1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft II Mage

Submitted by AndrewOverload519
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
"Once students of the Conjurers of Azeroth, the Mages of the Kirin Tor had been forced to discover untapped magical forces to command during the Second War against the ruthless Orcs. Although masters of their arts, the Conjurers who fell during the First War were unprepared for the rigors of warfare. Determined to avoid a similar fate, the Mages had undertaken a regimen that is equally demanding on both the body and soul, thus dedicating themselves to the command of the more aggressive and destructive spells which the Conjurers lack. Whether in their sanctum at the Violet Citadel in Dalaran or on the many battlefields of Lordaeron, the Mages are resolute in their efforts to defend the people."

Another remake of a retro unit, this time the Human Mage from Warcraft II! As there is no good model for this guy yet, I've decided to do my own take on him based on the Necromancer. I've tried to remain faithful to the original design as possible, both in the ingame portrayal as well as some of the artwork from that era, but with my own artistic tweaks here and there. Hopefully he should look pleasing.

This model uses ingame textures, so no need to worry about texture paths. Just simply import both the model and the portrait into your custom map!

If you want to use this model then feel free to do that, provided that you'll give credit to me in return.

UPDATE 1:
Adjusted the portrait's camera.

UPDATE 2:
Updated for approval. The ball on the staff has been replaced with a billboarded mesh. In addition, the model now has seperate Attack and Spell animations.

UPDATE 3:
Recalculated extents.

Keywords:
Warcraft II, Warcraft 2, WCII, WC2, mage, wizard, spellcaster
Contents

Warcraft II Mage (Model)

Warcraft II Mage (Model)

Assets
Reviews
20:53, 20th Apr 2013 Misha: all cool, i like the fire particles. :) btw.. is there a reason for using a whole sphere instead of a billboarded plane for the top of the staff? all works well, approved.
  1. 20:53, 20th Apr 2013
    Misha: all cool, i like the fire particles. :)
    btw.. is there a reason for using a whole sphere instead of a billboarded plane for the top of the staff?
    all works well, approved.

2. TaShadan

TaShadan

Resources:
    Resources:
    i like him. how does it look without the thing around his neck? maybe it looks better?

Also the portrait is strange. Its not high enough.

Just realized that the Mage is bold because i use the Skins from the Scars of Conflict pack :D

3. AndrewOverload519

AndrewOverload519

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    The brown thing? I personally think the model looks good with it on.

I've fixed that as soon as I saw the screenshot that you've posted in my models thread, so thanks for the heads up.

This isn't really an issue with the model itself, but it's more of a thing with using ingame textures in general. Replacing the regular Bandit Mage textures with the skin from the SoC Resource Pack WILL mess things up a bit. However, you can easily fix that by carefully following this helpful tutorial to make the Bandit Mage use the SoC reskin without having to replace the regular one.

4. TaShadan

TaShadan

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont mean the brown thing. that looks pretty nice. i mean the popped collar.

5. AndrewOverload519

AndrewOverload519

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    If that's the case, then the same thing would apply to that. It's just my personal preference, although if enough people seem to prefer him without the collar then I might consider removing it. We'll see.

6. TaShadan

TaShadan

Resources:
    Resources:
    or you make an alternative version? :)

7. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Good job.

8. Orcnet

Orcnet

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    a very useful model :)

9. The Pale King

The Pale King

Resources:
    Resources:
    This I a simple but effective model, one that I will be using. 4/5

10. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A solid model overall. Would be a bit more true to the concept with brown beard instead of black, though. Nothing too important of course. Good job once more.

11. PennWarcraft

PennWarcraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just looked in the manual for Warcraft 2 and I love the resemblance this guy has to the official artwork. :) The collar was a nice touch too. However... I'm not too fond of the brown thing. Kind of throws it off for me. Also, I agree with Linaze -- the beard should be brown, or maybe even white. But I suppose alternate versions of the model could address these minor niggles, since overall it's a wonderful piece of work! Great job! 4/5

12. TaShadan

TaShadan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do you know which projectile anim coordinates are best to fit to the top of the staff?

13. LISBOAH

LISBOAH

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks nice. Good job!

14. Gumberbunbder

Gumberbunbder

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I like that he's taller than wc3 necromancers. Good model, thanks