• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Mini-Contests ~ How would I be: My Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59734.png

None yet

Why?

Judging by: Kwaliti

Introduction
First of all, I'd like to congratulate everybody who participated, you all did a very good job at depicting your own helmet, whether it represents you, or only fits your specifications. I reviewed all entres which reached a decent level of completion. Due to the very nature of this contest your technique was ignored. In order to balance everything out, utility/realism and execution bore the most points. The theme is quite simple, you can barely go wrong, so it's not really affecting the overall score. The reviews are pretty straightforward and dull, mainly because of the "my" factor of the contest which would have been compromised by my artistical suggestions. Establishing a proper criteria for the contest was pretty difficult, as everybody is basically a winner here, so I treaded these waters carefully, as it was easy to go off the actual criteria.

The score card looks like this:

Utility/Realism: 35 points
Execution: 35 points
Creativity: 20 points
Theme: 10 points

Total: 100 points

18 entries were considered valid. The reviews are listed in order of appearance in the thread:

--------------------------------------------------

Allain55X

Utility/Realism: This helmet is going against the human anatomy. There is no way somebody would be able to put it on their head. Asymmetry everywhere. Not much else I can say here.
10/35
Execution: I guess that orange stuff represents fire and the gray stuff is metal. I guess the fire is of magical nature, not really able to injure you.
7/35
Creativity: A dragon's head helmet is not something you see every day, but it's still pretty common and there's nothing innovative here.
9/20
Theme: It's a helmet, alright.
10/10

Total: 36/100

grunt

Utility/Realism: The helmet is anatomically fine. The helmet provides basic enough protection against attackers, with horns being able to serve for headbutts.
30/35
Execution: Everything is well defined, though I'm not sure if that's a visor or the inside is orange.
30/35
Creativity: Horned helmets are commonplace in medieval games. I like how you picked these decals over the other ones. Other than that, everything is pretty much common and already seen.
13/20
Theme: You followed the theme well.
10/10

Total: 83/100

I3lackDeath

Utility/Realism: There's something bugging me. Somehow the width of the helmet is inconsistent in the front and back views, almost as if it's egg shaped. A head wouldn't really fit snugly there. The smoke coming off from the visor is a bit irrational. Is the eye area on fire or something? Wouldn't that blind the wearer?
25/35
Execution: Okay, the two views are a bit inconsistent, most notably in the color of the material used for the base, and at the top of the helmet. I'm also missing a side view to complete the image of the helmet. It would clear up plenty of visualization problems. Other than that it's fine.
27/35
Creativity: You really went at it by improving the heraldic type king's helm. I can't really recall that type of helmet being used anywhere. The horns are a great improvement! The engravings on the neck part really complete the idea.
20/20
Theme: Pretty obvious.
10/10

Total: 82/100

eubz

Utility/Realism: A solid looking helm, as well as intimidating. Too bad there's no back view.
30/35
Execution: Okay, this is where it goes a bit off. It took me a while to figure out that the helmet actually isn't organic, but metal. That ambiguity is something that should be avoided at all costs. I have no idea what that red stuff is nor what's it supposed to do.
17/35
Creativity: This is an interesting approach to a helmet, with separate face plates and claws holding them in place.
16/20
Theme: You can't go wrong here.
10/10

Total: 73/100

Static

Utility/Realism: The helmet offers suitable protection. I presume that's a light source on the top of the helmet? The eagle head would not be good for camouflage, but it acts as a great decoration.
32/35
Execution: I like those curves. Too bad you haven't finished the eagle head. The mouthpiece could've used a bit more work. It seems a bit more protruding on the left than on the right.
23/35
Creativity: An eagle head on a sci-fi helmet isn't something you can see every day. Seems as though you're blending in elements of sci-fi and medieval fantasy. I definitely like the combo! That type of mouthpiece is too familiar to me though.
19/20
Theme: It's a helmet, alright.
10/10

