• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Idealists Challenge #2 "Mythical Creatures"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Chaos
ogre_datass.gif

Seriously though, how about gods? maybe that's too vague?

Level 23
Chaos
ogre_datass.gif

Seriously though, how about gods? maybe that's too vague?

I dunno, we're already doing mythology so I think it's a bit repetitive. Maybe we could create ideas based on animals/insects? Like Crypt Lord = Bettles/Scarabs etc. I want a new theme but can't really think of anything specific.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Chaos could really be a cool theme. *.*

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Chaos is a interesting theme but it's too specific. The entries would be too much alike.

I was thinking of 'custom' gods, I didn't mean one would be forced to base it on an existing. You can create a god of flowers for all that I care.

Otherwise mecha heroes would be rather interesting. This would include both stuff like tanks and driod-like-stuff.

Level 7
Guys it's already january 3. Can we start talking about the next theme? xD

How about "Scientists/Alien Lab" ?
Example:
-Robots/Mecha,
-Experimental/Failed Experimental things (Example: Giant Ant, Frankenstain, Electricman)
-Alien/Scientist itself
-etc.

I have thinking one more think...

How about Plants vs Zombies?

Level 7
How about "History"??
or "Eastern"
or "desert"

@dhika are you sure plant vs. Zombies? There is'nt enough character there

Examples of Plants:
-Flowers
-Trees
-Seeds
-Fruits
-etc.
(I think everybody know this)

Examples of Zombie
-Classic Zombies
-Vampire Zombies
-Skeletal Zombies
-etc.

But yeah,
There is not enough char... That's why I'm not sure...

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Branches of Physics.

Too much Adventure Quest for the Werepyre. :p

Dafuq, too little updates.
Raza'rr - It updated
Furnace - no updated since submission
Zeineia - no update
Garuda - no update
Groot - no update
Mandalgor - little update.
Morikk - no update
Romagus - no update
Kar'kron - no update
Dreadwing - ofc new one

I'll be posting my predictions on who will win. Stay tuned. :p

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Examples of Plants:
-Flowers
-Trees
-Seeds
-Fruits
-etc.
(I think everybody know this)

Examples of Zombie
-Classic Zombies
-Vampire Zombies
-Skeletal Zombies
-etc.

But yeah,
There is not enough char... That's why I'm not sure...

Even if the hero type itself can be unique, the concept in terms of lore and abilities is highly limited. After all how unique can a plant-hero be before it gets ridiculous? (aka plants that summons tornados etc)

Zombies are just the same, no matter which type of zombie it is, their weakness and strength is the same. They are weaker in daylight and are hard to kill.

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Sci fi pls 1 agree = 1 prayer support me
Okay, I'll support you. After all, I already have a model choice for this :p
You'll not die btw.

Too bad I noticed this one too late.
No, no, and no. You still have 12 days, and it is not hard to think of an idea.

Zombies are just the same, no matter which type of zombie it is, their weakness and strength is the same. They are weaker in daylight and are hard to kill.
In movies, zombies die easily. :p

Level 10
Comment time again and as before, just on those entries which had changes or were added:

• Hawk Drive: Now it's even riskier to use this spell, not only can it be rather random which enemy you hit when there are multiple in range, but you also get stunned if they are only a bit out of range. Maybe you should add something like making heroes prefered targets over units or something like this.
  • Melting Blades: Change were made, ok this is clear now. Only thing that bothers me is the 1.5 sec time window you have for stacking, as you BAT on lvl 1 is 1.7 sec., but I'm not quite sure what it will be with starting agility taken into account.
  • Altar of Faith: This is a very interesting spell, also fits very well to the rest of the skill set and offers many ways of usage.
  • Blade Imprisonment: No major changes were made, but they were not needed anyway. Still you added good information on some of the spells interactions.

• Boiling Blood: Interesting spell, makes her a good carry or support, as a farmed carry hits even harder. But unless the damage dealt is also physical, it's a bit low IMO
  • Screeching Voice: On its own a good spell, but it needs a bit tweaking. The regeneration/heal stop is very interesting. For the armor reduction thing you should take a look at Nevermore's/Shadow Fiend's aura, so you can balance the spell better.
  • Seducing Charms: Ok, not much to say about this, again interesting on its own, but you should take a look at Tiny's 'Craggy Exterior' to balance it.

