• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW Risk Cataclysm, Huge Map 480X380

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
WoW RISK Cataclysm

attachment.php

WoW RISK Cataclysm will be a huge 480X380 map. It's epic scale and setting will allow players to wage war in the World of Warcraft that has been transformed by the Cataclysm. The cause of this Cataclysm, Deathwing, will make an appearance as a controllable hero in one of 28 races. Players will be able to test their risk skills in an all out war against other players in the newly reformed World of Warcraft.

*The map will be a traditional Warcraft 3 RISK map using the WoW RISK format provided by Priwin. There will be no NPCs besides the Naga who terrorize the seas.

This map is need of a team! If you'd like to join, here's what I need:

Terrainer
Due to the epic scale of this map I might need one or two people to work on the terrain. If you would like to help with the terraining of WoW Risk Cataclysm, and I'd be very grateful if you did, here is what kind of a terrainer this map needs.

Terrainer needs to be able to meet deadlines, within reason. I won't give anyone a deadline, but if you tell me you'll have something ready by a certain date then it needs to be ready at that date. This isn't set in stone, if you have some real life emergency or something then of course I'll understand but I'm sick and tired of getting blown off. Second, you would need to be able to complete the terrain without a ton of doodads and custom models, if anyone has played risk on wc3 they know why.

This last requirement is very important. I can't have a terrainer who gets stuck on custom models, tons of doodads and a complete sense of realism. This is a video game, the point is to be fun for the player! not create an unplayable work of art. Risk is kind of founded on the belief that the 'funfactor' comes from the gameplay and the terrain, but great gameplay mechanics is nothing without a great terrain that works for the map, not for itself. By this I just mean that the terrain should be created with gameplay in mind. It should be there to help the player have a better time. You can't have fun if the game lags every 30 seconds. Time is also an issue. The terrain doesn't need to be perfect just strategical. A terrain with rivers, mountains and some forests (which act as barriers and essentially pathing blockers for players to utlize) is what this map needs. The doodads should mostly be saved for capital cities, which I think should be epic and good looking but also stategical strongholds. So if you think you're up to the challenge and would like to join the team, just make a post here or send me a pm.

Below is two pictures of what I'd cool good examples of the terrain that should be in WoW RISK Cataclysm. The left one is something close to what the regions should look like (though maybe fewer trees and also this image is taken from Avrion's Azeroth Wars terrain) and the second is an example of a good capital stronghold though it doesn't need to be that complex (picture taken from Outland Risk).
View attachment 93054View attachment 93055

Someone to make and balance the races
This is no small task either as I'm planning on releasing the map with 20 races, and gradually increasing it to a maximum of 28 races.

Triggerer
Priwin added all the Risk triggers to Outland Risk and specialized them for that map, so I really have no knowledge of triggers still. We would likely just use Priwin's risk system, which he has readily made available here , but I'm open to suggestions if a skilled triggerer is really passionate about modifying the system or even creating a better one (I don't know if that's possible, I'm just saying). There would also be some other triggers that would need to be added which are not included in the Risk trigger map like the navy-gold-harvesting system that will be in the map, along with the renegade naga that roam the seas attacking ships and the water gold mines (or maybe it'll be oil refineries, haven't decided). This system is taken directly from the map Shogun Risk[/url] except that the Rhonin, who controls the hostile naval fleet, would be replaced with the naga and the system would work slightly different. There's likely to be other triggers needed that would be unique to this map. So again, if anyone is interested in this position please just make a post here or pm me or both!

I would also have to have the final say on everything in the map. This might turn people off, and I don't want it to be a dictatorship, but I think all my experience with WoW Risk and now Outland Risk has given me a good knowledge of what works and doesn't work for this kind of a map and my experience with Outland Risk has shown me that artistic values can get in the way of playability and time. I don't want this map to have a lot of doodads for example, it could easily make the map lag.

If you'd like to join the WoW RISK Cataclysm Crew just make a post here or send me a pm.

