• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Trigger targetting random points....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm trying to make a certain ability that would basically cause random aoe spells to pop within a certian range of the caster. (Let's say 500 to clarify)
The idea behind it goes as such:
Caster begins channeling the spell.
The trigger then creates 1 dummy in a random point that is also within 500 range of the caster. (this way the dummy won't be dropped on the other side of the map from the caster)
The dummy then uses his instant aoe spell effecting anyone within range and is then removed.
This keeps going until the channeling ends. (that doesn't have to have a specific trigger to it, I can just keep track by waiting actions and channel times)
My only real problem with doing this is making the trigger recognize this area of 500 around the caster and being able to drop units at random points within this area. None of the trigger options I've seen seem to be working and the rest seem to be fixed point based so they won't change positions with the caster.
I'd really like to be able to pull this ability off. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix it or if there's another way of going about this?

Please excuse this topic. I've been given my answer via private message. For anyone who has a similar dilema, This is what was sent to me:

Big Dub said:
Easy.
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (Random real number between 0.00 and 500.00) towards (Random angle) degrees) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Make dummy caster cast AoE spell, then get rid of em

Last edited:
Level 9
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit - Create 1 *** for (Triggering player) at (Random point in range of (Position of (Triggering unit)), with a maximum range of 500.00) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
Note: If you want to prevent memory leak, use variable for position of units.

Status
Not open for further replies.