• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ZBrush for WC3 Moddeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys, i just downloaded a program which converts between 522 different file types... But i couldn't find how to make 3DSmax or ZBRush working for WC3 models... so, please if it's possible to use Zbrush for Wc3 HEEEELP MEEE!!!
(I also tried animating ZBrush in 3DSmax, but than i couldn't find how to convert into *.mdx xD

First of all take a look at my thread http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f275/night-elf-103885/index2.html . I have explained how you can use your high poly model in wc .

How to make models in Zbrush for Wc3 ?

Starting From 3d application

1. Create base mesh in 3ds max (U need max which can export and import OBJ like max ver. 8) or any other 3d application .
2. Extract your base mesh as OBJ file format .
3. Import your extracted base mesh into Zbrush .
4. Sculpt with your base mesh .
5. When you are done with sculpting go to the lowest subdivision level and make Normal map .
6. Now when u have lowest subdivision level and normal map , export it into 3ds max
7. U cant use normal maps in WC but you can use ur normal map as texture map (look at my post for more info on this) All high details will look as they were painted .
8. Export ur base mesh as 3ds and import it into max 5 .
9. The 3ds format is a bit laggy so if u have any problems , select all vertices and weld them together .
10. Open ur normal map in photoshop and make it black and white . in channel info u will find three channels . Every channel has different lightning . Choose one channel and delete others . U can also correct lightning urself using dodge/burn brushes . I dunno is it possible to adjust lightning in Zbrush for normal maps but it is possible to do it in Xnormal . U can find more about Xnormal here : xNormal web page (it is free )

That's not the only way you can do it, you know. You can also bake a lightmap in 3ds Max from your high poly sculpt to your low poly base mesh to make a base texture, but I don't see why when you can just hand paint it...

There are tons of ways (Dirt map for example . It is probably fastest way since you get your results in real time ). My way shows how to make it if your high poly mesh is too big . For example My head model is about 2 000 000 polys and it is impossible for me to load it into max so thats why I use my way but of course I could do as you said but not in max but in Xnormal . U can make Lightmap in Xnormal with your high poly mesh even if it is 5 000 000 polys . But as you noticed it is stupid to make model in Zbrush and then use all detail only as a shadow map in wc3 . All detail will be almost invisible and it is easier to just paint it :)

I hope it will be bale to use normal maps in SC2 :) Then the fun part will begin :)

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Using Zbrush for wc3 is fail anyway, because it doesn't fit the game style at all. Even if everything in your map will be made with this method, first of all it'll take a VERY long time to make and secondly it'll still look like crap because the wc3 engine renders like shit.
So just wait for SC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.