• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Untargetable Tree Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've placed a Tree Bridge on my map (you know, the big tree doodad that, when destroyed, falls and creates a "bridge"). It's supposed to die upon getting hit by a single-target spell Thunder Strike (based on Finger of Death). However, when I try it ingame, it doesn't work; it cannot even be targeted by the spell (it says something like: "must target a unit with this ability"). To make it even worse, even the hero that has the ability can't attack it, although the cursor changes color as if he should be able to.

Of course, I've set the targets of both the hero and the spell to include "Debris", which is what the Tree Bridge is set to be targeted as in the Object Editor. Any ideas?

Level 24
In order to target a tree you need to either destructible or you need to have an ability that can target trees you can not target a tree with any spell or unit because otherwise you could verry easily have told your whole army to attack a tree instead of an enemy and simply lost because of that mistake.

Level 8
I've placed a Tree Bridge on my map (you know, the big tree doodad that, when destroyed, falls and creates a "bridge"). It's supposed to die upon getting hit by a single-target spell Thunder Strike (based on Finger of Death). However, when I try it ingame, it doesn't work; it cannot even be targeted by the spell (it says something like: "must target a unit with this ability"). To make it even worse, even the hero that has the ability can't attack it, although the cursor changes color as if he should be able to.

Of course, I've set the targets of both the hero and the spell to include "Debris", which is what the Tree Bridge is set to be targeted as in the Object Editor. Any ideas?

Have you tried triggering it?

Level 3
If he had wouldn't he had told us or linked us the trigger?

This. The only triggered part of the spell is a random level-dependent stun, which doesn't matter in this situation anyway.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see StaRMaestroS' reply. Is there no other way than triggering it entirely?

Level 8
This. The only triggered part of the spell is a random level-dependent stun, which doesn't matter in this situation anyway.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see StaRMaestroS' reply. Is there no other way than triggering it entirely?

I tried everything i could think of in Object Editor, I even changed
Targeted As, to almost every value but still nothing.
Then I googled it, and found that other people have had problems with this in the past and the only acceptable replies were those who called for triggers.
So yeah, trigger it. (
And may I suggest an Instant(no target) ability for this because you can't target it (xD) like thunder clap.

Level 3
I tried everything i could think of in Object Editor, I even changed
Targeted As, to almost every value but still nothing.
Then I googled it, and found that other people have had problems with this in the past and the only acceptable replies were those who called for triggers.
So yeah, trigger it. (
And may I suggest an Instant(no target) ability for this because you can't target it (xD) like thunder clap.

And totally change the actual spell? Damn it. Do you think that at least the tree targeting spells (that edo494 suggested above) could work?

Level 8
The only triggered part of the spell is a random level-dependent stun, which doesn't matter in this situation anyway.

And totally change the actual spell? Damn it.

Well since you can't target it... it has to be done with triggers...

Do you think that at least the tree targeting spells (that edo494 suggested above) could work?

edo didnt read what you said because he talks about trees, while you talk about a bridge.

EDIT: Have you considered using a Lever? or a Circle? Do you want it to be with a spell?

Level 33
You can't simply treat all the options are working within World Editor (Object / Trigger / World - Editor).
To be able to make a spell target trees, you have to base your spell from a spell that actually can target trees by default (Eat Trees / Sentinel / etc)

You can't simply go to a spell and mark the box Tree as its targets allowed, the spell must be by default target trees (for this case).

Level 8
You can't simply treat all the options are working within World Editor (Object / Trigger / World - Editor).
To be able to make a spell target trees, you have to base your spell from a spell that actually can target trees by default (Eat Trees / Sentinel / etc)

You can't simply go to a spell and mark the box Tree as its targets allowed, the spell must be by default target trees (for this case).

He is talking about a bridge actually.

Level 3
Seeing as there are no options available, I'm gonna change the idea of the spell entirely to something instant or AOE-targeting. Thanks and +rep to everyone who replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.