• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Valley of Snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Valley of Snakes

28_5435.png

Map Size: 84x84
Number of Players: 2-6

Introduction

Hello there! I've got some freetime from Heroes of War and decided to create my own little AoS. This one will be far less complicated and more simple, with less features than Heroes of War. This is because I won't put that much time working at this map. The little extra of this map is actually the terrain in my opinion. I've trying do my best to make it look sweet and it's not yet done. More things can always be added! (Screenshots below).

Well, about the map. It's the basics. There are two teams, Green Trolls and Blue Trolls, each team containing three players (yes, only three) and one line that will spawn units for both the teams (yes, one line).

Why only three playes/team and one line?
Answer: I want it simple.

Anyway, each player will control one hero with five different abilities. The basic Attribute Bonus, two basic abilities (learned at level 1), one a little more advanced ability (learned at level 4) and one ultimate ability (learned at level 6). Also, the hero will have three main attributes: Power, Swiftness and Intelligence.

The goal of the game is that one of the teams shall kill the other teams warchief, he's like a little boss inside a teams little camp. Don't think you can take him down alone...

I've planned to add a little dungeon at the side of the map, how this will work I don't know yet. It's very small though... So we'll see.

This is simple enought and hopefully this will create a nice looking and most important, fun gameplay. I don't know yet if I'll add any special features, if you got any ideas, feel free to post them!
Want to help me?

Currently I need ideas for heroes and items. As said above, the heroes must have five abilities and they must follow the rules.

Items don't have any specific rules, they may have any bonuses. An example of an item I've already created is:

+22 Damage
+20 Swiftness

Equip: Increases attack speed by 20%.
Chance on hit: Temporarily increase your attack speed by 60% for 4 seconds.

Any other ideas are also welome! Thanks.
Screenshots!

29_3746.jpg

29_6710.jpg

29_6686.jpg

29_3759.jpg

29_4059.jpg

28_1614.JPG

28_8340.JPG

28_2091.JPG

28_2117.JPG

28_5104.JPG

28_4321.JPG

Changelog

This is a changelog about what is being added or changed to the map.

• Small terrain improvements.
  • Added a working multiboard that displays the players, kills and deaths.
  • Added two commands. "-ms" (shows your movementspeed) and "-CamDis x" (a command to change the camera distance. x represents the value (only a value between 1000 and 3500))
  • Barracks now have to be killed before the warchief can be attacked.
  • Added an income that gives you 5 gold every 5th second.
  • Added an experience system, that give heroes 35 exp/normal unit and 15*DYINGHEROLVL exp/hero when an enemy unit dies.
  • The chaos is here! Defend your encampment from arisen infernals...

This thread is just a start and will probably be added with new content in the future. Thanks!

The_Flood (Flood@hiveworkshop)

Last edited:
Level 4
terrain looks good, i see lots of effort. i especially like the first WE shot! RAAWR!

one qtn though: one lane? how wide is it? coz, it could turn into a bit of a fustercluck, if you get my meaneing.. 'rules' are definitely important as good balance is gonna key!

anyway, good luck!

Level 4
i think a good way to keep it balanced would be to make only one set of heroes (i.e tank, dps, support, etc.) and then just change unit models & spell names (and animations etc.) for the other team.

in essence you are playing with the same characters, but the one set could be 'evil' and the other 'good', depending on the theme obviously 'orcs'/'humans', 'trolls'/'elves', 'goblins'/dwarfs' etc. (don exactly know the lore behind snake valley) [however, maybe make custom 'ultimates' for each individual one...? ]

(e.g. for 'good' have a paladin with a stun spell called 'holy-smite' and for 'evil' have a demon with a stun spell called 'death rattle'. in essence paladin = demon and holy-smite = death rattle)

you might loose some variation in characters, but then again you could also make more heroes for each side to choose from...

anyway, just a thought. use it, don't use it.

Level 4
A bad point though is that the number of unique heroes will decrease...

i agree, it will decrease unique heroes, that's why i made the ulti suggestion ;)

Then I came up with the idea of a custom skill tree, there you can select different class based abilities for your hero.

don't think i exactly understand what you mean... you get to select ANY of the abilities with ANY hero?

if that is the case, wouldn't that lead to people finding THE hero to play with? (e.g. a tank with retarded lifesteal, attackspeed, damage an then also with an nuts direct damage like a lightning bolt or something?)

I do like the sound of the general idea though. it adds a little something extra, which is good. however i think the 'layout' of the 'skill tree' bit is gonna be very important then...

(as always, just my opinion)

Level 4
not to sure about all this, quite new to makin maps, but surely there is a tool or app or something you can use to test balance with. (even just a spreadsheet or something....??!)

Level 19
@ikillu,
The balance isn't that hard I think. The hard thing is to come up with ideas for classes, abilities, items and much more.

@MrStormyZ,
Thanks for the comment! I agree with what you said, they take too much time to finish. That's why I'll give this a chance! :)

EDIT: I've added five new screenshots from an in-game view. =)

Last edited:
Level 4
new screens look good, but hey, what are you complaining about hero's for, i see one right there! hehe...

anyway hero classes are obviously gonna depend on lore. looks like trolls to me, but donno exactly what the whole story is...

3 main classes: tank, dps, mage.

in each you have different specializations (skill trees) and each specialization has different skills:

e.g: specialization - skills

tank:
defensive - suck up damage/reflect damage/creep buff or eat or something
offensive - super strong/ lots of health /splash/ stun

dps:
quick - lifesteal/attack speed/blink or windwalk
stealth - stealth/poison/trap
ranged - *some ranged skills - donno*

mage:
summoner/nature mage - summons things/buffs/heals
wizzard - damage spells

class determines ultimate e.g.:

offensive tank: Rage; increase strength (i.e. health & damage) and movement and attack speed for duration (you can later decide 'how' exactly)

summoner has: summon *something big* (bear/wolf/eagle/boar/lizard/dragon)

i think its better only to then (once you have a general outline of what you want possible) start worrying about exactly what it things are called and look like. apply the 'story' to the skeleton so to speak... also as you develop lore, you can link things together which creates a more comprehensive 'world' (or valley in your case!) things like the 'gods/ancestors', then maybe 2 heroes can benefit differently from the same bit of story. (tank draws power from 'gods' and mage uses power from 'gods' to blast baddies!)

Level 4
I like that you did this little list, I may have some help from it, even if I knew some of this already.

my pleasure! :p
also, soz, didn't intend to imply you didn't! just thought i'd put it all down...

anyway, check out THIS thread if yo havn't seen it yet... you might be able to pick up an idea or two regarding your trolls!

Status
Not open for further replies.