• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III + Expansion: Bleached out / washed out FMV cinematics

Level 2
Hi all,

New here :peasant-grin:(not exactly: I've been visiting The Hive Workshop to download custom single player campaigns and gather info for a personal modding project in The Frozen Throne, I am delighted this place exists)

Context: I own Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne expansion (Battle Chest edition), years ago I registered my CD keys on my Battle.net account to download the games from there before Ref***ed was a thing.
Now for old school gaming I use a:
  • Windows 7 64 bit, processor AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-core with NVIDIA GTX 1050 graphics card
  • 17 inch 1280x1024 monitor (I care about the original aspect ratios)
  • and for W3 games, I have deliberately stuck to v1.26.0.6401 (I don't want the widescreen BS that shows how the game was not built for it, like in-game cutscenes where you can see the edges of the map, characters "pop" into existence etc.) and set compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP 3) with Disable Desktop Composition (though not using these compatibility modes doesn't seem to change anything...)

(Out of curiosity, I did download on my Macbook Pro the Reforged version I'm entitled to - no new high res models in-game because I didn't buy it but all the data dumped onto my disk nonetheless - I'll stick to the originals)

The problem (tl;dr it's in the title of the thread):
I use my old school gaming PC for preservation purposes, also for when my brother comes around and we can play the games from our youth and in view of sharing them with my children (not quite ready yet!). The W3 games both work perfectly on my Windows 7 64 bit except:
the FMV cinematics are bleached out / washed out colors :peasant-thumbs-down:

I'm sure there is a solution (you'd think a minor issue like this would be easier to solve!): before asking for help here, I found the following:

- here on the Hive, a (genuinely recent) solution to black screen during cinematics:
@Ravager16829 many thanks for the detailed post, I did not suffer from the black screen problem but I am glad to have found and installed the K-Lite Codec Pack as now I can also easily open the MPQ files in the "Movies" folder using MPC-HC; first I also tried the "little tricky thing with LAVFilters" but the cinematics remained washed out, getting the K-Lite Codec Pack (default settings) also didn't help (I understand this solution was meant to solve the black screen issue rather than the bleached out issue, but worth a try)

- some older posts on the Web do refer to W3 CGI cutscenes that are all completely washed out (in my case and as sometimes mentioned by others, there's also a narrow grey "bar" at the bottom of the cinematics in Reign of Chaos, funnily enough this bar doesn't exist in the FMVs for The Frozen Throne):
Using alternative codec instead of Mpeg Decoder DMO (didn't help)
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/any-way-to-get-warcraft-3-to-run-perfectly-in-windows-8.730276/ (didn't help solve the issue, but does detail other on-screen artefacts)

- closest solution so far to fixing bleached out FMV cinematics on Windows 7 64bit (originally posted as a solution on Win8 64x):
following this procedure to the letter which actually means disabling DivX in the FFDShow settings (and I hadn't installed K-Lite Codec Pack yet, I suppose I can't have both so I uninstalled FFDShow before installing K-Lite which apparently includes FFDShow anyway - but I didn't tamper with K-Lite's default settings yet), I found that the pre-rendered CGI cutscenes indeed no longer suffered from washed out colors, but then I had another problem: very dark (but not exactly black!) parts of any given frame would be "unrendered" to default pure blackness with ugly jagged borders and, e.g., for the expansion intro with Illidan, there'd be little fluctuating blue and purple artefacts all around the "Blizzard Presents" text... and for the Reign of Chaos cinematics, the grey bar at the bottom is only ever "almost" gone into blackness, instead hinting at its presence with faint fluctuating blue and purple artefacts... all heavily distracting!

For now I'm back at the stage of bleached out cinematics, with the K-Lite Codec Pack installed.

I hope this post is detailed enough, and hope someone can help with solving this issue! :p

Level 2
RESOLVED!

I can bring closure now :peasant-smile:
The following will be of particular interest to those who want to play the original Warcraft III games under original conditions on Windows 7/10.

Recapitulation:

- the games: Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne v1.26 (i.e., not Warcraft III: Reforged)

- the setup:
  • Windows 7 64-bit, processor AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-core with NVIDIA GTX 1050 graphics card
  • 17 inch 1280x1024 monitor
- the problem: washed out colors in FMV cinematics

- the solution: upgrade games to v1.28.5

- the reason: Blizzard modified how the videos are played after v1.26, fixing playback issues on modern Windows OS, and v1.28.5 is the last version before the widescreen aspect ratio was patched in with v1.29 which accidentally makes the games unplayable on original 4:3/5:4 aspect ratios

- the resource:
  • access the WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO)
  • in the table listing WC3 installation and patch downloads, select the "Game Files" tab and download 1.28.5 (Files_1.28.5.zip)
  • extract full game archive and run the WC3 unified executable (you now switch between Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne in-game from the main menu screen), enter your CD-keys for both Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne, and enjoy!

Now everything works perfectly including the CGI cinematics! :peasant-grin:
So I hereby confirm that WC3 v1.28.5 is the ultimate version of Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne for people who want to experience the original games under original conditions on modern Windows OS! (confirmed on Windows 7 64-bit, but should also work on Windows 10)

Special thanks to BogdanW4 [1.36.1] on The Hive Workshop's Discord for all the help! :peasant-thumbs-up-cheers:

Level 19
"washed out colors" with low contrast output is/was a pretty popular issue with mismatched color space settings of the GPU driver and what the monitor expects (search nvidia limited rgb, full rgb).

This might have had something to do with video decoding & drivers or simply a bug in game's video handler. Because videos are usually in the YUV color space for efficiency. I want to thank you for writing down your troubleshooting.