• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unprotecting my own map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Simply use the unprotected version of it you gave to friends or backed up.
Ok, I am guessing you did not particually do that...

Well luckilly for you it is impossible to protect maps, however you will no longer be able to use WE to edit the map (you will need to make a custom editor).

This is why you should always provide open source versions of your map to the public or distribute open source versions among trusted friends. It is very risky keeping the easilly editable version only to yourself, cause if your backups fail or something happens to you it becomes hard to maintain your map.

Incase you wonder why I have not directly helped you, it is cause this site does not support the discussion of repairing damaged maps.

Level 7
When I am editing my own projects I tend to keep a backup somewhere external, be it either my other computer (or this one if I am using that) or a flash drive.

It's always good to have multiple copies as check points so that way if you do... say lock yourself out, or it gets deleted or corrupted somehow, you can go back to a previous version and only have to do some of the most recent changes and not start all over.

I agree totally with Dr Super Good, testers always come in handy.:)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Be aware that windows 7 and I think vista utalize a system called shadow copies. This can allow you to rollback a map file for up to many months (even years) in the case of it becoming spontaniously curropted. Logically this will not save you if the partition is lost.

Backing up is only 1 from of protection. It still has the flaw that if something happens to you (lets say you die for some tragic reason that I hope never happens to you), the map will become difficult to maintain and patches may cause it to have incompatibility problems so it can eventually become unplayable.

A good example of this was when the return bug (type casting exploit) was removed which caused a lot of old maps to become completly unplayable. As no easilly editable version of them existed in the public domain, the maps were lost in usable form (even if people wanted to play them).

Status
Not open for further replies.