• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #5 - Mystery & Adventure[DECEASED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I am not sure why people so desperately want to push forward a cinematic contest when clearly the community isn't up to the task.

There hasn't been a single original cinematic for as far as I can remember and, as a result, people lack both inspiration and motivation to work on them. Add to that the fact that the contest has been thrown during the period when most people have exams, well, you get the picture.

If you want a cinematic contest, at least wait for summer break or a longer holiday. Maybe then there will be a few entries instead of none.

Level 13
I am not sure why people so desperately want to push forward a cinematic contest when clearly the community isn't up to the task.

There hasn't been a single original cinematic for as far as I can remember and, as a result, people lack both inspiration and motivation to work on them. Add to that the fact that the contest has been thrown during the period when most people have exams, well, you get the picture.

If you want a cinematic contest, at least wait for summer break or a longer holiday. Maybe then there will be a few entries instead of none.

Well I tossed this contest up cause multiple people kept making threads about it and to get an idea on how many people would enter. Enough people wanted to participate (see the participation list) so it got published. It's just a shame people don't update that they can't make it or not even cancel their participation after they signed up.
I purposely didn't respond to see if people would post without constantly seeing a new post in the thread (but people didn't as I feared even post a title (which really makes you think).

Now the deadline has expired and I asked how many people were still doing something not even 50% of the people that "signed up" to join responded.

The point of doing this in the "school vacation" is irrelevant. People always have an excuse to drop out/not respond/sign up but make nothing during a contest, weather it is an exam you roughly know about 5-10 weeks before hand or a vacation that is planned way up front. it's not to point fingers at anyone. It's an attitude people always have had during contents (specially cinematic contests) regardless of which period of the year it is hosted (this even happened 4-7 years ago when Wc3 was still reasonable popular).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
People did bug me several times to start a cinematic contest, or bugged me for opposing one when I warned that it wouldn't work. Only I had a reason to say that ^^
My interpretation of your affirmations is that people want to see cinematic maps done more than they want to make them. Although, you seem to be into people's minds already, so why did you go to start one if you know they've always got an excuse?
Either way, if they've got excuses, better not give them more.

I don't see why the thread has got a pessimistic turn overall. My question still remains, who is up to it, except Vengancekael?

I'm still open for it; like I said, I worked on it, but I then realized that the theme didn't match.

Aeroblyctos has also made a question/request. I'd be glad if you gave him an insight, e.g. a few ideas of how you pictured it in the first place. After all, you proposed the theme ;)

Level 17
Aw, man, I was really looking forward to this contest... I would have loved to partecipate, but I'm no world-editor guy, and the only idea I had did not fit the theme. I couldn't have contributed as a lolmodeler/animator either, since pairing up wasn't allowed.

There is probably some truth in what Rui said, but honestly I don't think interest is what is lacking, it's more about inspiration and dedication.

I say get rid of the theme, I understand the reasoning behind having one, but it's only holding people off.

Level 37
Hmm, I always try to suggest themes as open as possible so that everyone can join.

However, I find the mystery theme a bit too hard to create... If theme would be a little more open I could actually do something.

I have a story man goes to a town and there will be a big fight. Is this under the theme or not? There's no mystery at all(well maybe just little). :<

Level 6
The deadline is now.........i suppose there are cinematics will be posted cause i really want to see some nice cinematic..
Can i have a request?...
For the contestants pls dont protect your map so i can view how your cinematic is made cause i really want to learn how to create professional cinematic. Dont worry i am not a map stealer!

Level 1
A mysterious atmosphere. Could be a place with colored clouds. And my little ponys. What always makes people think it has to be a castle or some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.