• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thunderbolt Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Well, this is my first serious model I've made, used some knowledge i learned from my 3d Animation/Modelling class.
Concept:
Imperial_Navy_Thunderbolt.jpg

Note that I didn't try to copy the Wh40k Thunderbolt EXACTLY. More of a highly simplified version with a much shorter nose.

27zg0tf.jpg

241qk2e.jpg

2zz5jdy.jpg

It's a relatively simple model/mesh, took me bout 2 hours of working. Comments and Crits I guess...

Well, i dont really know what to do after this. I'm using a trial version of 3ds Max 5, so i have exactly 29.5 days to finish this model up.
Could someone point me what and where to go?

Level 5
Those blue things should just be a single arc going across with a good texture on it that make it look like there are spaces between them. Since it would almost look the same. But you can keep it that way if you want. Not bad tho! Just seems a little unrefined for the Wc3 engine.

Th overall shape looks good, but I think the edges around the motors look weird, the nose is not as cool as the real deal
Also, as already mentioned, these tubes can be simplefied to one wide tube and use a good texture

Did you attend a course on Mudbox aswell, cause then you could make a bumpmap and integrate in the texture so that it looks even more realistic, anyway I did a quick paint over to show you what I mean

attachment.php

T.

Attachments

• PaintOver.png
    PaintOver.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 239
Level 22
no, in our class we're just messing around with 3ds max 2010 since we just got oriented with it. anarchian recommended me to make it more like the original Thunderbolt, and i've tried, but i might have to remake the nose, since it looks like a ducks beak at the moment.
I'll see to making the power cord things into a single box object with a bend modifier.
I dont really know how to UV wrap, i understand the concept and what it looks like, but not what to do.
same thing with animations. i know about bones but thats pretty much it, so ill probably have to have someone else do animations/uv wrap/texture for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.