• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

World Editor Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Just so everyone knows, it is a FRIEND of mine who is encountering this problem. He was supposed to help me with testing and unit balances on my map I'm working on, but he says his World Editor doesn't work. Apparently, whenever he opens it, a 'Terms of Agreement' box comes up, and when he accepts and tries to continue, World Editor goes unresponsive and crashes. I could probably find a new partner for the map, but he wants to be part of it and I think he'd be pretty bummed out if he didn't get to do any of it. Anyone think they can help?

Level 11
That seems to be the most random solution I've ever heard of!

Anyway: If he has vista make sure he runs it as admin! Why do I think this might be an admin problem? Because when you agree to the license agreement it attempts to write that you did so into the registry. If it pops up every time its probably because it was unsuccessful writing to the registry. Make sure he runs the program with full admin privileges.

Level 2
That seems to be the most random solution I've ever heard of!

Want another one?

Tell your friend to go where World Edit is located. You could use Start -> All Programs -> Warcraft III -> World Edit. Right click it, and select properties.

He should see something like this,

"C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\World Editor.exe"

Change it to,

"C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\World Editor.exe" -opengl

And press apply. I'm not entirely sure if this will fix the problem, but none the less, it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps. =)

Last edited:
Level 11
Its probably the most random fix ever. Its used to run in a windowed mode. (Something along those lines) I doubt it has a .005% chance of helping you.

Please read my above post and try everything there. If none of that is successful please tell me your friends operating system.

Level 11
Try re-installing wc3. I don't know any other reason it could be crashing... hmm.

OK THE FOLLOWING IS A LAST DITCH EFFORT

Attached to this post is my registry entries extracted. I know these work. This will allow him to skip the dialog box.

Disclaimer: This is a registry entry please prepare a system restore point before using. If your registry becomes damaged your computer may not boot! There is almost no chance this will have any effect on anything but wc3. However if something does go wrong. Please don't pin the blame on me.

Attachments

• WorldEdit.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 48
Level 1
Ok, quick fyi, I am that friend. just registered an account here to get my word on it.

Now, I have to say: nothing worked, but I did narrow down the problem thanks to bomber's registry (thanks alot for it =D).

It freezes the same way as it did before when I open it. Right when the welcome popup dies down, it freezes and crashes. My guess is that the problem has to do with how the file is executed. it isn't the memory space, cause the computer it does work on (that now doesn't have a cd drive) is up to the brim in used data.

I'm going to need a way around this that ISNT one of the suggestions here... T_T

Last edited:
Level 11
Ok, by memory do you mean hard drive space?

Memory (not hard drive space) could very well be your problem.

A computer gives programs all the memory they need. When you run out, it starts writing to a place on your hard drive known as the page file. When that runs out as well, it denies programs memory. This generally ends in crashes and errors.

Your memory (Or at least the rem) is erased when you shut down. WE uses a lot of memory, so you should check if your comp has enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.