• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WIP - Extract all weapons & Disarm all units from Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Disarmed Models & Weapons

This is a "Work In Progress" resource. I'm working on extracting all weapons held by units into standalone attachments. At the same time I'm creating a weaponless model of every unit that normally holds a weapon. This includes fixing the 'hand' attachments so they're actually on unit's hands instead of at their wrists (wtf?)

Motivation
With the loss of Wc3c and the introduction of reforged I was surprised to find how hard it is to get a variety of weapon attachments. I'm building a hero map where you can switch your weapon during play and I really wanted a good variety of attachments. At the same time removing weapons from models isn't all that hard but still takes time. I'm looking to solve both of those problems by providing every weaponless model along with every weapon attachment. (With some exceptions)

Methodology
Retera's Model Editor is an amazing tool and actually its not that much work to remove a weapon or conversely extract a weapon to use as an attachment. However it still takes time, and for folks unfamiliar with the tools it might be out of reach entirely. For me at least, I only have a decently basic understanding of the model editor so it would definitely take me a long while to produce so many models which is why my strategy is very different.

I started with a copy of the source code to Retera's Model Editor. From there I used all the useful classes and tools exposed to the editor and wrote a small tool that automatically scrapped through Wc3's data to find every unit model which appeared to wield some kind of weapon. This created a list of ~700ish some models to extract. (Where each model is either a model to remove all weapons from, or one of the weapons in the model's hand to isolate into an attachment.)

From there I expanded the tool to automatically remove/isolate weapons. Particularly positioning attachments is quite tricky, and my unaided heuristics were unable to tell some things. (e.g. how a shield looks compared to a spear). Instead I do have to feed some manual data to adjust positioning of certain attachments. I'm still working on tuning the heuristics to produce the best possible results.

What's Available
  • 337 Extracted Weapons
  • 266 Units with weapons removed

Pending Work

• Scale normalization: I intend to normalize all the unit sizes and all the attachment sizes so every attachment looks roughly correct with every unit
  • Books: I intend to extract held books into attachments
  • Not sure what they're called but the weapon style used by 'Warden' and similar units will be supported in the future
  • Categorization: I intend to arrange attachments by category

Known Issues

• Attachments which require animation can't be extracted. Specifically Flails/Bows are not included for that reason
  • Bows/Archers are missing entirely. Right now I'm not planning on doing bows/archers because attachments don't support animation.
  • A few extracted weapons fail to render any/all textures. I'll keep looking into this but if folks have ideas on what might be wrong I'm all ears.
  • Weapons with attached lights don't get processed correctly. I'm planning on fixing this! (e.g. Jaina's light stays attached to her instead of her staff)

Thanks
  • Thanks to mori for building ceres which I've used extensively
  • Thanks to Retera for the model studio and releasing the source code too so I can do this work

Attached Resources
I've attached a demo map folks can use to demo all the weapons attached to any of the units. You won't be able to edit the demo map (it was generated via ceres). While this is absolutely a WIP if someone wants to start using them immediately I've attached a zip with all the models.

I've attached a few screenshots of random units (with their weapon removed) holding random weapons. This is only a tiny amount of the actual weapons/units.

Unsurprisingly every reforged model with their weapons removed is still about 500mb so I had to upload it elsewhere unfortunately. I'm hoping to post this as a pack on hive when complete so we'll see what the maximums there are.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_011821_230933_001.png
    WC3ScrnShot_011821_230933_001.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 69
  • WC3ScrnShot_011821_231037_001.png
    WC3ScrnShot_011821_231037_001.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 67
  • WC3ScrnShot_011821_231048_001.png
    WC3ScrnShot_011821_231048_001.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 59
  • WC3ScrnShot_011821_231054_001.png
    WC3ScrnShot_011821_231054_001.png