• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Whats better? Models or Skins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ki

Ki

Level 7
I have never been able to understand why people make skins instead of models. Most skin makers are modelers to. Why replace a unit (model) instead of having a new?

That's pretty easy to answer. Some people don't know how to make models. Skins also save space in map size.

Level 10
This poll is really not to answer really. Models and Skins are two different things. Many people can't do models or don't want to invest time in learning modeling (like me) so they try to use only skins. But in general it's always depending on what you want to make. Sometimes you must have a new model and sometimes a new skin on an existent model gives the same effect.
A problem with models is by the way that only very few people actually succeed in making good animations. Making own animations also requires extra programs as far as I know...
a model without fitting animations is only a half model.

Waldbär said:
This poll is really not to answer really. Models and Skins are two different things. Many people can't do models or don't want to invest time in learning modeling (like me) so they try to use only skins. But in general it's always depending on what you want to make. Sometimes you must have a new model and sometimes a new skin on an existent model gives the same effect.
A problem with models is by the way that only very few people actually succeed in making good animations. Making own animations also requires extra programs as far as I know...
a model without fitting animations is only a half model.

Some people only knows how to make models aswell, not everyone has great drawing skills but are still very good at modelling :)

To name a few, N00byStance, RaoDaoZao, both usually uses ingame skins or extract skins from elsewhere and recolors, stuff like that. Neither of them are skinners and try to avoid it but still are really great modellers :)

Level 10
Of course you may be right. I only didn't see this perspective because I don't have this problem! 8)
I don't want to say that I'm a super skinner, but I think it's OK, although I'm quite slowly, but the quality is acceptable. But I'm too lazy to learn modeling at the moment! :p

Waldbär said:
Of course you may be right. I only didn't see this perspective because I don't have this problem! 8)
I don't want to say that I'm a super skinner, but I think it's OK, although I'm quite slowly, but the quality is acceptable. But I'm too lazy to learn modeling at the moment! :p

You want to model but dont want to bother learning how to make animations? Then become a attachment modeller! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.