• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Thoughts on Quest Markers

Status
Not open for further replies.
That exclamation mark above a character, is that really necessary?

I'm making an rpg and I'm currently deciding whether to add exclamation marks or not. I personally feel that the experience won't be organic if players would just mindlessly follow the mark wherever it is. On the other hand, I wouldn't want players to be frustrated when they have to find the quest guy.

The quest description describes enough so why would there be a need for a visual representation?

Level 15
IMO quest mark correctly assigned gives some sort of engagement to the game. It's a sign that there'll be some event interesting to do. For example if you played Sacred 1, It was nice to see people with quest mark after a long journey walking through plains and plains of aggresive monsters.

Level 21
It's unfortunately necessary to have handholding indicators like that in multiplayer games. People don't have much patience when they're trying to keep pace with other players.

I would only do without indicators if it was a single player map or campaign where immersion is more important, and the player can take their time with each NPC or encounter.

Level 28
You have to balance immersion with convenience. Using, for example, a question mark for "quest in progress" and an exclamation for "quest complete" may be jarring, but it's less frustrating than digging through the quest log to remember who and where the NPC is and what he wants.

You don't have to use quest markers, but then you need to ensure the quest givers are easy to spot, mark the names and locations in the quest log, maybe give them a "quest not completed" reaction if a player gets close... And even then you'll probably still get "NPCs should use quest markers" comments from people playing the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.