• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Various beginner's questions. Help me if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Greetings!

I'm new to these forums but I've found this site/board to be very useful for my experience so I thought that a thread like this would speed up my learning process. I use 'search' quite often but sometimes there're problems which I have to learn to fix by myself so the questions thread should help even better.

I've just started to make my first map "Wasteland:survival" and it's going to be a rpg/survival project

in the fallout/wasteland (old game) theme with non-linear questline (I highly love the "random plot" system of NightOfTheDead:Aftermath where you have a set number of sub-quests which appear in a somewhat-random order so I am going to implement "random quest" system) but for now I'm even not in the scripts and try to learn simple things.

Here go the questions:
1) Which line determines the "invisible" status for abilities like windspell? I can see various variables for attack speed increase, duration etc. but nothing for invisibility part.
2) What are the "text - orderstring" lines for? I.e. I did the "sprint" ability based on windwalk but without the backstab damage and invisibility (not fixed yet, see the 1st question) and it has "Text - Order String - Use/Turn On : windwalk", what does it do? Also if it's important, you select from a pre-defined list for this entity, where do I change this list?
3) What determines the fact that an attack stops the buff from working like in the windwalk case? Backstab? Is it hardcoded or am I able to make an ability which gives you a backstab damage but is not interrupted by the first attack?
4) Somewhat related to the 2nd question: is there some kind of "API" which describes all the variables in object editor?
5) Can you direct me to someone who can help me with a model or two? I want a "power armor helmet" attachable. The marine model is fine for a Power Armor/APA but it has no helmet so I'd like to add a "helmet" attachable to it.

I work slowly, jumping from the terrain to items to abilities to units and backwards, and generally I've just started to make the map 2 days ago but I will try to speed up a process with schedule system. I don't want to hire a "team" of some sort but I will still need you because I am russian so various grammar errors are inevitable and I don't want such problems to stay.

I hope there's someone to help me. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Level 35
Greetings!

I'm new to these forums but I've found this site/board to be very useful for my experience so I thought that a thread like this would speed up my learning process. I use 'search' quite often but sometimes there're problems which I have to learn to fix by myself so the questions thread should help even better.

I've just started to make my first map "Wasteland:survival" and it's going to be a rpg/survival project

in the fallout/wasteland (old game) theme with non-linear questline (I highly love the "random plot" system of NightOfTheDead:Aftermath where you have a set number of sub-quests which appear in a somewhat-random order so I am going to implement "random quest" system) but for now I'm even not in the scripts and try to learn simple things.

Here go the questions:
1) Which line determines the "invisible" status for abilities like windspell? I can see various variables for attack speed increase, duration etc. but nothing for invisibility part.
2) What are the "text - orderstring" lines for? I.e. I did the "sprint" ability based on windwalk but without the backstab damage and invisibility (not fixed yet, see the 1st question) and it has "Text - Order String - Use/Turn On : windwalk", what does it do? Also if it's important, you select from a pre-defined list for this entity, where do I change this list?
3) What determines the fact that an attack stops the buff from working like in the windwalk case? Backstab? Is it hardcoded or am I able to make an ability which gives you a backstab damage but is not interrupted by the first attack?
4) Somewhat related to the 2nd question: is there some kind of "API" which describes all the variables in object editor?
5) Can you direct me to someone who can help me with a model or two? I want a "power armor helmet" attachable. The marine model is fine for a Power Armor/APA but it has no helmet so I'd like to add a "helmet" attachable to it.

I work slowly, jumping from the terrain to items to abilities to units and backwards, and generally I've just started to make the map 2 days ago but I will try to speed up a process with schedule system. I don't want to hire a "team" of some sort but I will still need you because I am russian so various grammar errors are inevitable and I don't want such problems to stay.

I hope there's someone to help me. Thank you in advance.