Thanks for reading and happy adventures! :goblin_boom:

*I'll update this thread with any changes so keep checking back!
93013d1290625507-outland-risk-cataclysm-map.png

Last edited:
Level 17
Hey buddy, this looks very nice so far!
I hope you keep up the great work!

Keep pumping that awesomeness man!
Can't wait for this to be released actually, never been much of a Risk fan but this is something that HAS to be played haha :)

And by the way, when you are posting images post them within
and
with the image inside, looks much cleaner.. like this (I just used your images as examples)

93054-wow-risk-cataclysm-huge-map-480x380-wc3scrnshot_112410_135605_01.jpg

93055-wow-risk-cataclysm-huge-map-480x380-wc3scrnshot_112410_140236_02.jpg

As I already said, keep up the great work!

Level 8
Thanks guys for the support :) I know this project will be awesome, that I can assure you!

@stevie: Thanks for the help. Are those 2 attachment images appearing the same size as it is in your post? Like where my two screenshots in hidden tags in your post, are the original images in MY post appearing that big? If so then I should put them in the image a hidden tag, but if its appearing as a small thumbnail image, like it is on my screen, then I think I'll leave it like that. I think its a nice little eye candy in between the wall of text :wink:

Thanks again! and welcome to my friends list stevie and interesting avatar you got there o_O

Edit: I'll be away all Thanksgiving weekend, so I'll try to make an update come Monday for Outland Risk and this map if I can get any work done before that. Peace and happy holidays all :goblin_yeah:

Last edited:
Level 17
No worries! Nah if you think about it, it's easier on you and anyone else coming to look on your page because they don't have to wait for an image to load up, or open it in a new tab/page. They can just click a button and go off!
And plus since you can see the image on the entire screen itself, it is much simpler. But your way is cool too!
And thanks buddy!
Happy thanksgiving, have a good one!

Level 8
Hey man, I see you've expanded from Outland to Azeroth, good luck ! If you get stuck on a region give me a call, if you check out my second war map you can see the screenshots and if you like them I can give terraining some regions a try.

Level 8
Thanks for support fellas :)

Also, if anyone would like 40 American dollars, and they're good at doing AI, I want to add an AI system to Cataclysm RISK. It doesn't have to be real complex, but enough to at least put up some kind of a fight.

If you're interested, PM me please.

Not sure if it's OK to offer money to people on the Hive for their work, so please tell me if it's against the rules or not.

Thank you.

PWH

PWH

Level 4
Hmm... I always liked the WoW Risk game, and this sounds geniue :p

I'm not much of a terrainer or a triggerer, but I play the game, and have done so for long time, so in case you need someone to check if the zone looks realistic, or if you need screenies of a zone etc. I could do that :D

Level 2
As PWH said, I say the same... And considering how much I helped with Outland Risk I can be of much assistance otherwise :grin::goblin_yeah:

Level 8
@Levdragon: I'd be more then willing to use the help of a good triggerer to do the AI, but I'm offering money because no one has come forth yet to offer such help :) and I really think AI in a risk map would just put it over the top, it's never been done in wc3 and AI in risk makes so much sense to me. However, the AI would actually be for regular races, not the Naga. They would be more like sea obstacles and would make raids on oil-platforms (which is what I think I'll use for water gold harvesting). Also considering adding a main Naga base in the Maelstrom which only boats could enter and which only boats could attack.

There would have to be some reward for destroying the Maelstrom, just not sure what it would be yet. Maybe the ability to train Naga or I was thinking if you destroyed the Maelstrom you would get control of Azshara who would have the stats of a regular hero and who's only ability would be submerge and have a long cooldown. She wouldn't be rezzable. Just an idea though =P.

@PHW: Thanks for offering your help, I'll be sure to use if you if I can.

@Navyseal: Hey Navy! Nice to see you've made your way over to the hive. Did you follow my sig from the clan site?
Also.. you might be of assistance if you could actually open World Editor! Or if your mom let you download JNPG, tell her it's for a good cause!
:goblin_yeah:

Also.. still offering that $40 for any skilled triggerer who would like to make a risk AI :)

Level 2
Ya as I am very nerdy I can help with anything related to the lore, races, etc... That is if you are still going to do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.