• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9 ?

Your aspect ratio in the game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
It's no secret that the majority of monitors nowadays are widescreen.
However, Warcraft III was created when most of the monitors used CRT and 4:3 aspect ratio. So we can say his native resolutions are 4:3, all others will just stretch your view horizontally.

1920x1080 (16:9)
1728x1080 (16:10)
1440x1080 (4:3)
143071d1422620628-how-play-warcraft-iii-without-picture-stretching-fullscreen-4-3-widescreens-example_1920_1080.jpg
143072d1422620628-how-play-warcraft-iii-without-picture-stretching-fullscreen-4-3-widescreens-example_1728_1080.jpg
143073d1422620628-how-play-warcraft-iii-without-picture-stretching-fullscreen-4-3-widescreens-example_1440_1080.jpg
Just wondering what resolution you prefer. :)

P.S. If you want, I can share a way how to run Warcraft III with 4:3 aspect ratio on widescreen monitors without stretching.

Last edited:
It's kinda sad that such popular game like warcraft 3, doesn't have a widescreen support. That stretched smear is worse than 4:3, so I prefer to play it 4:3. It's true that since it's 3D pixel based widescreen is out of question (there was a tool to make it for starcraft 1), but if it's not possible Hor+, then could someone do at least do Ver- with some camera tools, as it was done with bfme2.

As for a way how to run Warcraft III with 4:3 aspect ratio on widescreen monitors without stretching I can share too, use windowed mode, using mouse trapper tools with sizer tool so you can specify exact resolution.

Level 7
As for a way how to run Warcraft III with 4:3 aspect ratio on widescreen monitors without stretching I can share too, use windowed mode, using mouse trapper tools with sizer tool so you can specify exact resolution.

No, I mean real fullscreen mode with black stripes at the sides.
Here is how it looks at my monitor (the photo quality is not the best but I think you will see how it works)

PhotoWarcraftIII_4_3.jpg

This requires a bit of work from the hardware side (monitor settings) and from the software side (available monitor resolutions in the system).

Level 7
Yeah I know, but why that if you can have desktop instead of black stripes :D
A matter of taste ;). I prefer 4:3 with fullscreen and black stripes because:
- black stripes do not distract from the game.
- cursor can not leave game window, so you can easily scroll view with mouse at the edges.
- fullscreen applications work faster.
- you just run the game and everything is already set, without additional programs and other.

That's how I play wc3.
Wow it's cool, 16:10 aspect ratio stretches everything weaker that 16:9.

- I prefer to see what is going on my computer, if someone calls me on skype or something
- cursor cannot leave game window if using mouse trapper
- fullscreen or windowed, in such old games doesn't really matter, and while game is loading you can do other stuff
- I don't mind using additional programs if they make the game experience better

Status
Not open for further replies.