• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Whats new in the recent year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I havent been around much for the new changes in Reforged, is the WE better now? what are some of the bigger improvements, and do you expect Blizzard to make any further improvements?

Do people still use custom or modified versions of the editor? or is it better to stick with default currently? I have no interest in older patches, just the latest reforged patches

Where can I find the most up to date guides? thanks :)

Level 9
I don't know since when you left, but the biggest recent changes for a mapmaker are patch 1.29 and 1.31 with highres WE, lua support, custom UI, local files auto-enabled, and lots of useful natives such as detect damage, set ability icon, hide ability, set unit HP, damage, armor and other fields.

Nowadays the best WE is just vanilla, in lua mode.
Lots of mapmakers also use typescript to enforce typing (otherwise prepare for painful debugging)
There is a guide here: cipherxof/wc3-ts-template

Other useful recent tools include w3x2lni, cascview and retera's model studio.

Level 6
thanks pr114 :) that was helpful! if anybody else has anything to add that would be great too

only other thing I can think of is - are there any possibilities of future updates? or is blizzard pretty quiet on the WE

Level 13
W.E seems to get a few patches along with most updates. But just to warn you, the EULA for using the W.E in Reforged was altered for greed/corruption and basically states you own nothing in your map, no ideas, no intellectual property, no moral rights etc. And you agree to that if you edit within Reforged, it's about as bad as a EULA can possibly get, it probably even crosses the line of whats legally possible to act on. But overall they just own all your work. If you don't care, then have at it.

If you do care, I would suggest using an older version from classic bnet days like version 1.31.1 June release I think was the last ver. I think there was some alterations maybe in the EULA from 1.29+ but nothing compared to how f***ed it is in Reforged. :)
Just wanted to warn you of that prior since no one really reads those things.
Not sure overall but i think a lot of people on here don't map edit within Reforged for that reason. Just a small f u to the new Activison-Blizzard standard. lol Their standard of releasing games 50% complete is also up there.
WC3 is still great, or will be again over time, but it got such bad reviews because it let down the fans so bad when it first came out because it basically didn't function/unplayable for a week or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.