• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Welcome to The Hiveworkshop's

140841-albums879-picture9067.jpg

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #18

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is more of a fun code learning environment than a contest, due to its low requirements, its short time limit, and its small prize. Each spell must adhere to the theme listed below, and to win, it should be executed well and take the main judging points into consideration.

Task
This contest's theme is

Synergy

Two spells with individual effects which can be combined for another effect. An example would be the two spells of the Brewmaster: Breath Of Fire, Drunken Haze
Rules
1. All work should be done by the contestant and original to this contest, started after the contest started.
2. Each contestant is only allowed one submission.
3. The spell map should be unprotected so that code is readily accessible for marking.
4. Imported material, beyond a dummy model, is strictly forbidden.
5. Spells should support multiple levels, preferably an indefinite amount.
6. The testmap should provide an adequate testing environment for the spell.
7. Both Jass and GUI are allowed.
8. If you use any third party tools, state them, and if they're obscure, provide a link. Note that WE Unlimited is not allowed.
Third party tools include:
° WEWarlock
° Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
° WE Helper​
9. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
Examples of utilities:
° Local Handle Variables
° CSCache
° Armor Detection System
° Vector System​

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
° Particle System
° Caster System

If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will generally be punished simply by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and a penalty in the related category.

Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
° Have a negative reputation or
° Won the previous spells & systems contest.​
Judging

Judging will be as follows:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
2. Triggering (10 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal. Other important aspects include multiinstanceability and the like.
3. Overall Aspect (5 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
4. Visual effects (5 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize

A spell can earn a maximum of 28 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points wins.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems Hall of Fame" (the list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.
You have 20 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 15th March (Sunday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck and have fun!
~Hanky

I'm in.
I'll try not the last this time.

Uhm, can it be three or more spell for this? (not two)
I see no reason why not...

I really want to participate, but... ideas, ideas, ideas!!!
I was thinking of ice+smash=chance to instant kill, but that must have been done already...

i have an idea that will melt some faces
Is that a hint about what your spell will do?

hmm... I know it might sound ridiculous, but... I just found inspiration in Monty Python :p.

EDIT:
How should I make my spells' setup options, since they're supposed to be connected? Should I have the setup options globals blocks inside each individual spell trigger, or one separate trigger containing all of the options for both spells? Which way best conforms is basically what I'm asking.

Last edited:
Level 23
I would make a separate global block to each spell just like any other spell I am creating. At least one of them should contain data about the synergy though.

For instance, in Drunken Haze and Breath of Fire, it is the Breath of Fire ability that is causing drunken units to ignite, thus it would be the most logial for that one to have the ignition data.

Edit: A global block is probably fine as well, but I prefer the other method.

Level 37
I'm not sure how should i make it, with two spells or only one. Like first time cast is only slow or something second cast on same unit is damage, or to make separated spells, one is slow, second is damage, and if it have the buff from first spell it deals greather damage or something.

Sow how should i do with one or with two spells? :D

Edit:

*off-topic

Yay! the red dragon, has grew up :3

Level 16
I really want to join! =D,,
My very first contest! Yaye! ^^
I might have some ideas, but i need to think about it some more,,
Im so exited for my first contest! ^^

-Yixx,,-

P.S. I really look like a baby after this post, dont I?

Rmx

Rmx

Level 19
U didn't understrand me !
i'll give an example :

abilitie 1 abilitie 2

damages 20 stuns 1 sec but if the unit is under abilitie 1 SLOW
damages 30 ........................................................... Slow and damage more
damages 40 ............................................................. kill instantly

Should it be like that or just the upgrade of SLOW ???

Level 25
I am wondering would this example give a lower theme rating:
1: spell ice oriented
2: spell fire oriented

If you cast fire oriented after the ice oriented a good effect hapens, if you cast ice oriented after fire oriented the ice effect is halved.
So would this:
Fire + Ice
Bring less points than this:
Wind + Lightning

I am curious so i know what to expect for the theme rating :eek:
Also is there a spell type orientation, like will i get lower rating if the both spells have AOE or will i get the same rating as 1 target and 1 AOE spell?

Level 23
Damn, my 18hours sleep was only 12... Then i woke up by sweating ...

Raid, the gfx of your spells really looks great. It is very simple indeed, thus, you have to work on it. The spells doesn't look neither MPI or MUI so far, but I'm sure you are planning to fix that. Also, you never destroy targetpoint in any of your triggers. It's not much now but it could lead to consequences. Some other possible suggestions: The Silence ability works perfect as a dummy if you want a spell with Aoe range showing on the ground. The lightning would also look better if you limit the range of it alittle bit. Right now it spawns lightning outside the storm eye. It looks cooler inside :)

Overall, a lovely idea. Keep up the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.