• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to play Custom Wc3 TFT Maps in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
The last time I played custom maps I think it was 2013.

I occasionally read patch notes and I heard about the Warcraft Reforged but I really don't mind them.

Now I have some free time and I would like to play custom maps again. What are the things needed?

Like what is the latest patch I need to have? Do I need to use Reforge? Heck do you even still use vJASS?

Level 17
Any map that worked well in the past should still work in any later patch (but many were unstable as is so that's relative, with stability returning with later minor patches), but if a map was made in any newer patch of the game, e.g. 1.31, you will probably not be able to play it in an older patch of the game (an indicator of this would be the map not showing up in the list); this means that you will either have to look at supported versions if noted or use as new of a patch as you can.

Most serious incompatibilities would be 1.28-1.29, 1.30-1.31 and 1.31-1.32 but it would probably be good to have the latest patch for maps and, if you can get it, a backup of 1.31 for custom campaigns (although some campaigns seem to break after every patch so that's hard to keep track of)

Jass is fully supported but Lua support was added over a year ago so you might see many maps using it instead.

Level 6
Any map that worked well in the past should still work in any later patch (but many were unstable as is so that's relative, with stability returning with later minor patches), but if a map was made in any newer patch of the game, e.g. 1.31, you will probably not be able to play it in an older patch of the game (an indicator of this would be the map not showing up in the list); this means that you will either have to look at supported versions if noted or use as new of a patch as you can.

Most serious incompatibilities would be 1.28-1.29, 1.30-1.31 and 1.31-1.32 but it would probably be good to have the latest patch for maps and, if you can get it, a backup of 1.31 for custom campaigns (although some campaigns seem to break after every patch so that's hard to keep track of)

Jass is fully supported but Lua support was added over a year ago so you might see many maps using it instead.
So do I need to use REFORGED?

And is it true the that WARCRAFT TFT is now FULLY FREE?
Or is it half free.
Can I now use the Battle.Net on the free WARCRAFT TFT?

Man I really would love to play at Battle.net because Wc3 in garena exist no more and I don't know about the Ranked Gaming Client if that still exist.

Level 17
Sorry for the late response,
You will only need to use 1.32 (what is colloquially called reforged) to play maps that were made in the 1.32 version of the World editor.
every map will require a version of the game greater or equal to the one it was made on (only major versions need to match, 1.xx is the major version, 1.xx.yy is the minor version), so 1.31 or greater if you want to play a map made on 1.31 World editor, 1.30 for 1.30 and, once 1.33 releases, most probably 1.33 for 1.33

Warcraft 3 is not free, what you may have heard is that TFT is now free because RoC cd-keys are enough to both give you the basegame+expansion for versions after 1.30 and to give you access to 1.32 but without unlocked HD assets.
To simplify, you still need at least RoC cd-keys, but buying the full "Reforged" (the 30USD purchase) would work instead of a cd-key.

"WARCRAFT TFT" in your question was ambiguous so I assumed you meant the last version of the game before 1.32

If you have more questions or if I assumed anything incorrectly, feel free to ask more.

Status
Not open for further replies.