical non-hero ground units only

The main ability of this hero, making him flexible by taking over enemy units while protecting himself. Synergies with almost any other ability of him when used right. (Balancing will follow later)

Repair drones (Active):
Releases drones upon a target mechanical unit, healing it until the drones are destroyed, the spell is recasted on the same target or their lifespawn of 20 seconds ends. Each drone heals 2 health per second and possesses 75 health.
Stage 1 - Releases 4 drones.
Stage 2 - Releases 5 drones.
Stage 3 - Releases 6 drones.
Range: 700
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Targets mechanical units only

Regeneration spell for 160/200/240 health, a worthly support skill, which can be countered by destroying the drones.

Nanite field (Passive):
Spreads nanites all around the engineer, fortifiing the machines around him, increasing the maximal health.
Stage 1 - Increases health by 25.
Stage 2 - Increases health by 50.
Stage 3 - Increased health by 75.
Range: 500
Affects mechanical units only

A simple max-hp-aura. Synergies perfectly with the drones which are affected also. It is already completed and customizeable

Engine Bomb (Active) (Ultimate):
Changes the engine of a mechanical unit turning it into a bomb, increasing its movementspeed by 50%.
After 20 seconds, or when the unit is destroyed, the bomb explodes, killing the unit and dealing 300 damage in an area of 300.
Range: 100
Cooldown: 30 seconds

Turning an enemy or ally mechanical unit into a running bomb, will be nice :)
Edit: I will change this ability the way that the bomb will be dropped and is ticking further, but can be destroyed then without exploding.

attachment.php

By the way: Is this taken as a WIP or should i post a preview-map?

Edit:

Credits go to:

Modelcreator:
Kwaliti for the "T-51b Power Armor Unit (Non-TC)" model (Cobat Engineer)
M0rbid for the "Alien Drone" Model (Repair Drone)

Icons:
Kwaliti for the "Power Helmet" Icon (Combat Engineer)
Kola for the "Drone Armor" Icon (Repair drones)
Matarael for the "mine" Icon (Engine bomb)
InfinityNexus for the "AutoRepairBots" Icon (Nanite-field)
Crowolf for the "Power Grip2" Icon (Take-over)

nice one...
never think of it before...

Level 13
@nerovesper,
I would cry if there were two more abilities, and if I was forced to read them. Please, but please, write something... normal. You just spam information without any chances for lore.
Your tooltip:
Channels a very powerful force field around it. Normally, enemy units that are inside the force field will take damage and those who enter or exit the field will take damage to their mana then slowed, and silenced for a short period. But if Polarity Switch is turned on it burns their mana when inside the field instead and whenever they enter or exit they take damage and have their positive buffs removed then slowed for a short time.

Example of proper tooltip:
Subtracts the electricity charges upon the Millennium Force, resulting in creation of a Static Field around him. Enemies inside the Static Field will take continuous damage, and upon leaving or entering it, they will suffer mana loss, become slowed and silenced for a short duration.
If Polarity Switch is turned on, the field will burn mana instead of health, and leaving or entering the field will result in health loss, slow and destruction of any positive buffs.

LOL! sure... as I said it's a WIP. As you can see in that statement it's only purpose is to show what it does. no damage nor icon nor anything else are shown. Can't wait for the finished product ey? xD

...And if it still sucks in the finished product then blame me for I am not perfect in english. And don't force yourself to anything you don't like, you have a free will in most of cases my friend. ;)

What I learn in my english class is to set up my picnic blanket on the back of the room, borrow an mp3, use my bag as a pillow, and rest there while listening to music... why? because my dearest instructor is always busy checking something, i don't know why she doesn't run out of things to get busy with so we never learn nything from her... I learned english from cartoons... Not tom and jerry though, they never talk or very few words here and there. I wonder why that show is even for kids when what they always do is freaking kill each other?

Level 6
Now that i'm a judge everyone will perish!
Srly, if your spells aren't MUI don't even bother
I will also downgrade people who use AIDS since it's not eve a system here at the hive, same goes with all the other libraries written by J4L
I recommend you all to use the projectile systems available here, such as Berb's or mine (Missile), specially mine since it's extremely fast and the API is very friendly (PM me if you have any doubt or ask someone in the thread)
For sorting values you might want to use Nestharu's Binary Heap or my Merge Sort algorithm (depending on your needs)
This is very important to me: If the spell can't be cast by the same unit twice then it's not entirely MUI, this would happen if you use the unit's index as the spell instance. Sometimes this is the only way to do it, but try to avoid it whenever you can.
I don't care about lore or grammar, just code, hero synergy and concept.

