• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

To modeleres, one and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I already know what half of you will comment after this request, so save the space and the opinion - "Just wait for StarCraft 2". Yeah, sure. If us sci-fi fanatics wait any longer for sc2 we won't be gaming anymore.

To all the modelers of The Hive community, I request this to you - Give a shot at at least one futuristic/science fiction-like model/skin.
We've seen any number of medieval fantasy models and skins put out, followed by the repeated would-bes and do-betters of the same old, same old...
Medieval fantasy maps are getting old, imho. That might be biased or opinionated or whatever you wish to call it, but honestly the only reason medieval fantasy maps pump more than futuristic ones do is because of an extreme LACK OF MODELS.
Not to discredit those who have put out excellent futuristic models and the like on the Hive, It all goes appreciated to scifi fanboys such as myself, no doubt.
However, we could always use more. The amount that we have is beyond substancial, but it would be nice to see more, and much more often.

So my request is this, why not all modelers at least open themselves to the idea of trying to pump out at least one futuristic/sci-fi model? I understand if you are stuck on medieval fantasy, but it does pay to be open minded :)

Thoughts, comments, suggestions and all the like welcome please!

-More important is actually an extreme LACK OF MODELS originally in warcraft. Not much maps use many custom models. And being dependent from others' models can be frustrating, because you never know if they finish they stuff or make enough of it.
-Most people EDIT models thus you don't see much war/siege machines and custom animations. Those people have limited modeling knowledge and it would be very hard to make more a futuristic model, especially if they don't know to skin properly
-Warcraft is medieval fantasy game, so in majority it attracts people who prefer that theme. Sci-fi fans then rather turn to other games, like Starcraft, C&C series, TA/SupCom (yes, also those games are moddable, although not as high degree). There are not many people (scifi fans) who went inot warcraft only to mod it to a sci-fi game, since other games would be more suitable
-Warcraft engine is adapted for a different gameplay, many things from futuristic themes are not avalaible and can be done only by heavy scripting, the most notably firing when running, tank moving turret, garrison firing (also from moving vehicles) and the movement of vehicles is terrible.

Although I made some tanks, but that was only because I like tanks and only tanks. I prefer more medieval combat because there can be also melee fighting and no much mass killing (less destructive AOE attacks).

Status
Not open for further replies.