• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unique Save/Load System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Okay, so this is a request regarding a save/load system. I guess it's pretty safe to say that every save/load system I've seen outputs a code when a user performs the 'save' command, and when they say they want to load they put in the code and what they saved is retrieved. That's not what I want.

What I want is a save/load system based on the name of the user. So, when a user enters my map, where ever they got up to in the game is instantly retrieved.

One thing I should mention about this requested system is that I want it to save anything and everything the player has (i.e. all units and all the items the units have), most likely when they type in '-save' or something.

The code can be in GUI, Jass or vJass, but if it must be in Jass or vJass, I might request a few comments explaining how to configure the code to my map (if required). If I do not need to configure the code (like telling it what units and items to include in the save), then comments are optional.

Not meaning to insult anyone, but I somehow doubt that I will get a system any time soon. After all, it seems that the most efficient triggerers all have 'something better to do', which is fair enough, but somewhat irritating to a noob coder like me :/

Please do respond if you are able to help or know of someone who is able to help. Thanks in advance.

Level 35
How come? I reckon it 'could' be possible if one were to rig it so that every time a new game started, it did a variable check or something under the array that the name in particular is when converted to an integer... but even that would be complex.

An alternative would be a save/load system that does generate a code, but it stores multiple units. If either someone could do that for me or explain how to do it myself, that would be very handy. If someone can do it in vJass, I would greatly appreciate it if they could then do it for me :3

Level 12
that is imposible in Multiplayer because... your map would have to change for everytime it is ran on every computer int he world at once... it would require a server storing info... you could store into a bot's info... but no further

Level 13
Hmm a save / load system stores only some information.

e.g. level of a player which is just an integer.

But the problem is, that wc3 cannot save information in your map.

So you can't save the information for a certain player anywhere.

in the common save/load system the codes cover each possible situation.

an example:

normal s/l system

player x types -save and has 2 footmen: System generates string value (e.g.) "f2"
f for footman and 2 for the number.

if he had 2 footmen, 3 grunts, 5 archers it could create somethign like: f2g3a5
that code includes every information the map needs to create the old situation.

in your case the MAP has to know what to spawn for certain players.
But that is simply impossible :)

Level 35
Well, when I say I want to store every unit, I mean I am only going to have 7 units maximum per player. Additionally, 6 out of those 7 will be heroes. Sooo... here's the information that I want stored:

1) The unit itself (of course)
2) The level of the unit
3) The items the unit is carrying

Is this much possible?

Level 5
A save load system works like this, it turns everything you want to an integer and then turns it into a code, when you load that code it will turn into all integers you saved which may be used to recover info from previous time played. Saving with '-save' is not possible because you would need somewhere to store the info and gamecaches aren't available in multiplayer.

The current save/load systems do not store anything. They simply encode a readable code that has already been implemented into a map.

Campaign save systems are different, but they are only used in campaign maps. You would have to get blizzard to allow a map to store data on Battle net in order to get your system request to work. but that's just not going to happen unfortunately.

Level 35
Hmm... well, in that case, how would I configure one of the current save/load systems to encode the data of whatever unit the player is selecting? That way, I could make it that you save your characters individually.

Well, the above is sort of a last resort. My other idea is that I'm wondering why it wouldn't be possible to encode the data of multiple units and put it all into one code. Is that much possible?

Level 13
You can encod ethe data of multiple units and put them in a code.

As I tried to explain you just create a string which contains certain parts which tell the map what to load.

Just compare it to the Dota Mode selection:

IF you type: -arsodmom the map knows "ar = all random, so = switch on, dm = death match, om = only mid"

Level 35
@Forgotten_Warlord:
Thx for the link, I'll check the system out hopefully some time today ;)
Is it possible to store multiple units like DarkAngelAzazel suggested, tho? 'Cause if I were to be able to accomplish that, it would be great.

@DarkAngelAzazel:
Well, that would definitely work, but the only issue I have with that is as soon as someone figures out how it works, they would be able to 'cheat' by glitching the system and getting high level heroes with excellent stats. Therefore, it would need to be encoded in some way, but how? :O

@Forgotten_Warlord:
Thx for the link, I'll check the system out hopefully some time today ;)
Is it possible to store multiple units like DarkAngelAzazel suggested, tho? 'Cause if I were to be able to accomplish that, it would be great.

@DarkAngelAzazel:
Well, that would definitely work, but the only issue I have with that is as soon as someone figures out how it works, they would be able to 'cheat' by glitching the system and getting high level heroes with excellent stats. Therefore, it would need to be encoded in some way, but how? :O

Find Ace_Hart save/load system. You can take it out of my old rpg, look up Ancient Lands orpg on epicwar.com this saves every unit you own and the code is relatively small, and hard to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.