• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tired of getting out of the bed to turn of your pc when you go to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Well I'm a lazy f***, and I cba to turn of my pc when I'm already in bed almost asleep watching some stuff, resulting in a waste of electricity, a thing that I really don't approve of. So I found some solutions I'd share:

When I watch a movie, tv show or anything like it I just drop the files onto a .bat file i wrote containing:

Code:
START /WAIT D:\"Program Files (x86)"\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe %* vlc://quit
shutdown -s -t 60

When I watch a YouTube channel or stream:

Open Run [win+R]
Open Command Prompt [Type "cmd" then press enter]
Type:
Code:
shutdown /s /t X
Where X is the time-variable in seconds.. 3600 therefore being an hour etc.

These commands will make your computer shut down without giving you the chance to save your open files, please keep that in mind.
If you underway regret your given command, open up the cmd and type "shutdown /a" followed by enter

Level 8
It wont work if you're watching stuff in your browser, and requires time after your media shuts off. Actually microsoft did a bad job with the power management, it always gets in the way when you activate it (like going into sleepmode midways in a movie).

Last edited:
Level 8
I can personally turn my desktop comp on by wake-on-lan (including from non-LAN IPs, natch) and off by logging into an sshd server on it with my laptop and giefing the command. I used to use the shutdown /t command on my laptop, but these days I just don't bother and just leave it plugged in and running.

Level 8
Actually resuming activity after I've settled down to sleep tends to make me more awake. I mean, even for me walking a few metres isn't quite hard enough to make me tired.

Level 8
Most of your solutions don't really work in the situation where you've already fallen asleep.

pull the plug

Never pull the plug, it can corrupt your data and it creates surges that can mess with your hardware.

OR download teamviewer on your iphone, and turn it off with that :)

A wireless mouse couldn't do that for you? :eekani:

-----------------------------------'

It's funny to see how people think so different when faced with this "problem"

Level 34
So how do you exactly do this 'shutdown a laptop'?
I recently got aware of the so-called 'reboot' after I left my laptop on for nine months.

But really, I only use the monitor turn off-timer with 30min and put the brightness to 0.
Shutting it down is rather rare.
I don't turn off my laptop either, but I have my main PC hooked up to a TV to watch movies on ant it's a slight inconvenience to get up and turn it off. My fans aren't that loud, but I like it as quiet as possible.

Level 8
Restarting your laptop, windows update ofc.
As for turning it off, that would be in battery-restricted situations, for example you want to listen to music in headphones while trying to sleep etc

Level 14
Blasphemy indeed

tumblr_ll6klcAy1U1qfjvxvo1_400.png

Status
Not open for further replies.