• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit Cost Calculation for Melee Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I don't know if this is the right Forum to ask this but:
- I am looking for a formula for calculating the unit cost of the first trainable non-worker unit (or the basic one, to be exact) in a standard melee.

Well, just a reference based on the gold cost for Footman and Grunt. Doesn't have to include other units (because of the differences in range, ms, vision, and other stuff.)

I used to have a copy of the calculation (that I found online) of the unit cost used for Grunt and Footman which I used as a reference for balancing units in the Altered Melee map that I was working on. Sadly, my old PC corrupted and I lost all files. So I was trying to find it again but didn't have any luck searching for it. So if anyone knows the right formula or have some kind of a calculator system for it, could you please tell me? It'll really help me reduce time trying to balance out units in my new altered melee map.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Level 14
What do you mean like a hit points per gold comparison or something like that?
The ones that I was using before had Attack (atk cd, no. of dice, sides per dice, base dmg), HP and Armor in its formula.
Kinda like (Atk, HP, Armor) per gold comparison.

But if there's one that has more things included (like MS, Attack Range, etc.) then that'll be much better.

The ones that I was using before had Attack (atk cd, no. of dice, sides per dice, base dmg), HP and Armor in its formula.
Kinda like (Atk, HP, Armor) per gold comparison.

But if there's one that has more things included (like MS, Attack Range, etc.) then that'll be much better.

I see, well I don't know about anything like that. One thing I'd point out is that the cost of a unit is not related to its stats, there are units that "should" cost more or less for their stats for each of the 4 races if that was how they were priced but there's considerations other than stats to take into account with these things.

Level 27
I see, well I don't know about anything like that. One thing I'd point out is that the cost of a unit is not related to its stats, there are units that "should" cost more or less for their stats for each of the 4 races if that was how they were priced but there's considerations other than stats to take into account with these things.
I agree, while the price is primarily related to the unit's stats, there are some other things that should affect it as well, such as its abilities, related upgrades and the role they perform in the race.

Level 14
I fully agree with this. But the thing is, like I said, I am only gonna use this "formula" as a reference or basis to use to make the balancing of the cost much easier as it would probably require less adjustments on the unit's cost. Also, I forgot to mention that I am talking about the first trainable non-worker units in each race (my bad) because it's easier to work on that part.

Edited the actual post to clarify some things that I was looking.
"the unit cost of the first trainable non-worker unit"

Status
Not open for further replies.