• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Two question about max & arttools

Status
Not open for further replies.

.KC

.KC

Level 8
Can anyone tell me how I make a mesh invisble in an animation?

Example:
I want the head of a man to be invisible in the 'Stand" animation but
not in the attack animation...

And how do I make a mesh transparent? Like I want it to be 50%
transparent.

Thanks for everyone who help me. It will help me alot.

Level 6
how to make the mesh invisible:

select the head (with poly sub option) then right click on the selected head, now go down the drop menu, and choose hide selection

how to make the mesh transparent:

select the head, then right click on the selected, go down the drop menu and choose properties, under render control look after visibility, set the amount to 0.5 and there you go.

.KC

.KC

Level 8
I tried to follow the step you descriped above. Nothing worked for me.
I use max 5.1 and art tools to export. but it dont work in wc3. maybe its just me that are stupid.

Can you upload a example file en .max format, where its 50% transparent, and have a hide animation, ready to export to mdx format? Then I can look at it and see what I had done worng.

Thanks for the help;D

Level 6
3ds max can export models in many formats, goto hiveworkshop tools section and dl the 3ds/obj to mdx converter, then goto 3ds max 5 and open your model and goto file and down to export and then export it in OBJ format, now open the converter and find your model (in OBJ fomat) and select a destination (doesnt matter where) and click the big shiny button that says CONVERT now its in mdx file format.

Level 6
some step-by-step pictures

Attachments

• step 1.JPG
    step 1.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 87
  • step 2.JPG
    step 2.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 89
  • step 3.JPG
    step 3.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 85
Level 6
hey u asked how to make the model transparent i dunno if this works in warcraft try it out and if it doesnt work i dont know what to do, u could also try to use Warforger its a animation program

Attachments

• WarForger0.80.zip
    195 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: .KC
Stop confusing the guy.

Okey mister, here's what you have to do.

1rst select the mesh, now go up and look at the menus for one that says "Graph Editors"
select it and go into Track View - Curve Editor.

Now scroll down and look for the object that you want to animate in visibility. Select it(where it says, its name) and click in the menu that says "Track" then go to "Visibility Track" and click "Add".

Now if you take a look, above the object's name there's a new label that says "Visibility", select it and right-click it and click assign controller. Select "Linear Float" and click OK. afterwards click Add Key Button(it has a curve with a ^ symbol above) and add opening and ending keys for every animation, next select the opening and ending keys of the animations you want to be transparent(50%) and change the key value to 0.5. That's all

Reactions: .KC
Level 11
To make parts of a model transparent in WC3 you need something called the "alphachannel". That's not a real part of the model itself. It's a layer in the models material texture. The alphachannel "filters" parts of the texture out so they become transparent or even invisible. There are several Tutorials about using of the alphachannel on this site.

Thy

.KC

.KC

Level 8
Stop confusing the guy.

1rst select the mesh, now go up and look at the menus for one that says "Graph Editors"

Now scroll down and look for the object that you want to animate in visibility. Select it(where it says, its name) and click in the menu that says "Track" then go to "Visibility Track" and click "Add".

Now if you take a look, above the object's name there's a new label that says "Visibility", select it and right-click it and click assign controller. Select "Linear Float" and click OK. afterwards click Add Key Button(it has a curve with a ^ symbol above) and add opening and ending keys for every animation, next select the opening and ending keys of the animations you want to be transparent(50%) and change the key value to 0.5. That's all

Thanks, for leading me on the right way. Sadly I cant get it to work.
Maybe you can upload a simple box model in .max format with 2 animations.
"Stand 1" = invisibilty
"Stand 2" = visibility

Then I can look what exactly you have done.

And the value in the red square on the picture. Is that the key value?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    40.2 KB · Views: 141

.KC

.KC

Level 8
Stop confusing the guy.

yea put the value in that red square on the picture you selected

and don't forget to set the 2 Color alpha in Material editor

also I uploaded a max file here :) take a look

Thank you to both of you. Now it work for me..;D + rep

Status
Not open for further replies.