• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Working Siege Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey guys! I'm not the best trigger person, and I really only know how to use GUI, but I was thinking of a working mobile siege tower system.

It wouldn't work for all games in a simple format, but for my map the only way the towers can aim is up (so simply using unit offset makes it much easier to trigger it) and was thinking as opposed to simply just using regions and teleporting to use a way gate system (which I know is essentially regions).

As you can guess my map is similar to helms-deep, and I want the way gates and invisible dummies over simple regions due to the malleability of the position of my towers (as they shouldn't have to be on a certain tile, but rather a distance from the castle wall).

What I had in mind was procedurally generating a dummy way gate on an offset to the siege engine when it uses an ability (which is triggered by moving onto a rect close enough to the wall), and then casting the way gate target in relation to the offset of the siege tower.

I know how this would be possible if I knew how in RP maps the " 'waygate' " ability works I could simply add it into the dummy unit and it would work.

However the problem is I believe it's procedurally generating an array of regions corresponding to a tower (which remove themselves when the corresponding unit that has the ability dies).

While this sounds good (and it is) I simple don't have any idea how to procedurally generate these regions and was hoping someone would possibly have a solution in GUI (if it is possible to even do in GUI).

Level 8
as far as I know you cannot change waygate points ingame... so that method is not possible (i could be wrong or I may have misunderstood you.)

However what I can do is to make a siege tower system where when you send a unit into the siege tower it will modify the flying height and play walk animation (looks sorta like climbing) then when it reaches a certain point (the top of the siege tower) the unit will move (smoothly on to the wall (providing there is a wall. else it will go back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.