• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 2 modders, assemble! We need to talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys,

A good Warcraft 2 conversion is one of the top things that people have wanted from Warcraft 3 modding that's never really been delivered. The point of this is to discuss that.

There's several projects that have been abandoned that were making excellent progress. Across these projects, most of the key challenges have been addressed. I have seen maps that had working systems for:

-Oil platforms/cost
-Advanced Building Menu
-Harvesting, Ranger/Paladin upgrades
-Mage/Paladin spells
-War2 style gold mine handling (infinite peasants inside)

Here's my vision:

Let's get a basic, working, modular Warcraft 2 package together.

This should include the essentials of creating a map or campaign in the Warcraft 2 tech tree. It would include the premade units with WC2 stats and the custom models that exist now. It would also include the scripts to handle the custom spells and other Warcraft 2 systems like oil and advanced building.

This is a skeleton of Warcraft 2 that people can build on:

-Create multiplayer maps for it
-Impliment whatever kind of hero system they want
-Remake the old campaigns, or create new ones inspired by that timeline
-Change the tech tree and add new units

This way, people wanting to build War2 styled maps won't need to reinvent the wheel everytime and we can actually get some content churned out.

------

This is an accessible project with a clear and reasonable goal which can open a lot of doors for other projects. In my time lurking I've noticed a lot of posters that are consistently giving input into Warcraft 2 style projects. The things that I need from the community are:

1.) Ideas for how to structure and distribute something like this. It needs to be something you can plugin to the world editor to open up our units/scripts. I don't know what the best way to do this is right now. Is it custom MPQs?

2.) The work that you've done! If you have created a working Advanced Building system, oil harvesting, spells, etc then please share them!

3.) Discussion. Would like to hear what were some of the insurmountable challenges that caused other War2 projects to die. Also input on things that I might overlook that would need to be included in a basic package.

Thanks for participating. Let's do it.

Level 2
yep, exactly like that, though at the time I made this post that mod was not working with the current war3 version

2nd gen has since been updated and my hopes for something like this rest on that. this thread can be closed

Status
Not open for further replies.