1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Tutorial #2] Scripting

Discussion in 'Unity 3D' started by Statharas, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You complete a system for your game, and when you're satisfied with the way it works, you move it to C#.

You're satisfied with your AI Class? C#!

2. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think I will side with Tr!KzZ on this. If coding in C# is preferable for some reasons then it would be wiser to code in C#. Moving a code between two different languages is not something that I would like to do. That may cause big problems.

Does C# has some advantage over UnityScript in terms of performance?

3. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Obviously, yes.

4. Tr!KzZ

Tr!KzZ

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sorry but I think it's just a waste of time to code with two languages.. just doing the first one and converting it to the other.. makes no sense for me, as you could do everything with both either.

C# is just less confusing when it comes to scripting, as you have to write additional stuff that makes it clear in use and the syntax isn't that hard (beside of that most of the people on the Unity3D Forums use it, so you'll find a lot of tuts about that)

And I guess you get some helping hands here and there if you want to create specific stuff you haven't learned, yet. or whatever ;)

5. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You should help me with tutorials around here.

6. Tr!KzZ

Tr!KzZ

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe a bit in some stuff.. but currently I'm busy with a CryEngine Game Project ^^

I can add some tuts about something, but this will take a bit, I'm more into answering questions for the moment, due of time lack.

7. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Any ideas on how to connect to a MySQL DB?

8. Tr!KzZ

Tr!KzZ

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  9. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What about WITHOUT PHP.

10. Tr!KzZ

Tr!KzZ

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You can use other languages that may access the db instead (e.g. PERL), but php is preferred as it's easier and works well. I don't know about all the other possible languages you could use, I guess Java will work as well.

Here's a simpler version of it: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Easy_MySQL_Submission

(or you need to wait till i find some time to make the tutorial, it's very basic, easy and with lot less lines then those both tutorial links have ^^)

11. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What about the use of a JavaScript and the System.Data and mysql.data libs?

12. Tr!KzZ

Tr!KzZ

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As far as I can see JavaScript is more complicated.. needs more lines of code and stuff to be written to work. If you want to try web-based databases php is better.

I haven't used JavaScript at all, therefor I can't help you with tis, except using the better php method. Here's the Link I found: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/28500-SQLite-Class-Easier-Database-Stuff maybe it can help u a bit understand the logic behind the JavaScript pat with the System.Data & mysql.data files

There was also a solution for JavaScript on the older links I gave you: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Server_Side_Highscores#JavaScript_-_HSController.js