Level 2
Now that i'm a judge everyone will perish!
Srly, if your spells aren't MUI don't even bother
I will also downgrade people who use AIDS since it's not eve a system here at the hive, same goes with all the other libraries written by J4L
I recommend you all to use the projectile systems available here, such as Berb's or mine (Missile), specially mine since it's extremely fast and the API is very friendly (PM me if you have any doubt or ask someone in the thread)
For sorting values you might want to use Nestharu's Binary Heap or my Merge Sort algorithm (depending on your needs)
This is very important to me: If the spell can't be cast by the same unit twice then it's not entirely MUI, this would happen if you use the unit's index as the spell instance. Sometimes this is the only way to do it, but try to avoid it whenever you can.
I don't care about lore or grammar, just code, hero synergy and concept.

why indexing system is bad, test my hero, and if you find bug tell me. I tested 8 heros and there is no any bugs

Level 29
Indexing system has his own limits, and if you compare it with hashtables or locals, it's bad.

indexing is not bad if used properly, in fact it's faster than hashtables...vJassers use structs (a form of indexing)...

the bad thing is 'his' indexing method, he casts 8 times that's why it's fine but cast it 13 or more in a looping trigger, it will surely bug...

indexing is not bad if used properly, in fact it's faster than hashtables...vJassers use structs (a form of indexing)...

the bad thing is 'his' indexing method, he casts 8 times that's why it's fine but cast it 13 or more in a looping trigger, it will surely bug...

Majority of house-maked indexing system aren't very good, but it sure that if you take the Bribe's one, it's not the same thing ^^

@Vladadamm
Bribe's indexing system is very good/easy to use but it is not good if you want to use(change) the custom value of units for other purposes...
You forgot about hanky's system, which is awesome as well, the downside of it is it's hard to implement...

Sorry Pharaoh_ for the offtopic :)...

I didn't know the Hanky's one. But the indexing system is good if it isn't bad coded.

Except this, if i don't find a very good idea in the next days, i won't participate to this contest.

@Vladadamm
Bribe's indexing system is very good/easy to use but it is not good if you want to use(change) the custom value of units for other purposes...
You forgot about hanky's system, which is awesome as well, the downside of it is it's hard to implement...

Sorry Pharaoh_ for the offtopic :)...

That's not off-topic, I'm glad you suggest stuff :))

Level 30
Dirac, I am keeping an eye on you. I don't know why, but something tells me that you're going to spam negative score if I don't use certain scripts, or make spells MUI/MPI, which is not a good thing at all.

You should give people freedom to do what they want. After all, this is an Idea Contest, meaning that you can score on originality. And originality is not achieved if you follow the one's said rules.

Dirac, I am keeping an eye on you. I don't know why, but something tells me that you're going to spam negative score if I don't use certain scripts, or make spells MUI/MPI, which is not a good thing at all.

You should give people freedom to do what they want. After all, this is an Idea Contest, meaning that you can score on originality. And originality is not achieved if you follow the one's said rules.

I'm putting faith in him, but trust me, if it looks too strict or intentional low scoring, I'll use another judge. I wouldn't want a single judge to make this contest less popular.

Level 6
@Apheraz
None taken either.
Its perfectly normal to have doubts on the performance of people you don't know haha.
When I say "don't even bother to submit if it's not MUI" is that you're not going to win over people who do, because coding is worth 10 points and you would get a 0 from me.
I don't care if it's GUI or JASS as long as you clear the leaks, and GUI leaks a lot.
So i'll rephrase that post with the actual rules now
  • Concept: I like hard heroes, the ones that took some thinking before you wanted to do them because their skills work in a unique way not related to any known hero and they require some strategy.
  • Coding: MUI, and try to avoid unit indexes (or unit handles) when possible, the spell must have as much MUI as possible. If you use a hashtable you better have a good excuse, even when they can be avoided using my LinkedListModule (if jasser)
  • Synergy: this part is actually quite simple, does the hero has synergy or not? Heroes with totally unrelated abilities will die here.
  • Balance: Here i'll evaluate the following: can the skills be modified for balancing? does the hero has any stupid skills (such as kill any unit/win the game)? is the mobility of the hero too high (the hero can blink anywhere anytime)?
  • Aesthetics: Not a fan of lore or roleplay so here i'll evaluate if the model matches the skills and if there's any bug/need for improvement regarding the hero's/spell's animations or effects.
GL;HF

Level 10
I am almost finished with my hero, only 2 spells are missing (Yeah, this sounds like quite much missing, but it isn't, my 2 systems were until now the biggest problems) (althought they were pretty small D:, it was more a question of the concept )

Implemented are repair drones and nanite field (i will add an aura to the second one later).

