• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

water effect over marble texture tiling..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi...i need help. I am trying to place the water effect ontop of a marble texture textile. I've seen it on many maps - Dixel's TD map and several occasional Footman Wars maps in custom maps, on battlenet. Its a very beautiful effect that i want to implement extensively and plentifully across my map. :)

I even have this large fountain of marble but i can't figure out how to place the water effect ontop of the marble floor texture.

Everytime I try to place the water option (shallow water, deep water - in the texture palette) the deep and shallow water always makes the marble disappear and places a big ugly mudhole in the ground, lowering the ground level automatically, in its place. :?

Anyone know how the guy that made Dixel's TD map and the guyz that made the water effect in some footman warz maps, where the units got to walk on the water, that was very shallow and u could see the marble floor tiling on the battlefield? Please tell me. Im desperate to know...thank u

Level 6
i dont quite see what you're trying to get at here, unless i'm very much misinterpreting you. Its very simple terraining.
Load up the terrain brush pallet by pressing (T)
Check the tick box for texture and select 'marble tiles' texture.
Check the tick box for cliffs and select the 'shallow water' option, and the 'tiled walls' cliff type.

Wave the magic cursor around the map to make lots of underwater marble.

If the water is too deep for your liking, go back to the terrain pallet and go down to the bottom. Deformation, i think its called. Click on the 'raise terrain' button (a little blue hill), go back to some of your underwater marble, and raise it up to the level you want. Then click the 'plateu' button (a hill with a level top) and, starting from the part you just raised, click and hold, dragging it over all your marble. It should all raise to exactly the same height.

I am sorry if i have misinterpreted your question, in which case i apologise for explaining this so basically. If i havent misunderstood you... get terraining!

Bort

Level 1
okay- i do all that ...perfectly in the exact order u specified..but when i put the marble tile in place - then try to add shallow water cliff ontop of it - the action eliminates the marble and replaces it with a hole in the ground...how come it does this? How come it removes the marble tile and in its place - i get a dirt texture instead?

I think something is wrong - cause the marble tile always disappears and never stays - and the WE puts the ugliest mudhole in its place....

anyone know what i could be doing wrong?

Level 2
Somewhere on the terrain menu there should be an option to change cliff type, change it from the rock to whatever the other one is.

Level 6
You are probably not actually doing this in the order that I said.
I'll really guide you through it this time.

Create a new map, selecting the 'Dalaran Ruins' tileset.

WorldEdit uses a number of GUI interfaces to make for easy navigation and creation of maps. Its the best i've come across, and i look at all the editor programs for all games. The ones you'll be using are the 5 Palettes. These are Terrain (loaded by pressing 'T'), Doodads (D), Units (U), Regions (R) and Cameras (M). So press T and load up the Terrain Palette.
It should look like this.
my.php

(resize so it has everything showing)

There are 4 sections. Apply Texture, Apply Cliff, Apply Height, and Size

You'll be needing to use the Texture, Cliff, and Size functions.
Now, lets look at the Texture function.
This will change the appearance of the ground, creating things like dirt, grass, rock, and marble. Tiles with blue squares in the corner are unbuildable: you can't place structures on these tiles. Other than this, textures have no real in game effect.
Tick the box so that it will now say 'Apply Texture: Dirt'. Now, if you click,hold and wave the cursor over the map, you'll make dirt. Probably not noticeable seeing as the entire map is dirt to start with.
Select the White Marble box (bottom left), wave it around and see the marble appear.

Now, go to the Cliff function. This is a big function. This creates the cliff walls that you see. Cliffs go up in steps of 1 or 2 (by clicking the raise 1 or 2 buttons). After a cliff has gone up by 2 levels, it needs a step, an area of flat ground, before more cliffs can be placed. Units can't walk up cliffs, except where ramps are placed (ramps are fiddly things, not difficult to make but they dont always do what you want).
Tick the box so that it will now say 'Apply Cliff: Increase One'. We want it to say 'Apply Cliff: Shallow Water', so tick the shallow water box.
Now, when you are placing cliffs, for each tileset there are two cliff types. One will be the default tile (for Dalaran the default is dirt, so we get Dirt Cliffs) and another one. Dalaran's secondary cliff type is 'Tiled Walls'. Make sure the tiled walls are selected. When two different types of cliff come into contact with each other (making a cliff wall on the same level) wierd things can happen, so try to keep them well isolated.
Cliffs will also affect the squares next to the wall, both on bottom and top: it will create a buffer layer of that texture (in this case, a small strip of purple tiles). This cannot be eliminated.

Skip the height function for now (make sure it is unticked), but remember for the future, no matter how high you raise the ground to make nice slopes, you cant more units from this raised height to a cliff, as they are still on different levels.

Go to the Size function. This determines how big an area you are affecting. Press the grid button (G) (grid may be on by default) until your map is crossed by a yellow grid of big squares made up of smaller white squares (you dont want the littler grey grid tho)
The different brush sizes will affect different areas of terrain. You'll need to switch sizes often to get the desired effect. For now, just select the largest size, 8. The square brushes in a square, the circle affects a circle... select the square for simplicity's sake.

so now your palette should look like this:
my.php

Then just click a big square on the map, and you'll get the effect you're wanting.

Whallah! Easy

Bort

Level 1
Hey yo - guys - I did it - i managed to get the marble tile water effect - so now it looks alot like a pool - effect..its pretty...BUT - I now want to get the white marble cliff tile - and i seen it on many maps (eg. Dixie's TD, several footman wars maps.) but the closest thing I can find is the Cityscape beige light brown marble cliff tile and the Dalarean purple marble cliff tile - which is an ugly color - but i want the white marble cliff tile - and i could've sworn I seen it ....anyone know where it is?

Level 6
Lol Im pretty sure there isnt a white marble cliff. You might be talking about raise and lower feature, and then raising it high to make it look like a cliff. Good luck
-Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.