In general I have to admit that, taking into account that you've added the spells one by one, I have the feeling that you have not found a main theme on this hero. The first spell has life as additional cost, but no other ability somehow works with HP loss/ low HP. You have two spells that increase physical damage on enemies , one direct and one by reducing its armor, IMO you should decide for one way. Also in DOTA 2 scaling of spells was made more linear lateley (e.g. Chen's 'Holy Persuasion' was changed from 1/1/2/3 units to be controlled to 1/2/3/4).

Also you should check your writing, mainly in terms of tense.

First you should change the color of your headlines and spell names. The dark blue is very hard to read on the dark background (or is it just me???). Also you really should grammar check your texts (its mainly a tense thing). Also the lore is kinda repetitive when it comes to his 'studies'.

• Time Wave: Pretty basic 'wave' spell. You should tweak the numbers a bit as it feels a bit weak to me. Also it just places the 'Time Magic' buff on the targets, right? In this case the explanation is not needed IMO (it just made me reading the description again in the search for the interaction with the 'Time Magic' buff).
  • Fate Denial: Well this spell feels quite much like Dazzle's 'Shallow Grave' spell. Though it works differently it still has the same purpose. The 'Time Magic' bonus feels kind of odd, as the main ability effect triggers if the targets HP is low, while the 'Time Magic' bonus heals it and by this adds the possibility of 'Fate Denial' running out before hitting HP threshold.
  • Time Mastery: Ok I this spell actually would need a review for itself, I'm gonna try to cover every aspect of it:
    1. The general effect is somehow strange when you think of it. First of all your hero does not directly interact with his current mana pool, like OD does. This means the mana regeneration based on his Int is very weak in the early game, while very powerful in the endgame. This fact itself isn't bad, but once this hero has ~60+ Int will nearly cost no mana to cast his two normal spells, but with this amount of Int you should have enough mana sustain anyway, so this effect isn't needed. Also the lowest cooldown this hero has is 12 sec. thus he isn't really a spamming hero so this won't even trigger often.
    2. The 'Time Wave' bonus is in some cases very strong, not just that the damage is increased to 325 on the highest lvl (this actually isn't bad at all), but the chance to cast a second (full dmg) wave for free, makes this ability skyrocket to a massive 650 damage with a single (normal!!!) ability.
    3. The 'Fate Denial' bonus increases the triggered regeneration, this is ok.
    4. I will cover the bonus for the ultimate, under its own topic.
  • Wrath of Time: This spell is somehow strange. On the one hand it can be really strong (or at least reads like it would be), on the other hand it also can be really weak when the damage is shared between all enemies across the map. Maybe a AoE spell is something you should consider instead something global, as it makes it less 'random' how the outcome of the spell is.

• Aqua Telekinetic: Reads like a basic wave spell. I don't know how well you know dota but there is only one place with water, being the river in the middle. So the 'from any nearest water source' part might cause some problems.
  • Hatred: Again here, 'against the humanoid creatures' is not really a good specification for dota, as even if you stay with Scrouge and Sentinels (or Dire and Radiant in DOTA2), both teams have heroes that tend to be more 'humanoid' than others.
  • Hurricane: Well, same as with the other spells, this is in very early WIP state IMO.
  • Kraken's Vengeance: Made right this can be a pretty neat spell.

All in all I have to admit I like the basic idea of a 'kraken' themed hero. The problem I see here is that this is either in VERY EARLY WIP state, or you should really try to find some time and inform yourself about dota, the map the hero idea is ment for.

PS: Other comments will be added later.

Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I'm afraid I'm too busy to finish my entry.
Next time perhaps (no judging me this time, Chaosy >:p)

No prob. You didn't even give me a WIP so its not like I have to remove your name and WIP.

Anyways

5 DAYS LEFT PEOPLE...

If you don't give me your final versions until 15th of January, then all credit will be +5 rep points for participation and you won't even be considered for scoring. Just letting you all know...

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

At the very least it will be easy to judge with so few entries.
Its_something.jpg

Yeah.

[joke]
Like Chaosy said, you will make his job easier tenfold.
If you want Chaosy to descend into madness
(because of revenge and reasons) then quickly flood
all your final works so that Chaosy has to review 10+ entries.
[/joke]

Status
Not open for further replies.