This isn't a real test map, just a building with 2 heros (to test the condtions of MUI and so on) and some units around. I will ahve a buch of work int he weekend to create a testmap and bring the last two spells to the end, b ut i will be finished to the 15th of decembre.

For my hero, i combined a global indexer with a hashtable, maybe not the best solution, but it works nicely without much lags and so on.

Edit: Before i forget, both skills are of course MUI, Repair drone would even stack with itself if i you would remove the action that the currently drones are killed when the spell is recasted (this is for balancing purposes)

Attachments

• contest Battle Engineer.w3x
    383.3 KB · Views: 33
Level 22
Meh, because I suck at names I'm just calling my ultimate "Cataclysm", and I'm going by this definition: "Cataclysm: a large-scale and violent event in the natural world."

Level 4
Wip

Kes'tar

XVII-7" " granadeStealth SuitEnergy explosion
Kes'tar use a special sniperrifle with prototype bullets. The bullets deal less damage to near targets.Kes'tar uses his grenadelauncher to shoot a granade.

The triggers are almost complete, just the tooltips are missing :D

Last edited:
Level 22
Trolol, due to the way I've worked with my hero, it's hard to post images, as the only thing you'd see is the hero itself without effects xD

Anyway, I ended up having to make my own model for one of the effects, as I couldn't find any suitable models here on the hive, or in wc3's MPQs. It uses in-game textures though :>

I guess you can have a picture of what it looks like:

meh%20force%20field.png

As you can see, the Jedi is a blademaster, and he has no name ._.
The effect looks a bit lame on the screenshot though, it's better in-game. Also, the terrain is the best one you've seen thus far, yes? :D

Level 2
sorry for offtop, but I will give 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon if I win?) It would be better sent a couple of bucks: (

Level 13
@The_Reborn_Devil
That's a cool looking effect. I too wanted to bend that wall somehow, but i don't knw how. xD

About the submission though, does submission close on dec.15 or can still pass submission on exactly 15? I'm not sure if I can get my spell done in time because I just ran away from home. I forgot to put my file in my USB but i did have a back up of it there but only the polarity and few code on my ulti. can we have an extension? xD

Level 22
Terrain is really not so important in this contest, but the Heroe's look, blademaster doesnt fit to be a jedi, lol!...
The part about the terrain was irony, and I know the blademaster doens't fit as a jedi, that's why I added the "._." after that sentence ^^

@The_Reborn_Devil
That's a cool looking effect. I too wanted to bend that wall somehow, but i don't knw how. xD
I just remade it from scratch and used the textures that the wall uses :>
I did have to take a look at the liquid fire model though for some information. For some reason the wall looks a bit less circular in the screenshot than it does in-game though :D

Level 22
Nerovesper had a nice point there so we better clear things out. As with all contests, the last day to submit your FINAL work (wip should be posted before your final can be same date). The deadline is at 23:59 GMT - let me clearify this a bit:

What is GMT? said:
GMT is an absolute time reference & doesn't change with the seasons. GMT is +0h.

Level 22
Okey, finally got a name for my hero. It's not super epic haxx awesome, but it will suffice. His name is Darth Baleous. His name basically means "Harmful/Destructive Force/Physical or mental torment/Menacing" and is obviously derived from Baleful or just Bale.

I've also gotten icons for my spells, and I've settled with a model for my hero, which isn't exactly as hoped, but it's the best I could find.

Here is a screenshot portraying the hero and his abilities:

meh%20hero.png

Btw, the green life steal-ish icon changes when clicked (i.e, when you toggle the mode). This is what it looks like when toggled:
herp%20icon.png

(Yeah, I know it's stretched, I just couldn't be arsed to convert the .blp into .png, so I just took a screenshot and then cropped it. It was probably more work, but meh).

Edit: Oh, and full credits list (Ignore the shit, it's just vB being incredibl...om/forums/icons-541/btnredlightsaber4-156322/
// Used by : Throw Lightsaber

// Resource: BTNJump
// By : NFWar
// Link : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnjump-152805/
// Used by : Force Jump

// Resource: BTNBloodlust
// By : KelThuzad
// Link : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnbloodlust-116106/
// Used by : Force Rage

// Resource: BTNLifeDrain
// By : L_Lawliet
// Link : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnlifedrain-166653/
// Used by : Force Preservation

// Resource: BTNSonicBlast
// By : KelThuzad
// Link : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnsonicblast-117427/
// Used by : Force Cataclysm

// Resource: BTNDarthRevan
// By : olofmoleman
// Link : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btndarthrevan-56875/
// Used by : Darth Baleous

//Models:

// Resource: Revan
// By : Nasrudin
// Link : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/undeadguy-50598/
// Used by : Darth Baleous[/code]

This list can also be found in my entry (when I publish it :>)

Status
Not open for further replies.