• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Trouble with hashtables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello, first post on here.
I am trying to create a charge/dash ability which when cast moves the unit forward a distance based on its current movement speed.
I have been attempting to trigger it in GUI using hashtables, following these two guides:
Hashtables and MUI
A Complete Beginners Guide to Hashtables

Here are the triggers:

Hashtable creation on initialisation:
  • Charge Init
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet CRUSADER_Charge_Hashtable = (Last created hashtable)
      • Hashtable - Create a hashtable
Cast:
  • Charge cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Charge!
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet CRUSADER_Charge_Distance = ((Current movement speed of (Triggering unit)) x 0.04)
      • Set VariableSet CRUSADER_Charge_Time_Remaining = 2.00
      • Hashtable - Save CRUSADER_Charge_Distance as 0 of (Key (Triggering unit).) in CRUSADER_Charge_Hashtable.
      • Hashtable - Save CRUSADER_Charge_Time_Remaining as 1 of (Key (Triggering unit).) in CRUSADER_Charge_Hashtable.
      • Unit Group - Add (Triggering unit) to CRUSADER_Charge_Group
Hashtable loop every 0.04 seconds
  • Charge loop
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.04 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in CRUSADER_Charge_Group and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set VariableSet CRUSADER_Charge_Distance = (Load 0 of (Key (Picked unit).) from CRUSADER_Charge_Hashtable.)
          • Set VariableSet CRUSADER_Charge_Time_Remaining = (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit).) from CRUSADER_Charge_Hashtable.)
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • CRUSADER_Charge_Time_Remaining Greater than 0.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to ((Position of (Picked unit)) offset by (CRUSADER_Charge_Distance, 0.00))
              • Hashtable - Save (CRUSADER_Charge_Time_Remaining - 0.04) as 1 of (Key (Picked unit).) in CRUSADER_Charge_Hashtable.
            • Else - Actions
              • Hashtable - Clear all child hashtables of child (Key (Picked unit).) in CRUSADER_Charge_Hashtable.
              • Unit Group - Remove (Picked unit) from CRUSADER_Charge_Group.
I have tried following the guides to the letter but when I order the ability to use the spell, nothing happens.
I have tried troubleshooting it by having other abilities trigger it, but still nothing happens, which leads me to guess I have made a mistake in the hashtables somewhere along the way.

I'd be grateful for any help you could offer a noob :)

Thanks

Level 13
In your first trigger, the variable should be placed after the hashtable's creation. Otherwise, it might refer to another hashtable created somewhere else or none at all. Then, this:
Should be:
The move unit action may return wrong results.
  • Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to ((Position of (Picked unit)) offset by (CRUSADER_Charge_Distance, 0.00))
Currently, the unit will be moved (a little bit) to the right (positive X - axis). Use "(Point with polar offset)" instead, where it requires a location, distance and angle as info. For example:
  • Set unitPos = (Position of (Picked Unit))
  • Set newPos = (unitPos offset by CRUSADER_Charge_Distance towards (Facing of (Picked Unit)) degrees)
  • Unit - Move (Picked Unit) instantly to newPos
  • -------- Don't forget to destroy points after using them. Else, they'll leak. --------
  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_unitPos)
  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_newPos)
You could also turn loop trigger off when the unit group is empty, and turn it back on once a unit casts the spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.