• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Triggered evasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I basically want to create an evading ability and i know it's possible because i've seen people do it. Anyways, i simply want to trigger the miss because i want to create a different floating text is all that would not only work with attacks, but also spells too (which reg crit doesn't) plus i;d also want to add an animation to make the dodge look more realistic.

So if anyone can tell me how this is done that would be great (hopefully i get a response this time...)

Level 11
Hehehe... how should I tell you all this? It would mean making the spell. Ok, here is what is possible, and here is what is going to be buggy.

-> It can work with attacks - heal the unit immediately. It never died to me even though it could've died from the hit.
-> Animation is possible because you can know when the unit is affected. You give it Aloc and you change animation.
-> As for spells, you can try to add the Spell shield for a second when the targeted unit has evasion... but the problem is that it might absorb other spells cast at the same time as well. PM Vexorian. He might have a solution. This is indeed complicated.

~Daelin

Level 11
I am already working at a Diablo map (4 sorceress spells and 2 paladin spells already finished) and the next spells will probably be two for the amazon (evade and another one) and two for the druid (non-summoning and of course, no volcano). So it will take a while until the final release.

~Daelin

Level 3
you have to register 'takes damage' for the unit when it learns the skill and then check the chance to evade, imediatly heal for the damage amount. this will work for everything that does dmg (spells, attacks, trigger damage but no auras like healward) if the attack kills the unit it will always day thats the disatvatage. the add-aloc method sux (sry dealin) because it will remove all buffs, make u lose ctrl etc.

oh dealin which sorc spell have you done, im working on the same things right now (i have 1), for my hero arena.

Level 7
Damn I was about to suggest just that but you stole my thunder, oh well I agree with him. The register Damage taken is the way to go, it'll count spells,attacks anything that is thrown the targets way. The only problem I forsee is that it might also register when they take splash damage as well

Level 4
You forget that, evading spells does not mean only to evade damage, but logically, it has to evade both the damage and the spell effects. There is currently no known way to remove the effects of a specific casting of a spell without having to remove the effects of previous castings.

Nevertheless I found out a nice way to block the effect of a spell before it hits the target by using a Spell Shield Amulet trick. I'll add it to my next spell pack very soon.

Level 10
Well i know how to trigger to physically dodge spells: that's not a problem and dodging attacks i'd rather detect for if the unit is attacked and give it a 100% dodgeing passive rather then compesnsate fro damage because that eliminates even taking damage and the anim will work better that way. (you don't dodge after they finish their swing).

As for the spells, i simply have to trigger a dark summoning dummy spell to move my hero perfectly out of the way of the spell and set up a small trigger if she isn't targeted with a st ability but rather an AOE. I already made a spell like this that worked rather well and quite effectively without any bugs.

I suppose i could simply trigger this for attacks as well as spells because this way i don't even have to worry about triggered criticals (which i do have in my map)because the enemy can't hit what isn't technically on the map. Besides, that way the enemy always missed anyways because my hero was litterally moved outside of the game then from from one spot to another and put back in, like with impale.

I could make this actiavatble and that way it wouldn't be as much of a set back. Otherwise it could get annoying for the hero if she has no time to attack because she's constantly being moved to dodge attacks.

The reason why im not sure about her taking damage is because of the triggered damage that i have in my map which there is plenty of (and i like smooth dmaage to i set most of the damage in small amount but multiple times so it would become annoying) it in many spells. So she would either be too good as each time a dummy spell was used she dodged it, or too crappy because she'd always dodge and never have time to attack.

But anyways, try using dark summoning and making a triggered unit movemnt for smooth transition because it seems the easiest way to do things. I'll see if i can find the old map i got it from and i'll post the link here.

Unfortunately I don't have it anymore because it doesn't work on the map so yeah. I dunno.

Level 4
I can see some problems:

-The unit is attacked event fires when the attacker begins to attack. If the attacker is ranged, there would be a delay of 1-2s before the target is hit. What would you do during that interval? What if the target is hit by something else during the interval?

-Moving a unit will: stop channeling spells, ignore queued orders, and I believe it can't block instant spells such as Curse.

Level 11
So practically the only way you can do it is by permanently leaving a local opened for each unit which learns the evasion or for each unit trained which has this skill. Then the local should disappear only when the normal trained unit dies. Too bad but that's the only optime solution.

And as for spells, I hate that we cannot make icons invisible. Atleast there should be some kind of option in which we should be allowed to do this. I'm sure blizzard could do it but when I tried to suggest this to them through a PM, they said they couldn't receive info and suggestions via email. :x

~Daelin

Level 10
With mine it will dodge the first spell cast and the second one will automatically be canceleled from casting. Because there's never 2 spells cast at exactly the same time, there's no worry. Mine is activated by the first and she is removed so she can't be subjected to the second spell so there should never be any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.