• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upgrading the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Now, my computer broke and I took it to the repair shop. The man in the store told me on the way out that I probably would want a new processor. I have a 2.2GHz dual-core t4400, my computer is an Acer Aspire 5738PZG and I have a socket P.

Now, I was google-ing around but I couldn't find if the socket matters, or what processors I could buy to my socket.

Does the Socket matter? What processors are there available for my socket?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Does the Socket matter?
Most obviously it does. Same reason you can not plug a DVI caple into a VGA output, they are just physically incompatible.

Additionally your motherboard BIOS might just not like some processors.

I advise reading up on your motherboard model to see what processors it supports.

When changing the CPU, it is important to place new thermal gel between the surface of the CPU package and the heatsink when finishing off. The gel has a lower thermal resistance than a tight seal with air so improves heat dissipation efficiency.

Level 10
Most obviously it does. Same reason you can not plug a DVI caple into a VGA output, they are just physically incompatible.

Additionally your motherboard BIOS might just not like some processors.

I advise reading up on your motherboard model to see what processors it supports.

When changing the CPU, it is important to place new thermal gel between the surface of the CPU package and the heatsink when finishing off. The gel has a lower thermal resistance than a tight seal with air so improves heat dissipation efficiency.

Yeah, I figured.

And about the installation, I'm going to get the guy at the repair shop to do it. When repairing they give you a free warranty if it breaks.

Level 34
Why did he tell you you need a new one? Is there something wrong with the CPU, or is he simply recommending you to upgrade?

Level 34
Then I wouldn't bother upgrading the laptop. As Blarg said, you aren't going to get much of an upgrade and if there's nothing wrong with the CPU, just use that laptop until it dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.