• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tips on making RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hi im making an rpg and am right now just designing the map. im almost done so ill be working on the triggers and stuff next. i was wondering if anyone has tips on how to manage an rpg or tricks i could use to make my life easier. later ill post the actual map so that you guys can critique it yourself.

Level 7
work on everything in modules, so if u want to change or improve something way later on, its easy

don't plan more than you can handle in a reasonable time frame

GET SOMETHING WORKING ASAP! don't make all the terrain and all the units and have nothing really working together at all, it'll keep u goin when u have something to at least test and work from

i hope its not an open rpg :S

Level 6
If the map is really big and takes much time to play then a Save/Load function is a must have...
And maybe depending on the size you plan to make the map...get some help from other people ^^
And what Raptor said is true too

Level 2
Well just to make it easier on you guys

1) map size 259x259
2) its not open rpg
3) im not big on the lvl save/load thing just cause then once you get to lvl 1000000 you dont even need to blink to finish game and other players with you sorta dont get the experience.
4) id like to keep most of the area the way it is as ive already thought up quests and perposes to relate to them

hope this info might save you the minutes to spare.

Level 6
But then your content needs to be finish able in less-time...and save/load is nice when you plan to upgrade your map and add high-lvl content!

The Terrian looks nice but there are to many green areas with nothing ^^ i would add there something too, even if its just some trees...or make them unable to visit and whats the purpose of the mass ziggurats? But overall i loke forwards to see more of the RPG :p

Level 2
if you mean the area to the top left, that is the "plains of medina" which are suppose to be where i ahve a battle between two factions. like a war or something. anyway i left it clear just cause. other areas you arent suppose to visit so meh. btw about the trees, i cant put anymore. it says the max of destructibles/trees is 6000 something and ive gone almost over. lol. the mass ziggurats is the last area wher e you are teleported. its suppose to be like an unholy citidal.

Level 6
Hmm ok, but aren´t there a lot of editors which removes such limits? like PitzerMikes WEU, if you still use the standard editor...you just upgrade no matter what, its a real big improve!And if theres a big battle ok ^^

Level 2
do any of you know sites that offer trigger help on things like selecting a hero, creating the save/load system, etc? I can make damn fine good terrain but the prob is when i start triggering and dont know what to do for what the omfg it takes forever

Level 6
This site overs some solid Save/Load Triggers for example( i think so atleast...or it was a other side ^^) and hero selection, what do you mean by that?

Like Tavern?Or with wisps and circels? or via Dialogue?
That shoudln´t be a big problem and i think i could help you with such things...

Level 7
i'd say use saving/loading ONLY if neccessary, cause really then u start seeing like level 200's just coasting through while some lvl 1's follow him around pointlessly leveling and getting items and not experiencing the rpg at all

Level 2
Well they both put up good arguments. its just in previous RPGs ive played, the experience really is lost for me when at the beginning of the game im lvl 1 and some other yahoo is lvl 9000 with all this crap. Then he just runs around killing all the boses and finishes the game in like 10 secs. but the fact about finishing the game also need to be put in and if the game takes too long then...well. also ive been wondering about a revival system. i hear a lot of people complaining about them in games so i was wondering, which would be better?

1) certain number of anks that can be purchased at high prices in towns.

or...

2) infinite spawning point

or...

3) a unit/hero that has a revive hero spell (like in ruroni kenshin rpg)

i like the ank idea better but id like to hear some opinions

Level 6
I dont like the unlimited respawning...if there arn´t at least some penalty for dying, the problem with Ank is that it takes away an item slot that can be annoying, but on the other side it would reduce the gold, so you actually have to spend some of your money for anks ^^

And with the reviver unit, thats possible but then it should be obtainable for everyone, so you dont have to got a certain class/hero/whatever when you want to play ^^

But i would go with respawning + penalty or anks.

Level 2
few. finally got all teh bugs out on the hero selection. i decided to go with the wisp/circle idea since it just seems more sensible. ive gotten as far as the opening movie. now im starting on the first quest. as for hero revival, i think im going with Anks. In previous RPGs ive played, it just seems to work better. btw, how should i work around creep/boss levles? i mean like what lvls should i make them for quests 1,2,etc cause i dont want the untis to be imba or stupid weak. my heroes are gonna grow and a steady rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.