• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wood Stake Wall

Kitbashed wall made entirely out of parts from Skulls on Sticks doodad.

I intend it to be used as a wall for gnoll camps, but its versatile enough otherwise.
Also some nice stones :)
Contents

Wood Stake Wall (Model)

Reviews
Ardenaso
Works fine without any real problem, however the stones on the ground are unnecessary as you can simply just get stone doodads for the ground instead. Also, make the middle parts thicker to remove the holes/spaces and give the feeling of an actual...
Level 12
I don't see the gnoll theme, but I always love a good palisade.

If you could give it a death animation where the logs each fly in different directions (like if hit by an explosion or boulder), that would be amazing.

I don't see the gnoll theme, but I always love a good palisade.

If you could give it a death animation where the logs each fly in different directions (like if hit by an explosion or boulder), that would be amazing.
It's any theme really, I just happen to be working on some gnoll-related project...|

Anyway, here's an additional pic:

1669969898768.png

Level 12
I kinda like the gaps between the logs. Makes it look more primitive. Good for creep bases, as was the original intent. And it's not like enemies are gonna run up to the wall and shoot arrows in a two inch gap.

But I wouldn't mind having two version, this and a neater version for neater bases. And I would still give it a badass "death" animation.

I kinda like the gaps between the logs. Makes it look more primitive. Good for creep bases, as was the original intent. And it's not like enemies are gonna run up to the wall and shoot arrows in a two inch gap.

But I wouldn't mind having two version, this and a neater version for neater bases. And I would still give it a badass "death" animation.
I have no idea how to do build/death animations yet, but I might add a stoneless, gapless and just stones version to the bundle later.

Level 4
I just downloaded it and used it first in my campaign for testing only. I imported lot of stuff for my main campaign, but that was always creatures models and icons, never doodads or structure so far. So I apologise if my question is stupid.

But how should I make best use of this? Would be good as kind of wall in some small wood camps for example. I would need it there.

I did try to copy one wall, and replaced model file with war3campImported\Wooden Stake Wall.mdx, it looks fine in game, but units can pass through it. In settings of structure Pathing Walkable - False is set already.
I can set pathing blockers as for example line of sight block, or pathing blocker ground, but than I think units would be able to fire through it still (in first case, if they have vision of other side).

Before I downloaded I imagined it to be bigger. With this size, it would have logic that archers or mortars can fire over them. That now confuses me even more, what would be best for it.

But as I said I have zero expirience with importing this kind of stuff so far. I would need some help, if someone can give me advice and hints, it would be good for me to learn anyway how to handle structures and doodads modifications.

What model at first place I should pick to copy (make it custom) and than use this file with it? And what setting to use, at least to make it not passable and for melee (or all) unit not being able to fight throught it.

Thank in advance <3

EDIT - toying with it, I set Editor Maximum Scale from default 1200 to 2000, and unit can't pass through it anymore, and melee units can't catch each other, archers however have no problem to fire through it.

Last edited:
but units can pass through it.
Hit the P key on your keyboard in the editor as a guide to enable viewing ground pathing. There should be pink squares under the wall. If there are not, use pathing blockers (Ground).
in first case, if they have vision of other side
if you dont want units to view through the wall use Line of Sight blockers
archers however have no problem to fire through it.
you cant make anything like missile blockers in this game... Well I guess you can with like some crazy mad coding and scripts, but in the base game, that's not really a feature.

Before I downloaded I imagined it to be bigger.
you can adjust the scale in the object editor. Also you can press SPACE key in editor, Left-click on the placed object in the map editor to select it and hit ENTER, a window will pop up with scaling and rotation values.

Level 12
A slight critique: Since the rope is not straight, it is really hard to make a continuous wall out of it without making it obvious where the models are connected. The transition from one into the other should be seamless.
1681242776104.png