• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zerg Hatchery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm trying to figure out how to build a Zerg Hatchery in WC3. I have a skin for it, but I want to figure out how to make it spawn larva (only 3 at a time) and how to make those larva turn into cocoons and the Zerg breeds.

Level 3
I was hoping to cook it up in "abilities" so that I could make all hatcheries work the same. Also, I need to figure out how to make drones "build" like wisps do so they become the hatchery.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I was hoping to cook it up in "abilities" so that I could make all hatcheries work the same
You will need triggers for this. If you don't understand the linked systems or they don't fit your need, you simply have a periodic timer checking how many larvae an indexed hatchery has, if it is not the max amount, create them. More complicated, you could keep track of every single larvae and if the larvae dies, activate a timer to respawn it.

Also, I need to figure out how to make drones "build" like wisps do so they become the hatchery.
In this case you can use the same method wisps use to become an Ancient.
If a wisp is ordered to build an ancient-tagged unit, then it will be killed/removed, as far as I know

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Without triggers, the only things that automatically summon are crypt lord beetles, skeletons, pocket factory robots, and Spirit of Vengeance.

If you base the drone on the wisp and the hatchery on an ancient, it will eliminate the drone to create the hatchery.

If you're trying to rebuild StarCraft, it's much wiser to just mod StarCraft II in the first place.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You spawn more overlords!

Joking aside you could do it to some extent without triggers using the graveyard ability to spawn invisible dummy corpses which you then resurrect into larva with carrion beetle. This may have problems with them being summoned units but requires no triggers.

A trigger solution would require treating each hatchery as an instance and periodically assigning them a larva every few seconds. When the larva is told to upgrade with a dummy ability you remove it from the appropriate hatchery instance and add it to an evolution system.

The evolution system removes the unit, created a dummy cocoon which upgrades into another dummy cocoon (for interface feedback) and after it is finished is replaced by the desired unit. Again this would probably be done by instancing. If the upgrade is cancelled at any time then you destroy the instance and work on refunding what you can.

Or you could just use StarCraft II where this is a default ability. The choice is yours I guess.

Level 7
I'm trying to figure out how to build a Zerg Hatchery in WC3. I have a skin for it, but I want to figure out how to make it spawn larva (only 3 at a time) and how to make those larva turn into cocoons and the Zerg breeds.

starcraft 2 modding is f2p you can download and play for free regardless anyways :p not trying to be offtopic but yea what everyone said triggers.

Level 3
I CAN'T use Starcraft II because I don't have it! It costs too much. The only reason I have Warcraft III is because A) it was a gift, and B) it has come down in price (which is why the gift giver could afford it).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
starcraft 2 modding is f2p you can download and play for free regardless anyways :p not trying to be offtopic but yea what everyone said triggers.
You need to own a licence for any one of the 3 SC2 games to use the editor. That said any licence will give you access to all content in it, including the up and coming LotV. It is also completely free to play the SC2 Arcade (custom maps).

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
That's good to know! I already have WoL and HotS, but with how lame the gameplay was during the campaign I'll just watch the story on YouTube when it's done. I don't want to support that game unless they do massive balance changes in it to get rid of retarded spider mines and that ridiculous Tier 1 protoss air (I forget the name... sentinel?).

Edit: the thing is called an Oracle. That little twat bucket!

Status
Not open for further replies.