• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Want to make some Wc3 custom maps, and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello i have been trying to find some tutorials on map making, but can seem to find any tutorials for beginners to map making.

Btw the first map i want to create is a dungeon crawler, would like to make some custom spells and some mechanics with the bosses.

all help is appreciated

Level 26
It hard to help you just like that. I haven no idea what kind of dungeon crawler you want to make.
I'd recommend checking other projects out in order to get inspired. :)
You should check out this, which is, in my opinion, the best dungeon crawler out there: Sunken City v2.3.6b
Or my own project, which is a campaign, but has several dungeons to go through: Warden

Level 11
Well any specific questions? The editor is pretty user friendly if you want to make anything remotely like the original game, but if you want to do things differently you'll probably need to learn how to do proper triggers and the like.

Custom spells can be made in the object editor (F6, or the helmet icon on the toolbar). There you can tweak and modify most the original abilities.

Personally I would NOT try to make anything so grand as a modern map like Sunken City. Make something smaller first, and have some fun. Maybe something more like Warchasers, which was included in the original game.

ISL

ISL

Level 13
Reading guides and getting theoretical knowledge is fine, but the truest skill will only come from your self-experience.

Play around an have fun, explore the editor while simultaneously browsing some random guides.

The Trigger editor is the most poweful tool in WE. It's where all the systems, mechanics, custom spells and scripted actions are created, and it is very easy to use if you are familiar with the basics of coding/programming. If you don't have those basics, the trigger editor is a great opportunity to get some :).

To speed up the process of learning the spell-making, you can browse and download the spells from this site and look at how they're made from inside. Some of them are written in Jass, others use hastables, and the rest are made in usual GUI (the easiest one, yet, still powerful and effective).

Level 2
Thanks for all the replies and help,
It hard to help you just like that. I haven no idea what kind of dungeon crawler you want to make.
I'd recommend checking other projects out in order to get inspired. :)
You should check out this, which is, in my opinion, the best dungeon crawler out there: Sunken City v2.3.6b
Or my own project, which is a campaign, but has several dungeons to go through: Warden

Thanks for the reply, is the map you mentioned protected against opening them?.

Level 2
Sunken City is in order to reduce gile size, I think.
Mine can be opened and dessicated if you want. :)

Tried playing Sunkern City yesterday with some friends had a blast, its a REALLY good map. The type of dungeon crawler i had in mind was kinda like Warchasers/Cavern of chaos, so i'm looking for some tutorials on how to make some boss mechanics. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Level 7
First you need to have an idea of what you're looking for. Then, we can help. You can find inspirations to with boss mechanics in GoH, Impossible Bosses, and a lot of other maps.

Most of the time we'll be able to help you how to achieve the ideas you're having, not help you with ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.