1) Windwalk has an ingame function (I do believe) that makes the caster invisible. It can not be stopped either via the object editor or the gameplay constants. As you are doing a sprint ability, wouldn't it make more sense to base it off of Berserk? Berserk is a non-auto-castable ability (which I assume is what you're looking for) which can be programmed around so that the caster doesn't take extra damage and doesn't have an increased attack rate.

2) The orderstrings are, I think, just references for triggers. I say this because having 2 abilities based off of the same one with altered orderstrings doesn't stop them overlapping one another.

3) If you follow the Berserk idea, this probably won't be an issue.

4) I am not aware of something like that. I would love to see all the variables and such that are hard-coded into Warcraft, but I'm not sure if this is yet possible. I don't think it would be possible to alter it even if you can see it, however. Well, for now I think it is enough you can code your own ingame variables via the trigger editor (WARNING: You HAVE to use Jass in this. If you are handy with Jass, this won't be a problem). I am referring to the topmost line, the name of the map will be there and have that map icon next to it. Select it, and you can add what you want to become a part of the game itself.

5) I am sorry, but can be of no assistance to you in this category.

Well, I hope I solved some of your issues. Fallout is wicked! Well, good luck!

Level 12
Thank you for your answers. I have another question here: There're "action/spell submenus" in various maps, i.e. "Actions"->(click)->Run/reload/jump etc. which are made the same way as the hero "+" ability level-up button is made. Do you know a way/link to a tutorial which describes how to make it? I want the hero to perform a lot of actions so standard 7 free slots are not enough.

Level 4
Thank you for your answers. I have another question here: There're "action/spell submenus" in various maps, i.e. "Actions"->(click)->Run/reload/jump etc. which are made the same way as the hero "+" ability level-up button is made. Do you know a way/link to a tutorial which describes how to make it? I want the hero to perform a lot of actions so standard 7 free slots are not enough.

you will only have 5 slots for your hero. you cannot remove all of them. and if you plan to implement a spellbook, thats minus 1 button.

for a spellbook example/tutorial check the triggers and spells section of hive workshop. there are at least 2 working examples in there.

regards

blackcud

Level 12
OK, to avoid multiple threads: what is the right way to create spells with desired effects from scratch? Maybe there's some tutorial of any kind?
I.e. now I have this kind of problem: I want to add "sleep" ability based on "sleep" spell which puts your unit to sleep and restores some mana. I've made the one which targets yourself but there's no field for mana restoration and I don't know how to add this effect. Some help please ))).

Level 18
Unit begins effect of an ability
Ability being cast = sleep (sleep= roar only targetable self)
set x = casting unit
if mana of casting unit < 10 (Mana required to cast)
do nothing
else
Unit make casting unit invurnable
pause x
wait 5 seconds
add 100 mana to x
unit make x vurnable
unpause x

This is not MUI but should get you started through basics.

Level 12
Thank you for your feedback, mr. Bounty Hunter the 2nd, but I did not understand your useful answer :). You see, I've opened the WEditor two days ago and it was the first time of my life when I did it. So I don't get where should I type this script. Some details or just a simple link (not google.com please :)) would be great. And in the end I was asking about the effect for a spell in the WEditor UI, and there you get just this:
1kwf9.png

After I add this script someway where should I type the script name?

Also maybe YoU know what is this "Text - Order String : sleep" for, oh mighty guru? :) Is it the link to the trigger I should write, and if it is so, where do I write triggers again? :)

Level 8
I would do it the other way around. Have a spell to regain mana and make a dummy unit to cast sleep on unit.

EDIT: Ok in light of the reply u posted while I wrote this one, you should find a tutorial on basic triggering because only working with the unit editor will limit you a lot. Find out how to make a dummy unit if you want to do my method.

Order Strings are a label given to the order given to a unit when casting spells, moving, attacking etc. Like in a trigger you can make an event which orders a unit to do <<insert order string>> with the effect that the unit will cast any spell with that order id or attack move or whatever.