Total: 84/100

Pinachet

Utility/Realism: You're a bit off on the skull anatomy. The maxilla (upper jaw) seems to house only a few teeth and I can't see where the mandible (lower jaw) of the Giant would've been attached. I'll take it it's reforged to fill some of the holes.
25/35
Execution: That back leather part doesn't fit the skull that much and the skull itself is a bit plain. An item of this value would surely have some decorations and markings as well.
23/35
Creativity: This is as basic as it can get for a skull helmet. It's not that appealing for it's actual lore worth.
9/20
Theme: It covers your entire head, therefore, it's a helmet.
10/10

Total: 67/100

Ghost765

Utility/Realism: This state-of-the-art helmet is armed with all kinds of equipment here. You've basically taken care of everything here. There's no reason not to give you max points here.
35/35
Execution: Everything important is clear and visible on this concept. Even this simple shading does wonders to depicting the actual shape of the helmet and its details.
35/35
Creativity: I might be wrong, but there is something pretty familiar to this helmet. I have a feeling I've seen a helmet similar to this one before, exactly the same color scheme.
13/20
Theme: It's a futuristic helmet.
10/10

Total: 93/100

Nudl9

Utility/Realism: The helmet itself seems pretty bulky with that tailpiece. You probably wouldn't really like to stand next to anybody while wearing it to avoid some casualties.
30/35
Execution: Read Ghost765
35/35
Creativity: I was smiling like an idiot for an hour when I saw what you actually came up with when you linked that cap as a reference. You changed basically everything and adapted the hat concept for your own needs and style, effectively turning it into a helmet but still retaining the very idea of the hat. Hands down the most awesome thing i've seen lately!
20/20
Theme: Pretty much an upgraded riot helmet.
10/10

Total: 95/100

Sin'dorei300

Utility/Realism: I'm gonna go right ahead and say this is more of a ceremonial helm rather than a combat helm. Those slits seem like weak spots. The eye openings seem a bit too large.
18/35
Execution: The way this was done makes the helmet seem more like a mask rather than a helmet, which is not following the contest theme. The shading makes everything seem like it's made out of tin foil, and the back plate is shaped like it's freely hanging and has clothy properties.
15/35
Creativity: You really didn't go anywhere interesting with this though. Just some larger elements at work, not many smaller details.
10/20
Theme: Again, this is a pretty vague concept, considering the way it was executed. Some may interpret it as a mask and some may interpret it as a helmet, but personally, it draws too much to a mask.
5/10

Total: 48/100

JollyD

Utility/Realism: This is as basic as it can go, along with horns or blades here, whichever it is.
30/35
Execution: The way those "horns" are shaded really make me think whether those are horns or blades. Less ambiguity.
22/35
Creativity: This makes me think of those typical crusader helmets. You haven't done much to improve on that idea. Just some basic additions.
10/20
Theme: I'm starting to feel quite silly writing these comments.
10/10

Total: 72/100

Hemske

Utility/Realism: A pretty basic eastern helmet. Nothing much to note here.
30/35
Execution: Too bad there is no view at the back plate. Other than that everything is clearly presented. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what that yellow thing behind the mask is.
25/35
Creativity: Seems to me like a common anime creation, especially the mask. You could've been a bit more interesting.
13/20
Theme: To be quite honest, I don't know how to rate this. You obviously combined a mask and a helmet. However, you only integrated the mask into the idea of a helmet, preserving the helmet construction.
7/10

Total: 75/100

Bernkastel

Utility/Realism: Standard helmet functionality. The only problem is the width of the back plates, seems like there's a bit of leeway.
28/35
Execution: Everything is crystal clear. I can't really put my finger on anything out of place.
35/35
Creativity: You really put much effort into detailing this helmet. I like the color scheme a lot!
20/20
Theme: The same goes for you, like Hemske.
7/10

Total: 90/100

KaplanHorus

Utility/Realism: Pretty basic here, fits a head snugly.
30/35
Execution: The way you painted and shaded it gives out a pretty wonky structure. You should've stuck with some basic shading instead of this.
21/35
Creativity: It seems you could've gone up a notch with this helmet, but it ended up looking a bit empty. The way you sliced the helmet into plates is definitely a bonus though. Kinda breaks the monotony.
15/20
Theme: It's a skullcap type helmet.
10/10

