• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upgrading a unit to a unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've been searching for how to do this for a while, and I've found nothing so far, so here it is. How do I have a unit upgrade into another unit, like in dark deeds where the young man can upgrade into a milita.

Please help me!

Level 2
No, that's really not what I wanted. The unit upgrades itself sort of like a building. I found an unprotected map this was done on, and as far as I can tell, it's not done in the character editor, it's not an ability, and it's not a trigger. :?

can anyone help me?

Level 5
Yeah, I can. It's the tinker's ultimate. In the spell, all you need to modify is the starting out unit, and the unit it upgrades to. Then make that same spell again, just reverse them. Then give the spell to your unit.

Level 2
Sorry, that's still not it, I guess I didn't word it correctly.

For anyone that hasn't played dark deeds, this is what It looks like.

help6uf.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words. :)

Level 6
Umm.
There must be a trigger in there somewhere.
The best way i can think of doing it is make the unit have a unit it sells (Object Editor-Techtree-Units Sold), ie the Young Man is in actual fact selling the worker. Then there is a trigger which goes something like this:

UpgradeYoungMan
Events: A unit Sells a unit
Conditions: Unit type of Selling Unit equal to Young Man
Actions: Unit- Replace Selling Unit with Sold Unit

Hmm. Thats how i would do it. I can't remember whether it takes time to become a worker/warrior (does it? if so i'm stuffed)

Bort

Level 2
Bort said:
Umm.
There must be a trigger in there somewhere.
The best way i can think of doing it is make the unit have a unit it sells (Object Editor-Techtree-Units Sold), ie the Young Man is in actual fact selling the worker. Then there is a trigger which goes something like this:

UpgradeYoungMan
Events: A unit Sells a unit
Conditions: Unit type of Selling Unit equal to Young Man
Actions: Unit- Replace Selling Unit with Sold Unit

Hmm. Thats how i would do it. I can't remember whether it takes time to become a worker/warrior (does it? if so i'm stuffed)

Bort
ya that soulnds about right
in a lot of pre tft (the frozen throne) maps people use it like this
events:a unit levels up
conditions:unit=level 10 or is it 9 unit=red man
events replace red man with big red man using relitive life and mana

or the trigger goes some thing like that...

Level 2
That still doesn't seem to be right. But the results that I got might help someone figure out what's going on.

help7vn.gif

I used the base unprotected map that I have, and I used a unit that was already able to be upgraded. The way I did it with the units selling the unit didn't work in that 1. the new unit warped a few feet away from the old one, and 2. that the other upgraded units kept the same units selling. It's kind of confusing so I added the picture.

ok, to a unit you want changed do next:

Go to object editor - click on peasant (example) and go under techtree - units sold, and add a unit you want, in this case I put a footman.

Now create a trigger:

Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit Sells a unit
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Sold unit)) Equal to Footman
    Actions
        Unit - Remove (Selling unit) from the game
        Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Buying unit)) at (Position of (Selling unit)) facing Default building facing degrees

Level 6
my trigger works better: for yours (elfwarfare) youll end up with 2 footmen, onr at a different position,and it wont work for any upgrade (ie to young man or militia)

1st: no it will not, i tested it.

2nd: nope, only if you give an unit to another to sell it, and of course we want that..... <_<

the unit wouldn't be affected if it doesn't run an event, so the trigger is good.....

EDIT: and this was a quick trigger, I don't have time for a real triggering now, so ill create a better one tomorrow, when i have time...

Level 2
wait..I think this is what you want
eh try the unit to--->building then modify tech tree upgrades to section keep at mind that what ever it upgrades to becomes a building even if thats not a normal classification it has some nasty draw backs that being among them here are 2 more
1)new unit catches fire when its low on hp...lol
2)if unit is a hero when it dies it wont disapate and wont revive at an altar dont know about triger revive ...I hope this is what you wanted...

Level 2
This is driving me crazy, the way he does it is not a trigger. I deleted all the triggers and it still worked. There are no values in the character editor that have anything to do with it, I have no idea how he did it!

Level 6
oh well. i'll find it for you. My friend has a deprotected version of DarkDeeds (which i have been very careful not to use, i even contacted weevilman over msn to get help for the scorecode trigger). I'll borrow that for a little while and check up on it for you.

Bort

Level 2
What do you mean "make the upgrade off a building"? that makes no sense to me!

And bort.. if you do would to that, I'd love you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.