• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #5 - Mystery & Adventure[DECEASED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
the%20hive%20workshop.png

cinematic.png
contest.png
number.png
5.png

160036-albums4747-picture56524.png

Mystery & Adventure

Create a Cinematic that captivates the notion of a secret and is simultaneously shrouded within a mysterious atmosphere. The cinematic should also include adventurous moments.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

1. No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  2. If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  3. You must show at least one instance of progress, for example a screenshot or part of the cinematic map.
  4. Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  5. A Judge or any person involved in decision making is not allowed to participate.
  6. Teamwork is not allowed (testers and/or musicians are excluded from that rule)
  7. Your Cinematic has to be between 5 and 10 minutes in length (The entry length will not decide the winner)
  8. Custom material is allowed, but has to be credited.
  9. Your map must be posted before the end of the deadline.
  10. Your map has to be less than 30MB in size.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points

entries.png

Contestant
WIP Post/Picture(Title)Entry

Hemlock
Red Horizon

Vengeancekael

Wandering Soul

kayS

Pharaoh_

Bugz

Aeroblyctos

Restor

_PV
Progress pictureThe Solitary Reaper

judges.png

• King Klear

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Genre implementation
How well are the genres implemented into the cinematic? was there a mysterious edge to the cinematic? how exciting/adventurous was the cinematic?25 pt

Storyline
How interesting is the story? How are elements like character building, plot and predictability integrated into the story?20 pt

Terrain and Atmosphere
How well are the worlds designed? To what degree is atmosphere used to compliment the scene?15 pt

Camera placement and motion
How well are scenes captured? To what extent are different perspectives used correctly? How well is motion used and synced with the scene?15 pt

Precision and handling
How well is the cinematic controlled and how precise are elements in the cinematic timed? (animations, movement, transitions, transmissions, facings)15 pt

Music and sounds
How well does the music fit to the cinematic scenes? How well are sounds complementing the events?10 pt

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 24th of March 2012 and conclude on 30th of April 2012, GMT

Last edited:
Level 13
A mysterious atmosphere. Could be a place with colored clouds. And my little ponys. What always makes people think it has to be a castle or some sort.

I have not picked the picutre. However it is just there to give people an impression of what CAN be mysterious.
In any case, feel free to join an let your creativity surprise us!

@Aeroblyctos: I have added you to the list :)

@Lembidi: I am not sure what you are reffering to.

I am currently talking with some people to sign up as judges, if you have the experience (which would be preffered, feel free to drop a message)

Level 13
Think of it this way, you didn´t, I didn't either so maybe quite allot of people won't.

On another note about the contest...I have always wanted to make a cinematic about a specific story but I didn't write the story...perhaps we should discuss if you are allowed to inspire your story on a novel/story/movie that someone else has made, Cause it's not really "teamwork" :O.

Level 5
Hi everyone!

Warnicro (eh.. Hemlock) told me about this contest and while I've long since retired from Wc3 mapmaking (does anybody even remember me anymore?), I'd be delighted to act as a judge.

I've made quite a few cinematics in my time, so I know which effects are hard to pull off and what constitutes creative use of available resources, though in the case of cinematics the impression of story and visuals combined is what counts IMO.

So... I'm looking forward to your entries.
It's good to be back =)

Level 13
I doubt you need more than 30MB either, if you use only models, sounds, music wisely and where needed I'd think you'd be more than safe.

One Final note which I previously addressed but no one really answered. how do we feel about a cinematic that is inspired upon someone else's story? allowed or not allowed?

Level 13
Unless people want to have a different starting date, this contest can be moved into the arena. Officially it has started.
Is the amount of time you get for the entry enough for everyone? ( want to prevent extending this).

Concluding this post, I have updated the first post with a WIP and Entry piece next to the contests, this will be updated as we go.

Level 13
It must be completed before the 30th of April.
Offcourse you are allowed to sign up, I put you on the list of contestants.

Note to all other contestants, bear in mind we do need you guys to atleast send 1 screenshot of progress, and keep things updated (even if you are not going to make it...that way I can keep this thread updated).

Level 19
Okay, this post might very well be offtopic, but I felt it was the right place to answer and creating an all new thread for such a small matter would be waste in my opinion :b

If you are to make an animation trigger, and your goal is to play a grunt's "Stand 3" animation, what are you supposed to do? :)

Level 13
Are we allowed to use the ultimate terraining map for our cinematics? there are some excellent models and props which I saw there which would come in handy :)

You sure can, there is no rule that forbids you in using such an map, or the use of any alternative tools to enhance your cinematic.

@Amargaard: Additionally you can download wc3viewer and you can look up the grunt in the techtree. (grunt.mdx)
There is a list with animations below the unit that you can search through. Once you found your animation you start counting from the top (the first number being 0) down to your animation.

Thats the number that you need to use in the script piece that Pharaoh_ wrote in the post above me.

Level 20
Okay, this post might very well be offtopic, but I felt it was the right place to answer and creating an all new thread for such a small matter would be waste in my opinion :b

If you are to make an animation trigger, and your goal is to play a grunt's "Stand 3" animation, what are you supposed to do? :)
also you could use this to find animation numbers easier and faster;)

For the animation:
I like to open the model in Magos' Model Editor and rename the animations, like 'Stand 1' to 'Stand' , 'Stand 2' to 'Stand Channel' and 'Stand 3' to 'Stand Defend'.
This allows me to play specific animations with a single action. It is also useful for playing specific animation when you cast a spell, using only Object Editor.

_PV

_PV

Level 7
Ah so I've designed a nice Mini-map image for my cinematic and a title. Mysterious and adventurous enough? :p here is also a picture of a setting in my cinematic. ^_^

Attachments

• The solitary Reaper.JPG
    The solitary Reaper.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,373
  • Intro setting.JPG
    Intro setting.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 567
Level 13
Well the deadline is tomorrow, so I am not sure if that's wise. I am not done by far. However perhaps even more important. I wonder how many of the people that signed up, are still working on something (be honest). The reason for me asking is cause nearly no one has posted anything (I purposely haven't), so perhaps it's better that cancel that than to postpone.

_PV

_PV

Level 7
Oh thank god it hasn't ended yet! >_> My Pc was broken till this morning, had to format it and get it fixed :< <sigh, all the work ... lost...> I really hope we can continue this! :C

Status
Not open for further replies.