Level 12
OK, I start to learn noobish triggering and there's the first problem I've encountered:
I've made this test trigger to see if the unit casts "sleeping" ability:
2niyz5x.jpg

In the game when the player 1 casts with unit this exact ability, he gets no message. Where's the stupid error here? :)

P.S. OK, I get it. It's ok and I've made the "Action" to restore mana so there's no need for a dummy unit of any kind. The problem with text should be a bad offset I guess, how is it calculated?

Level 4
I recommend you just use "Text message (auto-timed)". It'll display the message in the ordinary spot with no dealing with offsets or anything else annoying like that.

Also, use "Starts the effect of an ability", else you can quickly spam a spell followed immediately by stop and run the effects of the ability but not use any mana/initiate a cooldown.

Hope that helps ;d.

Level 12
+rep for all the replies. Thank you guys.

Here is how my sleep system is done:

At first if you're not in a specific range of a hostile unit (I use auras for various detection) the ability "Rest" invokes buff "Sleep" and puts you to sleep (gives your unit to neutral, waits 15 seconds, returns the unit to you; the Custom Number is used to track which player is the original owner of the unit):
  • Sleep Action
    • Events:
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Begins casting an ability
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Begins casting an ability
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Begins casting an ability
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions:
      • ((Ability being cast) Equal to Rest ) and (((Triggering unit) has buff Hostile in range ) Equal to False)
    • Actions:
      • Animation - Play (Triggering unit)'s death animation
      • Game - Display to (Player group((Owner of (Triggering unit)))) for 10.00 seconds the text: You fall asleep.
      • Unit - Set the custom value of (Triggering unit) to (Player number of (Triggering player))
      • Unit - Change ownership of (Triggering unit) to Player 12 (Brown) and Retain color
      • Wait 15.00 seconds
      • Unit - Set mana of (Triggering unit) to 100.00
      • Unit - Change ownership of (Triggering unit) to Player 1 (Red) and Retain color
If the player IS in a hostile range:
  • Sleep Action NOT
    • Events:
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Begins casting an ability
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Begins casting an ability
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Begins casting an ability
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions:
      • ((Ability being cast) Equal to Rest ) and (((Triggering unit) has buff Hostile in range ) Equal to False)
    • Actions:
      • Game - Display to (Player group((Owner of (Triggering unit)))) for 10.00 seconds the text: You can't sleep: th...
If the sleeping unit becomes attacked:
  • Sleep Action Wake
    • Events:
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Is Attacked
    • Conditions:
      • ((Triggering unit) has buff Sleep) Equal to True
    • Actions:
      • Unit - Change ownership of ((Triggering unit) to Player((Custom value of (Triggering unit)))) and Retain color
      • Unit - Remove Sleep buff from (Triggering unit)
This system does what I want: it takes the unit from you for a set duration so you lose the visibility/control over it, it plays "death" animation so the unit falls down. then it restores unit's fatigue (mana) and returns the control to you; if the unit is attacked while it sleeps it is returned to you without mana regeneration.

Any suggestions how to improve the trigger are very welcome. This trigger gives various results with different Order String values and some of them even return weird results, but in the end I've ended with "avatar" for rest and it works fine.

Level 12
An immediate problem with the example above: if I have the "rest" spell with another spell in the same spellbook (I use "actions" spellbook for various actions) all the spells from this spellbook pass the "condition" which asks for Sleep only (I don't get why) so Sprint which is in the same spellbook activates Rest instead with all the trigger functions... How to avoid it?
I think it comes with the thing that both spells are activated immediately when I click it. If I put a spell which requires to select a target inside the spellbook it works fine.

EDIT:
Sorry for the multipost, here goes the last question today: I've made an attachable (scaled/moved konstrukt submachinegun) and i use the villager model which has a lot of animation. Can you describe me how to set up some animation from the list to work when the unit attacks with the specified weapon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.