• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Turbosquid Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Hi! I was just looking at some models people submitted at turbosquid for ideas. But then an idea hit me. People get money from their models when people buy them, right? Why don't the modding members of THW make good, animated models, and upload them onto turbosquid for a price of around $5-15 in pay to THW? If you can do that, anyway. Well, it's just a thought!

Level 21
If any of you are unaware what Turbosquid is, well basically they buy your models to sell them onto other people, but they pay good money and if you have any old (but half decent) models lying around it might be worth a look; you never know, you might even get famous.

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm/FuseAction/ProcessSmartSearch/intMediaType/2

look there for some general details on some models and how it works, i personally support this idea.

Level 13
I agree that we have some talented artists here at the hive. However, making a warcraft model and making a character with 22,649 polygons and 12,252 vertices are completely different. I have looked at the turbosquid site. Personally I dont think its a bad idea, but we wouldnt make any money.
Compare any work on the hive to this model on the turbo squid site.
Masha_01.jpge0b7e95d-25a6-4627-8bfc-7968345ab48eLarge.jpg

As I have said, its like comparing grapes to watermelon's, they are both fruits, but they are completely different.

Edit: Another point, how can we make models to sell on a site where stuff like this is free:
MGunSide.jpgf773b36d-d0a0-4ce3-bc8f-b118621971bb.jpgLarge.jpg

Anyway, I understand you have the hives interest in mind, and Im not saying you guys shouldnt do it. I just dont think it is likely you will raise any money.

Level 45
low poly modeling is different from high poly modeling and...well ..its rather more vast and complex, kinda like...drawing a stick figure with good proportions to a full on figure with detail.

1. Chriz mainly does anims.
2. Olof doesn't use max or complex progs, he uses vertex modifier thus he wouldnt be able to host the models unless he converts them.
3. and TDR? Well dunno about him, i really doubt he cares but his work is definitely quality and i would love to see it there.

As for the other people, yeah im sure their others that are okay (im not saying im good or stuff), id just hate to see people putting geomerges there or a sphere and cylinder and calling it a person. .. >.< and i think if you dont have a actual money thing you can get the models hosted for people to dl for free.

(im not insulting you people)

I read the site and they host your stuff for free, but they get around 50% profit, so im rather pleased with that than the 90% of what i thought they take, i might put my rat head model up once i get if fixed and if i can convince my dad to make an account :D :

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Why would people pay for them there, when they can get them free here?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can not sell WC3 quality models, no one will buy them since average models in RTS games are 4* better than WC3. However, like stated, high poly and skin pre optimized models may be wanted.

But I noticed many problems. A lot of models use WC3 included skins which means that thoes skins can not be incuded or modified since it would breach the WC3 terms of use (selling blizzard's property). Also many models this site makes are based on other games which again violates their copywrite and can violate copyrighted ideas.

Also most of the modelers here are pretty much kids when compaired to people who actually have paper saying they can model stuff and well like thoes on that site. The average price is 100$+ which no one will pay for even chriz's work, no offence but no one here can compete with people like thoes.

Anyway, I always wondered how you lot modeled creatures, I can not even model inanimate objects well.

Level 13
Supa- One of the reasons i like this community is that you can get your models and reasources for free, thus showing a sense of player helping player. Please do not seek to change this, most of the models on that site are to be used in actual games so the chances of most of us even getting something good enough to be a 20$ item is unlikely.

IMO: those heads wouldnt make the 20$ mark, try around 5$ and cross yer fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.