Total: 76/100

HappyCockroach

Utility/Realism: You pretty much described every part of it, and every part has its function, but the thing itself seems pretty inconvenient.
28/35
Execution: Now, this is what I call an in-detail concept. The side view makes every element visible.
35/35
Creativity: Wearing a potted plant is awesome, considering all the stuff you thought of and all the functional elements...
20/20
Theme: ...but it can't be really considered a helmet, it's more like a hat.
2/10

Total: 85/100

-Berz-

Utility/Realism: Pretty basic here, seems pretty sturdy and protective. Nothing extraordinary to note.
30/35
Execution: Everything important is visible on the concept, nothing is unclear.
35/35
Creativity: A really basic helmet. Aside from the red stripe some more additions wouldn't have hurt.
12/20
Theme: Fits.
10/10

Total: 87/100

The Panda

Utility/Realism: The eye holes seem a bit too apart and too open, and it seems that it wouldn't house a head really well.
16/35
Execution: The horns have a somehow vague orientation. The shading isn't really helping the concept.
22/35
Creativity: Despite the execution, this helmet has an idea going on.
17/20
Theme: Yep.
10/10

Total: 65/100

Kala

Utility/Realism: This helm seems a bit bulky on the top with the crystal. It would be somewhat hard to maneuver it around, especially when running and in combat.
26/35
Execution: Too bad you haven't actually finished it, but you've done enough to give an overall impression of your helmet. Everything is there, visible. I'm not really sure which way those horns are facing, considering the lack of shading.
29/35
Creativity: This helmet is rad, I like how you incorporated nature elements into it. I like all those tiny details. Small things make a big difference!
20/20
Theme: It's not a mask, it's not a tiara, it's a helmet alright.
10/10

Total: 85/100

NFWar

Utility/Realism: It's been designed for a perfect fit, I see. Pretty much goes along with that personal helmet thing. Not much is visible on the outside about its utility though, other than protection.
32/35
Execution: Unless you already are, I suggest you to get into comics and stuff. I like your style! Everything is crisp and clear. The front view is the only thing lacking here, to get some actual 3D going on here.
34/35
Creativity: This really reminds me of Iron Man. War Machine, to be precise, because of the color scheme (or lack of one, more of). You should've colorized it a bit though, added a decal or something.
13/20
Theme: Yeah.
10/10

Total: 89/100

1. Nudl9 - 95
  2. Ghost765 - 93
  3. Bernkastel - 90
  4. NFWar - 89
  5. -Berz- - 87
  6. HappyCockroach & Kala - 85
  7. Static - 84
  8. grunt - 83
  9. I3lackDeath - 82
  10. KaplanHorus - 76
  11. Hemske - 75
  12. eubz - 73
  13. JollyD - 72
  14. Pinachet - 67
  15. The Panda - 65
  16. Sin'dorei300 - 48
  17. Allain55X - 36

m9q78h.jpg

The winner is Nudl9, who receives 25 reputation and a spot in the Victorious Sticky!

Congratulations and thank you EVERYONE for participating (along with the judge)! You will all receive your rewards right away.

Wow, so much to read.

Thank you very much, Kwaliti, for these broad reviews!

Congrats to Nudl9, your idea was great, and the perspective you chose pretty much makes front-/backviews obsolete, they wouldn't show much more than we can already see.

Additionally, congratulations and thanks to everyone who participated, this was a very interesting contest and tough competition!

Also, I took the liberty to link every completed entry that has been submitted and accepted by the judge:
Berz
The Panda
Kala
NFWar
Hemske
Bernkastel
KaplanHorus
HappyCockroach
Nudl9
JollyD
Sin'dorei300
Pinachet
Ghost765
Eubz
Static
grunt
Allain55X

If there's a mistake with those not being the final entries or if I missed someone, please notify me.

Status
Not open for further replies.