• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #4 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entries! (Multiple Choice)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
To quote the always so perfectly *cough* reliable *cough* source called Wikipedia:

Evolution
"In biology, evolution is change in the genetic material of a population of organisms through successive generations. Although the changes produced in a single generation are normally small, the accumulation of these differences over time can cause substantial changes in a population, a process that can result in the emergence of new species. Similarities among species suggest that all known species descended from a common ancestor (or ancestral gene pool) through this process of gradual divergence."

Conceptual art
"Conceptual art is art in which the concept(s) or idea(s) involved in the work take precedence over traditional aesthetic and material concerns."

I got some trouble giving my votes, because some submissions were made by people with some great drawing skills, but look like they are just growing or they lack something that makes them different. On the other side I see some interesting ideas worked out by people with less drawing skills.

I guess I'll skip voting for now...

Level 9
Evolution
"In biology, evolution is change in the genetic material of a population of organisms through successive generations. Although the changes produced in a single generation are normally small, the accumulation of these differences over time can cause substantial changes in a population, a process that can result in the emergence of new species. Similarities among species suggest that all known species descended from a common ancestor (or ancestral gene pool) through this process of gradual divergence."

general contest fail

Level 24
The difference between good and bad work is really obvious and nobody can doubt that a well-drawn peace based on general artistic and anatomy rules is better than a bad-drawn one.

Apart from that I can totally agree with you people that the concept is way more important than the actual drawing when we talk about a concept. But nonetheless I saw some drawings here which lack both drawing skill and an original concept.

So how do you explain that they still got a lot of votes?

Basically it does not matter since the good submissions fill the first few places but it still disturbs me a little.

Anyway, this thread should stay on topic so we should stop complaining about that... I just noticed it and stated my opinion. As a result I hide the last sentences for you.

I hope to see someone other than Dio win! Like Communist_Orc, that would be some surprise!

PS: Nothing against Dionesist.

Level 15
I agree some drawings aren't as good as others but someone still might like them is all im saying.

maybe model competition be make 1 of the concept arts? sorry it came to me :p
well since i cant vote again( i voted only for one :/ )
1. communist_orc: great concept has more originality than others. Also was executed masterfully.
2. Im not sure its too close for second. id say either dionnist or jareph.
3. I really like Spetnezz's drawing. not too sure what it is but it looks like a blob at first then evolves to something with a better shape. and third takes an even definite form.

Level 18
Large enough for you?

Evolution_of_Darkness_by_MasterStryke.jpg

Level 16
Wooo, I like pretty much all entries but I had to forget about some of them, in the end I had 5 tied entries (that I think are all just as good).

Jareph's combat bees are pretty awesome and I thought it was the one to fit the theme the most. Pyritie explained it like, it was 'evolution' as in evolution pokemon-style? I think that's totally what jareph did. At first I was sure his creature was from pokemon but later I realised it wasn't.. (it should haha).

Nightwish's entry is pretty badass. Color are so simple, yet it looks so cool, very detailed.

I voted for dio's entry for about the same reasons as nightwish's, they're both very detailed.

Then I voted for spetnezz, it didn't have the best concept nor was it best drawing, but I liked it alot. It's the style of drawings I like o.o

(This one, I should've vote for but I forgot to..) communist_orc's entry was kewl too. Concept is really good, probably one of the best one in here. It was detailed aswell, but borders/background took something away, I'm pretty sure it would've look more obvious/cool on a black/white background, with no border ofc.

Level 5
MasterStryke gets my vote. Although the 2nd and 3rd forms don't really look anatomically correct, they still look awesome.

Level 7
My vote :p

Awesome Concept Art Contest. There were soo many good concept art there it is was hard to choose from.

So here is my top 5 choices in order:

]
  1. Jarephs - Combat Bees
  2. UnholyDobry - evolution
  3. Zeveren - chickubbs
  4. communist_orc - crabs
  5. Just_Spectating - Automated Scouting Machine

There my top 5 in order from the best to the worst of my top 5.

Although just because you did not make it into my top 5 that does not mean your art was not good. I infact liked all of it, just some better than others.

May the best Concept Art win and I can not wait to see these Concept Art's be made and put into a warcraft map in the near future,
Lag_Reviews :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 35
Jareph's combat bees are pretty awesome and I thought it was the one to fit the theme the most. Pyritie explained it like, it was 'evolution' as in evolution Pokemon-style? I think that's totally what jareph did. At first I was sure his creature was from Pokemon but later I realized it wasn't.. (it should haha).

Agree - Same reason why I liked it so much.

Level 2
Just_Spectating's Automated scouting machine and Whitehawk's water elemental alligator.
I liked them best !

Great work, all of you guys ! :)

Level 2
my 3 choices would be Just Spectating, MasterStryke, and Xatoga

anatomy:
1)Xatoga. Robots can have anything built anywhere but you did this one in a more realistic sense where you started with the same pieces and made additions around those original parts.
2)Just Spectating. I liked how you didn't use the robot head as the parasitic alien's head. How are they supposed to know what its for? They work with what they've got and used the highest point to release the spores or whatever you said to infest other beings.
3)MasterStryke. There are several inconsistencies between the evolutions. stage1 had a large body build with a medium sized tail. stage2 had a thin body, wings, a fairly long tail, and 2 horns. stage3 drops the wings, loses a few toes, the tail shrinks, its body size increases again, and one of its horns turns into a beak.

creativity:
1)Just Spectating. Parasites infecting living this happens all the time, but if this thing can change a broken down machine into a beast then it leaves some speculation as to what it can do to something that is organic!
2)MasterStryke. Its good that you were able to avoid engulfing the entire thing in flames and instead you gave the Darkness (what appears to be) liquid fire that runs in its veins.
3)Xatoga. You can see that this robot was put together on-site seeing as it's leg pieces don't match up and the layering on the breast suggests repairs.

theme:
1)Just Spectating. All of the growth stages flow together well and looks visually accurate.
?)I can't decide how to rank which of the other two since they both seem to have evolutionary flaws in their purpose. With MasterStryke's Darkness the evolutions seems to go crawling>flying>quadruped. On the other hand, Xatoga's Robot advances from assembly line>on-site mechanic>armored combat unit.

all in all i would go with Just Spectating. Good luck man :D

Last edited:
Level 35
All in all i would go with Just Spectating. Good luck man :D

I like that you commented on them all.. But couldn't help wondering what it was that made you chose MasterStryke's (according to what you wrote) as you didn't mention anything directly positively about it, besides that you was happy he didn't go to wild with the flames..

So just curios.

Status
Not open for further replies.