• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Turning Unit Damage into a variable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Heya, I'm using WEU and GUI, and basically, I'm stumped in trying to find how to turn damage a unit does into a variable in order to implement it in my triggering. In essence, what I'm trying to do is create a trigger where a unit attacks another, and as an action it sets the attacked unit's mana to mana of attacked unit minus the damage done.

However, in browsing options for a "value" to subtract from the attacked unit's mana, the only remotely near way to implement "damage done" was the one named "event - amount of damaged done". The problem here, is that it requires the event to be "damage done/taken", which is only available if I use a specific unit event, whereas in the circumstances of my trigger, it has to be a generic unit event...

...So any ideas on how I might go about doing this?

Level 12
Heya, I'm using WEU and GUI, and basically, I'm stumped in trying to find how to turn damage a unit does into a variable in order to implement it in my triggering. In essence, what I'm trying to do is create a trigger where a unit attacks another, and as an action it sets the attacked unit's mana to mana of attacked unit minus the damage done.

However, in browsing options for a "value" to subtract from the attacked unit's mana, the only remotely near way to implement "damage done" was the one named "event - amount of damaged done". The problem here, is that it requires the event to be "damage done/taken", which is only available if I use a specific unit event, whereas in the circumstances of my trigger, it has to be a generic unit event...

...So any ideas on how I might go about doing this?

There's an ability called feedback that does exactly that.

Have you ever played the game?

Level 5
...Yes, and how great that would be, units having an ability named "this ability means this unit hurts enemy morale aka mana when it attacks", and its awesome especially since itll TOTALLY work when I need to use this sytem for affecting only a certain type of unit, riiight. :hohum: Aside from the sarcastic comments, have we got any ideas concerning the question I've asked...?

Level 11
Hes (Vegavak) got a great point. It'd be easier to trigger that ability to work then to make it from scratch.

Use a hidden spell book to remove the ability icon.

Then when the unit is attacking the certain other unit type, add the ability to that unit. Then remove the ability if it attacks other unit types.

Don't knock other people's ideas until after you've tried them.

Level 5
Hes (Vegavak) got a great point. It'd be easier to trigger that ability to work then to make it from scratch.

Use a hidden spell book to remove the ability icon.

Then when the unit is attacking the certain other unit type, add the ability to that unit. Then remove the ability if it attacks other unit types.

Don't knock other people's ideas until after you've tried them.

Well then, could you please explain how to use/put in a hidden spell book? Now that you've actually clarified how to do so using an ability, I can understand. But simply saying "use feedback" is as helpful as telling someone who say needed to work out a complex trigger a mere "use triggers"...

Status
Not open for further replies.